Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

USnavy

Sep 7, 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #1 of 14 (1894 views)
Shortcut

How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I frequently work on my vehicle and consequently I get ATF, gear oil, and grease on my hands to the point where my hands turn solid black. After I wash my hands (with soap designed to remove oil from hands) I cannot feel any oil on my hands and there is no visual traces of it anywhere other than under my fingernails and some very light traces of it in some of the cracks in my hands. I am wondering how long I need to wait to handle my climbing equipment. Could I climb say 60 min afterwards? The oil stays under my fingernails for approximately three days. So far I have been told that that if I wash my hands well and remove all the oil that I can to the point where my fingernails are the only part of my body with oil remaining (visually), I would be good to handle my equipment immediately afterwards.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Sep 7, 2008, 10:53 AM)

chossmonkey

Sep 7, 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It shouldn't hurt it. The only thing oil does is gets your gear dirty and the oil can attract and hold dirt and grime that could speed the wear.

As long as you hands aren't transferring the oil to other stuff it shouldn't transfer to gear.

rightarmbad

Sep 7, 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or wear gloves at work, you are entitled to do so......

budman

Sep 7, 2008, 1:00 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

40 years of turning wrenches and hands that look like S###, the solvent you use to degrease will help get the residue off and then wash again. You just don't want to absorb any of the nasty through the skin. Try and use some skin conditioner to keep the cracks in you skin to a minimum. If their snagging your ladies nylon then use more. As to your gear, it's not going to effect it except for possibly looking soiled. To get the crud from under your finger nails, a 2 week surf trip with double overhead should do the trick. Seeing where you live maybe I should do surf vacation and ck it out.

timd

Sep 8, 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #5 of 14 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I fyour nails are long enough to collect grease-cut your nails, I tore one off one day on a climb.

sungam

Sep 8, 2008, 3:10 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get that orange grease-gutting soap. I swear my hands are like 20x grippier after using that stuff.

Partner j_ung

Sep 8, 2008, 3:54 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I frequently work on my vehicle and consequently I get ATF, gear oil, and grease on my hands to the point where my hands turn solid black. After I wash my hands (with soap designed to remove oil from hands) I cannot feel any oil on my hands and there is no visual traces of it anywhere other than under my fingernails and some very light traces of it in some of the cracks in my hands. I am wondering how long I need to wait to handle my climbing equipment. Could I climb say 60 min afterwards? The oil stays under my fingernails for approximately three days. So far I have been told that that if I wash my hands well and remove all the oil that I can to the point where my fingernails are the only part of my body with oil remaining (visually), I would be good to handle my equipment immediately afterwards.

You might need to be more worried about the soap. Either way, though, wash up and feel free to fondle your gear as soon your hands are dry.

AeroXan

Sep 8, 2008, 7:07 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i'd be more worried about solvents. those gritty degreasers do a pretty good job of getting most of the oil off. but solvants and such can have bad reactions to plastics. ur probably good after thorough washing.

sungam

Sep 8, 2008, 7:11 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AeroXan] How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, after rinsing with hot water all those solvents will prolly be gone or evaporate (if alcohol based). dryin' with a towel and I don't see anything left.

majid_sabet

Sep 8, 2008, 7:14 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a first class troll .

rockforlife

Sep 8, 2008, 7:39 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rightarmbad] How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rightarmbad wrote:
Or wear gloves at work, you are entitled to do so......

you ever work on cars alot, wearing gloves SUCKS

gunkiemike

Sep 10, 2008, 9:34 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Prolonged/repeated contact with used motor oil has caused cancer in lab animal tests. So maybe you want to reconsider the gloves. Nitrile rubber are the way to go.

kennoyce

Sep 10, 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that everything in this world causes cancer including nitrile rubber even if they haven't yet tested it on lab rats.

budman

Sep 10, 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] How long to wait to climb after you get oil on your hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Prolonged/repeated contact with used motor oil has caused cancer in lab animal tests. So maybe you want to reconsider the gloves. Nitrile rubber are the way to go.
I believe worrying about it gives you brain cancer. Some of us get dirty and some don't and there are varying degrees. You deal with it the best you can but if you don't do it for a living it's all academic. As to the thread, wash your hands and go forth and climb and worry not.

(This post was edited by budman on Sep 10, 2008, 10:52 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook