RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

HeatherJagger1

Sep 2, 2008, 4:57 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5210 views)
Shortcut

my arm is falling off
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so i have a question for someone out there who can sympathize. whenever I do moves where I have to lock off on my left arm and go for a far right, after, my arm throbs. It started at my inner elbow and now, over time, moves from my finger tips to my neck and it kills! I think it might be tendinosis (not tendinitis which is sharp pains on the outer elbow).

It doesn't hurt WHILE I climb, just right after, and it's BAD.

It feels like a migraine in my arm. I take weeks off and it always comes back. I was up all night with pain last night, any suggestions??? please??

piton

Sep 2, 2008, 5:00 PM
Post #2 of 7 (5203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HeatherJagger1] my arm is falling off [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

did you take picture of it?

shockabuku

Sep 2, 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #3 of 7 (5199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like tendon(something)is. Don't do the moves (lock offs apparently) that aggravate it. Take a couple of weeks off from the last time it was acute and then return to climbing but at reduced intensity. It'll probably still bug you some but unless it becomes really acute you can probably get through it. Mine seems to be pretty much under control unless I really wrench on it then I just take it easy for a while. It probably took a good 3 months of climbing only routes before I could return to any bouldering and then it started bothering me a little again but eventually I worked it out but never had to quit climbing.

This may or may not all be bunk but it seemed to work for me.

Edited to add: you should probably see a doctor. Most likely they won't know their ass from a hole in the ground in this case and will tell you to stop climbing (indefinitely), or give you drugs that won't cure anything that's bothering you.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Sep 2, 2008, 5:07 PM)

HeatherJagger1

Sep 2, 2008, 5:09 PM
Post #4 of 7 (5193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] my arm is falling off [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha yah i just realized i posted this under the photography section haha.
sorry about that.

i've tried weeks off and it goes away but comes back worse the second i do that move. it's frustrating more than anything, although the pain is getting worse and worse every time. i think i'll ditch bouldering for a bit.

photoleif

Sep 8, 2008, 5:11 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bummer! that sucks. if you were here (boulder, co) i'd suggest you go see lori saige, who is an accomplished, trustworthy PT who sees all sorts of people with every sports injury known. she's really good. you've gotta have a decent PT out your way who could give you some reasonable suggestions beyond the over-simplistic "stop" that a GP would say.

tarsier

Sep 8, 2008, 9:18 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rest, heat and ice, ibuprofin, self-massage, strengthening exercises and stretching

Maddhatter

Sep 9, 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #7 of 7 (4818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HeatherJagger1 wrote:
so i have a question for someone out there who can sympathize. whenever I do moves where I have to lock off on my left arm and go for a far right, after, my arm throbs. It started at my inner elbow and now, over time, moves from my finger tips to my neck and it kills! I think it might be tendinosis (not tendinitis which is sharp pains on the outer elbow).

It doesn't hurt WHILE I climb, just right after, and it's BAD.

It feels like a migraine in my arm. I take weeks off and it always comes back. I was up all night with pain last night, any suggestions??? please??

If you took a hard hit it could be a slipped disk. most likly the disk of the 5 or 6th vert.
It could also be a pintched nerve if only half your hand goes to sleep. I have the same thing but I have never had it fixed. Get a MRI if you can and as soon as you can.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook