RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

sibat

Aug 14, 2008, 8:32 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2439 views)
Shortcut

CLIMBING TEAM
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys.

My boss has just suggested that our gym start a junior climbing team. (Well, at least for now a team no matter WHO joins) Our gym is SO SMALL and new we don't even have a hangboard. I just asked her to buy one. We only have 11 walls @ 20 ft each for top-roping and two 8X16 boulder walls. I have

I am an intermediate boulderer/climber and the ONLY person that works in this gym. I have NO IDEA how to sign up for comps or even how to train these kids to climb. Most of 'em just dogg the harness, grab the rope and tiptoe around holds.

I bought a book called "Coaching Climbing". Hopefully it will give me some insight. I would like to be successful in my team management, but MOST IMPORTANTLY I DON'T want to hurt or mislead any of my kids.

Any posters please just throw out whatever you can at me. Anything will be helpful! Teaching advice, drills, secret techniques :p.... Maybe I'll call Chris Sharma and Lynn Hill they'll wanna join my team!!! *sigh*

THX!

wzrdgandalf

Aug 14, 2008, 8:41 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sibat] CLIMBING TEAM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At this point a team seems a little ambitious. Some of the gyms around atlanta have started a ranking system almost like the martial arts. You could make a list of skills for each level and teach accordingly. Parents like to see some type of achievement based system for their kids. Eventhough climbing typically doesnt have this you could make your own.
For example:
white- the climber can tie their own figure eight knot, properly belay with an ATC, and climb up to a 5.7
Yellow- the climber can tie their own knot while blindfolded, teach another to belay, and climb a 5.8 of their choosing without a fall.
orange- etc....

Kids will want to progress through the ranking and then it would be easier to see what kind of kids you have to make a team out of, or decide if the idea of a team is worth it.

If you decide to go strait for the team aspect, i would say you should get the kids together and watch them climb, write down what you think about their performance and set goals for them in the first month. You may want to use the ranking system as your progress meter or use something else.

sibat

Aug 14, 2008, 9:12 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wzrdgandalf] CLIMBING TEAM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AMAZING IDEAS!

As for watching the kids: I all ready know which ones can do what and which ones will listen to instruction. Nevertheless, a ranking system is GENIUS!

TRUE BE IT: I just got off the phone with a lady named Rebecca Mullen- she ran a gym in Philidelphia that has hosted some national comps. I think she's done J-Tree and some other notable climbs. We're going to meet up sometime and talk about getting off the ground.

Thanks for the reply. Other posters still welcome!!!

chossmonkey

Aug 14, 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet!!!

Valarc

Aug 15, 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on the ages of the kids on your team, you might want to do some actual climbing technique drills. There are a bunch of exercises in the book The Self Coached Climber which could be used by a coach. If the kids are old enough to understand things like silent feet or the same-side-in traverse, those exercises can be great to teach good footwork and body position.

The exercises might even improve your climbing, too Wink

shoo

Aug 15, 2008, 1:30 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This sounds more like a climbing camp than a competitive team.

Myxomatosis

Aug 15, 2008, 3:02 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] CLIMBING TEAM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think your missing the whole point of climbing... to have fun... and that especially applies for the little ones. Don't make it overly competitive, let them be kids, look up some cool games (take away's is a fav of mine).

I think the whole point of a kids team is to let them grow as a person through climbing. And climbing tend's to be one of those sports that will really give them some great self esteem and something to be proud of, without the need to really push the competition side of things.

pendereki

Aug 15, 2008, 3:07 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] CLIMBING TEAM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:
I think your missing the whole point of climbing... to have fun... and that especially applies for the little ones. Don't make it overly competitive, let them be kids, look up some cool games (take away's is a fav of mine).

I think the whole point of a kids team is to let them grow as a person through climbing. And climbing tend's to be one of those sports that will really give them some great self esteem and something to be proud of, without the need to really push the competition side of things.

I have been thinking of starting a climbing team, or club, at the school where I teach. Can I quote you to the administration in my presentation?!

Doesn't some level of competitiveness stimulate self-improvement though?

CM

(This post was edited by pendereki on Aug 15, 2008, 3:13 AM)

kiwiprincess

Aug 15, 2008, 3:11 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A nutrition session.All the grown ups talking about being skinny in climbing is Crazy. Make sure they know what they need for growth and nutrition.

Good warm up/down Routines and stretching

Again as they are still developing I wouldn't let my kid use a hang board, just work on Climbing technique and develop strength through climbing.

shoo

Aug 15, 2008, 3:20 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not missing the "whole point of climbing" at all. I have worked at climbing facilities for camps for several years. While the distinction is slightly blurrier for younger kids, there is a difference between the ultimate goal of a team and the goal of a camp or an after school group. One is purely for fun. The other is ultimately to try to win comps.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't have any issues with calling an after school fun program or something a team. That might make some kids get more into it. Then again, it might scare some kids away. Your call.

You should think out ahead of time what your end goal of this is. Do you just want kids to have a good time? Do you want to focus on winning comps? Do you just want to introduce the sport to a lot of kids? Are you looking to focus on teamwork? Etc.

shoo

Aug 15, 2008, 3:21 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] CLIMBING TEAM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kiwiprincess wrote:
Again as they are still developing I wouldn't let my kid use a hang board, just work on Climbing technique and develop strength through climbing.

Quoted for truth. Seriously. This is not the kind of training you want your kids to do.

shockabuku

Aug 15, 2008, 4:41 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Contact USA Climbing.

http://www.usaclimbing.net/home.cfm

Particularly this page for coaching info: http://www.usaclimbing.net/...esources/coaches.cfm

sibat

Aug 15, 2008, 1:40 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] CLIMBING TEAM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I've heard a lot about that book in other forums.

Guess the masses speak out- I'll have to have a look at it. I appreciate your input.

sibat

Aug 15, 2008, 1:43 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] CLIMBING TEAM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good info. I am actually a certified personal trainer, so I have the in's and out's of working out down pat. Nutrition I didn't even think about- better keep my kids energized! As for the hangboard excercises I would leave that for the older kids and really just use it to crank out some pull ups. I don't have it in mind to have ten year olds doing first knuckle hangs- that's why I said in my post I don't want to hurt my kids.

sibat

Aug 15, 2008, 1:51 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] CLIMBING TEAM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ooooh! Jackpot! Thanks for the help cool cat!

Gmburns2000

Aug 15, 2008, 2:59 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sibat wrote:
I have NO IDEA how to sign up for comps or even how to train these kids to climb. Most of 'em just dogg the harness, grab the rope and tiptoe around holds.

USA Climbing would be a good place to start for comps.

t2stone

Aug 18, 2008, 2:09 AM
Post #17 of 17 (1938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:

yeah what he/she said!!!Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook