Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Must to trad climbs at HCR?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bigfatrock

Aug 28, 2008, 3:56 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3559 views)
Shortcut

Must to trad climbs at HCR?  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Buffalo_National_River: Horseshoe_Canyon_Ranch)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I am going to be at HCR this weekend but have never really done any of the trad stuff out there. What are some of the must do trad climbs? My trad grad is up to 5.7 at this point. Maybe an easy 5.8. Suggestions would be appreciated. I'm up for face or crack climbs.

(This post was edited by bigfatrock on Aug 28, 2008, 3:56 PM)

acorneau

Aug 28, 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Must to trad climbs at HCR? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigfatrock wrote:
So, I am going to be at HCR this weekend but have never really done any of the trad stuff out there. What are some of the must do trad climbs? My trad grad is up to 5.7 at this point. Maybe an easy 5.8. Suggestions would be appreciated. I'm up for face or crack climbs.

I don't have access to my guidebook so I can't help you on any specific trad routes, but I have to ask:

HCR is super-bolted; why would you want to go there for trad? Sam's Throne is not too far away and has lots of easier trad lines (under 5.9) available for the taking.

Either way, have fun up there!

bigfatrock

Aug 28, 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Must to trad climbs at HCR? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my Sam's Throne trip fell through so I'm climbing here with another group. I have a book but didn't know which are the "good" lines

suilenroc

Dec 28, 2008, 3:11 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Must to trad climbs at HCR? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lets say I was wanting a destination that had great sport and great cracks... is HCR worth a 3 or 4 day visit?

ADD: I will be possibly visiting from Kansas and i am trying to decide whether i should take my n00b buddies to Colorado or somewhere else. Thanks.

(This post was edited by suilenroc on Dec 28, 2008, 3:13 AM)

ersatz_radio

Dec 28, 2008, 3:23 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] Must to trad climbs at HCR? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can spend 3 or 4 days in hcr easy. There's around 300 climbs and a decent number are moderates or easy. You won't run out of stuff to do. I'm from Kansas and that's where I do most of my climbing.

suilenroc

Dec 28, 2008, 3:36 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ersatz_radio] Must to trad climbs at HCR? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ersatz_radio wrote:
You can spend 3 or 4 days in hcr easy. There's around 300 climbs and a decent number are moderates or easy. You won't run out of stuff to do. I'm from Kansas and that's where I do most of my climbing.

Thanks for the info.. I am actually interested in the traditional climbs HCR has to offer. From what i have read and heard, the sport is worth the trip alone. But i really am looking for some moderate, quality, and quanity of cracks. Do you have any experience jamming down there?

ADD: What specific type of sandstone is it?

(This post was edited by suilenroc on Dec 28, 2008, 3:37 AM)

ersatz_radio

Dec 28, 2008, 3:41 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a lot--I've done a few trad lines down there but they've mainly been retrobolted, so they're face climbs. There are a decent number of crack climbs around, but sam's throne is the place to go for that as has been said previously. They're only an hour apart so it would be easy to hit both. I've done this a few times.

bigfatrock

Dec 28, 2008, 6:45 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
ersatz_radio wrote:

Thanks for the info.. I am actually interested in the traditional climbs HCR has to offer. From what i have read and heard, the sport is worth the trip alone. But i really am looking for some moderate, quality, and quanity of cracks. Do you have any experience jamming down there?

ADD: What specific type of sandstone is it?

When I went back in August I ended up doing mostly trad since I had climbed most of the moderates on sport. There are several trad climbs in the North 40 area, but none that really require jamming. I have pretty much done every trad climb in this area, and all are 5.7 or under. The confederate cracks are where you want to go if you want jam cracks. I recommend Tree Beard (5.8) a mostly fist sized crack and a fairly sustained route. Hardest trad route I have done yet, but in the end loved it :)

But it IS really a place for sport climbing, and a REALLY good place for sport climbing.

The Sandstone is atoka I believe. It takes gear really well and is super solid.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook