RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

krosbakken

Aug 22, 2008, 4:04 AM
Post #1 of 12 (7647 views)
Shortcut

aid climbing book
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is a good aid climbing book? Im looking for a book that will teach me all about it, like gear, skills, something along those lines.

Thanks

stymingersfink

Aug 22, 2008, 4:12 AM
Post #2 of 12 (7640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krosbakken] aid climbing book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

krosbakken wrote:
What is a good aid climbing book? Im looking for a book that will teach me all about it, like gear, skills, something along those lines.

Thanks
well... some will recommend you read passthepitonspete's posts, but that someone will not be me.

Honestly? Your best bet is to have a strong trad-climbing skillset, what with placing gear, cleaning said gear, solid working understanding of rope techniques.

After that? Just follow someone up a big wall, cleaning and hauling the entire way. If you can hang tough enough to top out, consider your apprenticeship largely complete. Begin accumulating the gear you have discovered you are lacking.

After that, all you'll need to do is have the will and determination to get yourself to to the top of a very big wall.

Try to farm yourself out to someone who's considering soloing a wall. They'll appreciate the help of a hauler/cleaner, you'll benefit from the education you can't help but get from the experience. You'll get out of it exactly what you put into it... always be willing to do more than necessary, never say quit, if their personality conflicts with yours just deal with it quietly. Big Wall aid climbing is all about suffering, both mentally and physically. It's not for everyone, but damnit it sure is fun!

krosbakken

Aug 22, 2008, 4:16 AM
Post #3 of 12 (7636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] aid climbing book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im looking for a name of a book but thanks for that post. but im still looking for a name, and im not saying im getting into aid I just kinda want to see what it is all about.

hacksaw

Aug 22, 2008, 4:17 AM
Post #4 of 12 (7636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

krosbakken wrote:

Thanks

Try and find a copy of Doug Scott's book BIG WALL CLIMBING. But, I have feeling is now sort of dated. I'm sure there are newer aid climbing books out there......

HM

stymingersfink

Aug 22, 2008, 4:18 AM
Post #5 of 12 (7635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

krosbakken wrote:
Im looking for a name of a book but thanks for that post. but im still looking for a name, and im not saying im getting into aid I just kinda want to see what it is all about.
Big Walls. Has Xavier Bongard on the cover.

edit to add amazon link and cover shot.

(This post was edited by stymingersfink on Aug 22, 2008, 4:21 AM)

stymingersfink

Aug 22, 2008, 4:20 AM
Post #6 of 12 (7632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

krosbakken wrote:
start here:

http://www.bigwalls.net/

IIRC, Middendorf is the author of the book I mentioned already. He was/is a bigwall God.

stymingersfink

Aug 22, 2008, 4:25 AM
Post #7 of 12 (7628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
krosbakken wrote:
Big Walls. Has Xavier Bongard on the cover.

edit to add amazon link and cover shot.
Actually, I find that the cover shot has changed on the more recent additions. This should show you what the book currently looks like, and give you a peek inside.

Partner gunksgoer

Aug 22, 2008, 5:27 AM
Post #8 of 12 (7606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heres a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aid_climbing

(This post was edited by gunksgoer on Aug 22, 2008, 5:27 AM)

fatoomchk

Aug 22, 2008, 9:11 AM
Post #9 of 12 (7582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read the Middendorf/Long book about 10 or 12 years ago. I thought it was a good introduction. Unless a new addition includes it, at the time there were a few newer widgets that were not included in the book (cam hooks, aliens etc). It doesn't cover some really basic stuff too - like "thumbing" your aiders.

It has all the basics though, so is a good spot to start.

Although, as an earlier poster mentioned, there is nothing like climbing with an experienced aider. I learned more in one 24 hour climb with an experienced aid climber than I did in 2 years bumbling around by myself.

stymingersfink

Aug 22, 2008, 2:10 PM
Post #10 of 12 (7550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fatoomchk] aid climbing book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fatoomchk wrote:
I read the Middendorf/Long book about 10 or 12 years ago. I thought it was a good introduction. Unless a new addition includes it, at the time there were a few newer widgets that were not included in the book (cam hooks, aliens etc). It doesn't cover some really basic stuff too - like "thumbing" your aiders.

It has all the basics though, so is a good spot to start.

Although, as an earlier poster mentioned, there is nothing like climbing with an experienced aider. I learned more in one 24 hour climb with an experienced aid climber than I did in 2 years bumbling around by myself.
yes... my first time even thinking about aiding was a situation I described originally, for 7 days 6 nights on Lunar Eclipse.

Like stickin' a spike in my vein, I've been hooked ever since.

Partner holdplease2

Aug 22, 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #11 of 12 (7511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The absolutely most interesting and technical book is by Jared Ogden, and I am pretty sure I've read most of them. The book is called Elite Technique, I still read it and am still learning from it. It is probably also the most up-to-date book out there. New techniques and gear develop over time.

Also, check the FISH products web site for information on how to do stuff and posts on Supertopo.

I learned how to aid climb from reading PTPP's posts here combined with the "Big Walls" book, then went out and started climbing without a mentor. There is plenty of information online and in books to do that if you know just a bit about trad gear in the first place.

Hope this helps,

-Kate.

flamer

Aug 24, 2008, 6:12 PM
Post #12 of 12 (7400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] aid climbing book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

holdplease2 wrote:
The absolutely most interesting and technical book is by Jared Ogden

Yep, that fucker gave away all the secrets!

Kate you're so smart! You're my hero!!!
Tongue

josh

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook