overlord

Aug 26, 2008, 2:11 PM
Post #1 of 5 (17787 views)
Shortcut

Pavle Kozjek died in a mountaneering accident under the summit of Mustang Tower
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard the news about 5 min ago.

Pavle Kozjek, one of the greatest slovenian alpinists died in a mountaineering accident under the summit of Mustang Tower. He and hes partner Dejan Miskovic started the ascent on monday, and after reaching the summit ridge they have untied and shorty afterwards a snow ledge (i dont know the correct term in english, please provide) broke under hes feet and he fell to hes death.

Miscovic is was stuck on 6400m above sea level without most of their gear, but he does have a sattelite phone so he called the third expedition member, Gregor Kresal, who had to go back home due to illness on monday. After waiting for some time, he has started to descend the easier side of the tower and is now supposedly on an altitude of 5000m above sea level. A team of slovenian alpinists led by Tomaz Humar has already departed towards Pakistan and they are already in touch with a rescue service and a rescue attempt is already underway.

The line they were attempting to climb (I do not yet know the name of the route, or if it was a first ascent attempt).

Pavle Kozjek hardly needs an itroduction, among he has an oxygen-free ascent of Mount Everes under hes belt, plus a solo on Cho Oju, just to name two.

I will update this post when I get more news. Supposedly Miskovic is already rescued, but that is not yet confirmed.

ace_of_spades

Aug 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #2 of 5 (17323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Pavle Kozjek died in a mountaneering accident under the summit of Mustang Tower [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

here is the latest development.
Dejan Miškovič has been successfully saved by a pakistan army helicopter with Tomaž Humar on board. As soon as he recovers, he will describe what was happening on the mountain. At this point Pavle is considered missing not dead, though there is very little hope.
Here in slovenia he is very respected and an idol to younger generations of climbers.

sungam

Aug 30, 2008, 3:01 PM
Post #3 of 5 (17290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ace_of_spades] Pavle Kozjek died in a mountaneering accident under the summit of Mustang Tower [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damn. bad news.
The word you may be looking for is cornice.

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Aug 30, 2008, 4:29 PM
Post #4 of 5 (17277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Pavle Kozjek died in a mountaneering accident under the summit of Mustang Tower [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unsure Thanks for the post, and what details you have.

My condolences to the family and friends.

Sad stuff. [/:/]

elavely

Aug 30, 2008, 5:10 PM
Post #5 of 5 (17263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fuck. peace to pavie.

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook