Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Twobits

Aug 25, 2008, 4:03 PM
Post #1 of 21 (11208 views)
Shortcut

Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: _Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We are Gunks climbers who will be visiting Yosemite for the first time for 10 days in late Sept to early Oct.. We lead 5.9 at the Gunks but are not good crack climbers. 5.8 cracks in NH and UT is about our limit. Any recommendation on climbs in the valley or the meadows will be appreciated. Thanks.

climbingaggie03

Aug 25, 2008, 4:22 PM
Post #2 of 21 (11196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Twobits] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the super topo book, there's tons of moderates in it, with good approach info. My list of reccomended climbs would be something like this:
Royal Arches
Snake Dike
The Grack
Climbs at Knob Hill
Munginella
Commitment (it's 5.9 but have a look at it)
half a day at 5 and dime cliff
Chinouard Crack
Marginal (it's 5.9 R pure friction for 3 or 4 pitches)
After Six
Nut Cracker
I'm sure there are other good routes for you, I doubt it will be very hard to fill 10 days in the valley with climbing under 5.8 Good luck and Have fun

nthusiastj

Aug 25, 2008, 4:48 PM
Post #3 of 21 (11175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
Get the super topo book, there's tons of moderates in it, with good approach info. My list of reccomended climbs would be something like this:
Royal Arches
Snake Dike
The Grack
Climbs at Knob Hill
Munginella
Commitment (it's 5.9 but have a look at it)
half a day at 5 and dime cliff
Chinouard Crack
Marginal (it's 5.9 R pure friction for 3 or 4 pitches)
After Six
Nut Cracker
I'm sure there are other good routes for you, I doubt it will be very hard to fill 10 days in the valley with climbing under 5.8 Good luck and Have fun

Pretty much right on the mark.

I didn't really like Snake Dike though. I swear it's a joke that everyone says it's so classic. It's just a super long approach for an OK climb. But if you REALLY want to climb Half Dome, I guess it's the easiest way.

Gmburns2000

Aug 25, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #4 of 21 (11171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely recommend The Grack. Such a nice, low-angle crack climb that never really feels like a crack. Also, when I was there the first week in June, we were alone in that area the entire day.

Munginella was nice, too, but not as nice as I thought it would be. Still, it had an easy approach and was also void of other people the entire time I was there.

climbingaggie03

Aug 25, 2008, 4:57 PM
Post #5 of 21 (11162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nthusiastj] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it is a long walk, but I love the cruiser runout climbing with lunch on top of half dome, if you're going to do snake dike, it's best to go ultra light, I think I've posted my rack for it before, but it's basically every other nut from 6-13, Red and brown tri-cam, link cam number 2, yellow and orange TCU, and maybe a .75 or number 1 camalot. 6 trad draws, the lightest rope you can come by and a couple of lockers.

The first time I did it, my partner climbed (and led) in a swiss seat, and I've never taken a belay device, I just use a munter hitch, but I think maybe next time I'd take a belay device. Also, my second time we took 3 water bottles, with only 2 of them full at the start. We filled up all 3 when the trail leaves the river (treated with a steri-pen, but iodine or aqua mira would work too) and then drank like fiends when we finally got back to the river.

We did it in 11 hours car to car with probably 45 minutes chillin on top, light is right with snake dike.

summerprophet

Aug 25, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #6 of 21 (11132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well honestly climbingaggie nailed the valley perfectly, for what you are looking for.

Here would be the Meadows hit list:
hermaphrodite flake to the boltway
(really anything on Stately Pleasure dome)
zee tree
Tenaya peak (great if you simul or are fast on 5.0)
Hobbit book

sjderis

Aug 25, 2008, 5:29 PM
Post #7 of 21 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For a nice quick warm up - Do aunt fanny's pantry area - good fun short climb to get you started - Then try Bishops terrace! Loved it!

jungle_george

Aug 25, 2008, 6:09 PM
Post #8 of 21 (11078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One cool climb that hasn't been mentioned is Jamcrack. Nice 2 pitch affair - 1st pitch is a sweet 5.7 handcrack, 2nd pitch is an easy 5.9.

leapinlizard

Aug 25, 2008, 7:06 PM
Post #9 of 21 (11020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jungle_george] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Something that makes for a nice morning solo (if and when you get comfortable on yos granite) is the sunnyside bench direct route. First two pitches are 4th class, third is 5.4, but really it's only one move. It gets you to the top of the bench where it is a short walk to the middle Yosemite fall pools, then you can walk off the other direction.

dingus

Aug 25, 2008, 8:01 PM
Post #10 of 21 (10983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For Yose 1stimers Snake Dike only makes sense if you're bound and determined to get to the summit of 1.2 Dome and you want to do it via a 5th class climb.

If the focus is on rock climbing (as opposed to hiking, for example) stick to the valley bottom venues (and enjoy!)

DMT

Merkin

Aug 25, 2008, 8:25 PM
Post #11 of 21 (10955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try an El Cap base route like Pine Line (5.7) or Moby Dick (5.10a). Real ambiance and easy to get caught in the nostalgia.

markc

Aug 25, 2008, 8:47 PM
Post #12 of 21 (10946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
My list of reccomended climbs would be something like this:
Royal Arches
The Grack
After Six

Add Aunt Fanny's Pantry the day I stumbled in, and you have my list of climbs in reverse order from my June visit. I definitely have some of the other routes from this thread on my list for next time.

sgreer

Aug 25, 2008, 9:50 PM
Post #13 of 21 (10911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Munginella is just that... "munge".

Royal Arches is a great route with many variations and some sweet ledges to chill out on. The rapel route is long...at least 10 of them. Don't link them either, ropes get stuck frequently.

If you are looking for something burly...try Braille Book. I climbed this last week with my cousin and it was very physical. I've heard it called Bail Book frequently. A lot of teams bail on the first pitch.

Snake Hike.. I mean Snake Dike is cool but not worth the 1000' of 3 class slabs that meets you after the 8th pitch and the long hike back down to the valley. Set up a base camp in Little Yosemite and stay the night. I did this route a few weeks ago and when I got to the top it looked like Pacific Beach on Spring Break. Holy crap there are so many people up there these days.

I'm in the Valley at least 2 weekends a month and climb all over the area. If you want to escape the crowds and climb some area classics outside the park send me a message.

The list climbingaggie03 put up is definitely "THE LIST". Climb those and you'll have a great time.

deltav

Aug 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #14 of 21 (10875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Merkin] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Merkin wrote:
Try an El Cap base route like Pine Line (5.7) or Moby Dick (5.10a). Real ambiance and easy to get caught in the nostalgia.

Pine Line is a sweet route. Great views both up and down. I highly recommend this route.

dingus

Aug 25, 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #15 of 21 (10865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deltav] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deltav wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Pine Line is a sweet route. Great views both up and down. I highly recommend this route.

Moby Dick would be a brutal sandbag to a 5.8/5.9 leader who professed to be weak at cracks.

Character building... but sandbagish.

If you're tempted anyway? Do Bishop's Terrace (5.8 and classic Yosemite beginner's jam testpiece) first. If you float that Moby Dick might not seem so bad. If you struggle on Bishop's Terrace, forget about Moby Dick for this trip.

Oh and Robbins DOWNCLIMBED Moby Dick in tennis shoes after free soloing Ahab using same footgear, back in the early 70s!

Where mortals dare tread....

DMT

summerprophet

Aug 26, 2008, 3:28 PM
Post #16 of 21 (10803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgreer] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sgreer wrote:
Munginella is just that... "munge".

dude,
Munginerra, hasen't been munge in atleast a decade, head back out there and you may be quite shocked at what a constant stream of climbers can do to clean up a route.

Sellangenella on the other hand.......

Oh and Brail Book sucks for the novice. I actually gave the same advice you did a few years ago and was adminished for it, so I went up and climbed it again to refresh my memory of the route. Super long hike, and the climbing really isn't any fun until about 5 pitches up.

Good place to work on skills, but not the destination point for limited time in the valley.

dingus

Aug 26, 2008, 3:58 PM
Post #17 of 21 (10790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Braille Book is an EXCELLENT climb start to finish, but it ain't no beginner's route.

DMT

sgreer

Aug 26, 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #18 of 21 (10771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed Dingus,

Start to finish is excellent. I love it when you finially get out of the corner and top out on the 4th on that sweet ledge. You get a killer view of middle cathedral looming across the void. God what a feeling. Then you have to step out and down into the void to get to the hand crack... bone chilling!

Twobits,

Not a beginner route, but if you can find somebody to follow, do it. It's the only way to get used to the old school grade Yosemite climbs.

Dingus,

How about Cental Pillar of Fresnzy? Have you done that one?

(This post was edited by sgreer on Aug 26, 2008, 4:28 PM)

dingus

Aug 26, 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #19 of 21 (10763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgreer] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sgreer wrote:
How about Cental Pillar of Fresnzy? Have you done that one?

Aye, 10, maybe 12 times. Its a goodun! Always rapped after 5, ever top out? I never had the stones to continue...

DMT

Partner cracklover

Aug 26, 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #20 of 21 (10719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Twobits wrote:
We are Gunks climbers who will be visiting Yosemite for the first time for 10 days in late Sept to early Oct.. We lead 5.9 at the Gunks but are not good crack climbers. 5.8 cracks in NH and UT is about our limit. Any recommendation on climbs in the valley or the meadows will be appreciated. Thanks.

One not mentioned earlier is East Buttress of Middle Cathedral. Superb climbing. Don't let the 10c grade fool you, it's actually Gunks 5.8 climbing with a short A0 bolt ladder. Superb climbing with a wonderful view of The Nose throughout.

Don't do it right off the bat, though. Do some other stuff in the Valley to get your speed and your systems dialed. For a Gunks climber - it's hella-long.

Edited to add: and everything on climbingaggie's list is good.

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Aug 26, 2008, 5:51 PM)

sgreer

Aug 27, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #21 of 21 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Recommended climbs for Yosemite first timers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, but I'm eyeing it. It's hard to miss. Just seeking beta. To top out i would probably aid some and free some after 5 pitches. I'm thinking some bivy gear may be smart. Those pesky thunderstorms can build without notice and it's a long way to the top.

(This post was edited by sgreer on Aug 27, 2008, 7:58 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook