RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

abrainard

Aug 11, 2008, 7:27 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2213 views)
Shortcut

Rwenzoris  (Africa: Uganda)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

My wife and I will be traveling in Uganda for 2 weeks climb Mt Stanley and go on a Gorilla tour. We are both experienced climbers, and would prefer to climb and/or summit in the Rwenzoris without a guide. Has anyone out there done anything like this?

Andrew

rnorthe

Aug 12, 2008, 2:40 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [abrainard] Rwenzoris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Andrew,
Funny that you posted this yesterday, as I just had a conversation with my climbing partner about doing the exact same thing in the near future. I can't offer any information about the climb as of yet, though I did just order a book titled 'Kilimanjaro & East Africa: A climbing and trekking guide', which supposedly includes info about the Rwenzoris. I've been scouring the internet for other information about the climb, and the only info I could find was an outside mag article from 2005.
http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200501/uganda-congo-1.html

If you have any other info, I'd be very interested.
Thanks,
Richard

mikeboomer12

Sep 24, 2008, 4:23 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [abrainard] Rwenzoris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from 3 months in Uganda. I would also suggest checking out Mount Elgon, it's an amazing volcanic range that has some great climbing and mountaineering. As for both Elgon and the Rwenzoris, due to military activity, and animals, I would suggest getting a local guide to go with you. I'm not paranoid, but I think it might be a wise idea. By global north standards, its not much, and it helps the local economy. Just my thought.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook