RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Myxomatosis

Aug 26, 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #1 of 11 (5898 views)
Shortcut

Little Flash Help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys... I have done a bit of re-search but I aren't 100% before I go making a purchase..

I found a really cheap 380EX flash ($100us)... and I plan on using it on my 400D. I am pretty sure that all the E-TTL funcitions should work?

If I want to use it off-camera I just need one of these cables?

http://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/...+camera+shoe+cord+2/

Is it possible to extend that lenght some how? Like buy two cords and attach them up?

Myxomatosis

Aug 27, 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #2 of 11 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] Little Flash Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok brought it.... Cool... need it for my assignment this weekend.

Anyone had any luck with connecting the cords together? The cord is $130... and the ebay wireless's are $75 (for the V2)...

wes_allen

Aug 27, 2008, 3:24 AM
Post #3 of 11 (5857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know much about cords, as I just use wireless, but I hear these are the people to go to for cables:

http://www.flashzebra.com/

Paul_Y

Aug 27, 2008, 2:56 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a modification I have done to extend the shoe cord, except that I used 5 pin mini-din connectors. I takes some guts and good manual dexterity to cut into that expensive shoe cord cable and rewire the new plug and receptacles!
http://www.flickr.com/...s/72157594546073354/

On thing to remember is that if you go with the ebay cheap triggers, they will not give you iTTL. They will only trigger the flash so you have to set the flash values manually. The same goes with the more expense but very reliable pocketWizards.

You can get wireless iTTL but every system is expensive (Just ask Wes!).

Here's another link. It's from the Strobist site and is a do-it-yourself synch cable that is not iTTL either but is relatively inexpensive and will let you trigger the flash from distances of at least 75 feet. I made one of these before I went wireless. It uses regular household ac plugs as extension cords for the flash cable. You do need to purchase, make or modify the cable that connects to the flash itself (which is usually a pc connector or, as in the case of some Canon flashes, a hotshoe adapter).
http://strobist.blogspot.com/...synch-cord-pt-1.html

You can get some really great tips on small flash photography from the Strobist site.

Good luck! - Paul

(This post was edited by Paul_Y on Aug 27, 2008, 3:02 PM)

Myxomatosis

Aug 27, 2008, 8:43 PM
Post #5 of 11 (5791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_Y] Little Flash Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys Smile My flash turned up this morning, man internet service is good these days Cool

I don't have a problem with setting manual as we learnt the basic's at course Smile I can get Canon at cost at work, but I think the cables will be an arm and leg still ($130 for a f'n cable!!! I thought Apple ipod power chargers were a rip at $80)

Another guy from photo course got the Skyports and he stands by them and for $250nz, its kind of the mid way price range.

Will read my way through Strobist today, thanks again.

Paul.... my mate pulled apart his 40D to add a filter for astrophotography... Laugh.. he said he was packing himself the whole way through.. but he got it back together alright.

(This post was edited by Myxomatosis on Aug 27, 2008, 8:57 PM)

flipnfall

Aug 27, 2008, 8:56 PM
Post #6 of 11 (5785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:
...I aren't 100% ...

You're starting to type like me! Laugh

GT

Partner epoch

Nov 19, 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #7 of 11 (5353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flipnfall] Little Flash Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Discuss.

rockforlife

Nov 19, 2008, 5:12 PM
Post #8 of 11 (5340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Little Flash Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Is that a Flash, I'm scadinavian(sp?), run run run!"

Anyway, besides the different men in the pictures. Its a toss up, i really hate when you wash peoples face out, but i guess its better than notbeing able to see who it is. Well with point and shoot pic anyway.

asellers98

Jan 22, 2009, 6:05 AM
Post #9 of 11 (5051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Little Flash Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The differences in your two shots, albeit drastic, are both bad examples. You can get great shots without a flash, and great shots with a flash. It is about learning how.

Shooting without a flash:

1. ISO 400 to 1600 and beyond
2. The largest Aparature lens you have
3. Decrease the shutter speed but not too much
4. Custom white balance (KEY!)
5. Utilize existing lighting. Don't shoot in the dark with a lighted background, turn them around and have ambient light work its wonders.
6. Use a monopod or tripod.
7. Bracketing works wonders for must have shots.
8. Distance balancing for ambient conditions. Reflections may throw off settings just as the sun produces flare, so can ambient lights, sometimes in less apparent ways.

Shooting with a flash:

1. ISO 100 is a good starting point
2. Custom white balance (KEY!)
3. Pay attention to the plane of focus relative to the flash projection. Just as in macro photography, you want the light to hit your subjects evenly.
4. Don't be affraid to be creative with the lighting, bounce, diffusers, etc.
5. Flash brackets really come in handy to get rid of red eye.
6. Take the flash controls in your own hands, don't be affraid to experiment. Just because auto calculates it one way, doesn't mean it is right for your style of shot.

I personally use a quantum T5D, and love to use all the different attachments for different lighting effects. Soft Box is my most often utilized method. And in case you are curious about my photography, the crap I put on here is just point and click style, I rarely take the time to work on anything special while at the craig.

The following shot was taken in a Costa Rican forest at 10pm in pitch black. It has its flaws, but shows that you can get pretty neat shots in complete darkness.

Flash during the day

Portrait with flash during the day

Indoor flash

guangzhou

Jan 23, 2009, 1:39 AM
Post #10 of 11 (5003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asellers98] Little Flash Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

asellers98 wrote:
The differences in your two shots, albeit drastic, are both bad examples. You can get great shots without a flash, and great shots with a flash. It is about learning how.

Shooting without a flash:

1. ISO 400 to 1600 and beyond
2. The largest Aparature lens you have
3. Decrease the shutter speed but not too much
4. Custom white balance (KEY!)
5. Utilize existing lighting. Don't shoot in the dark with a lighted background, turn them around and have ambient light work its wonders.
6. Use a monopod or tripod.
7. Bracketing works wonders for must have shots.
8. Distance balancing for ambient conditions. Reflections may throw off settings just as the sun produces flare, so can ambient lights, sometimes in less apparent ways.

Shooting with a flash:

1. ISO 100 is a good starting point
2. Custom white balance (KEY!)
3. Pay attention to the plane of focus relative to the flash projection. Just as in macro photography, you want the light to hit your subjects evenly.
4. Don't be affraid to be creative with the lighting, bounce, diffusers, etc.
5. Flash brackets really come in handy to get rid of red eye.
6. Take the flash controls in your own hands, don't be affraid to experiment. Just because auto calculates it one way, doesn't mean it is right for your style of shot.

I personally use a quantum T5D, and love to use all the different attachments for different lighting effects. Soft Box is my most often utilized method. And in case you are curious about my photography, the crap I put on here is just point and click style, I rarely take the time to work on anything special while at the craig.

The following shot was taken in a Costa Rican forest at 10pm in pitch black. It has its flaws, but shows that you can get pretty neat shots in complete darkness.
[image]http://aesphotography.smugmug.com/photos/33522873_LiNhA-M-4.jpg[/image]
Flash during the day
[image]http://aesphotography.smugmug.com/photos/10602630_TcKxE-M-3.jpg[/image]
Portrait with flash during the day
[image]http://aesphotography.smugmug.com/photos/20056513_Wdyoy-M-2.jpg[/image]
Indoor flash
[image]http://aesphotography.smugmug.com/photos/113522846_Z6qZi-M-1.jpg[/image]

Noticed you use smugmug, happy with them? I am considering a site with them, but not sure how committed I am yet.

pico23

Jan 23, 2009, 3:23 AM
Post #11 of 11 (4997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Little Flash Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used smugmug since last year. Works well. Although I prefer MPIX to EZ Prints so I'm switching to Zenfolio/MPIX at some point (I guess when my pro account runs out).

Smugmug was a nightmare to work around.

The reason is they use CSS but rather than allow you to write your own CSS, everything has to be done via turning off the defaults. What a pain in the neck.

Overall though it's good, and EZ Prints service is actually pretty decent, I just prefer the black and white printing to MPIX. EZ prints offers more color options but it's almost too much...luster, metalic, gloss, and matte. Other thing is MPIX ships faster and cheaper.

They do offer slightly different products though.

Smugmug charges $150 + 15% of the toal sales. You don't do anything but upload, the 7 day proof delay is nice, you can upload downsized JPEGs and then take 7 days from the order date to replace it with a final copy. Nice for big events with hundreds of photos since they take care of everything.

The other option is IFp3, you use who ever you want to print. The deposit the money to your paypal, you send out the print order. Basically another step for you but for low volume printing it's not a bad option.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook