RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

jarnii

Sep 13, 2008, 7:25 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1692 views)
Shortcut

not even started.........yet!!!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi. thinkin of starting rock climbing after working in llanberis for two weeks and have to go back there for more. i already do tree climbing and rope access and am ok with both or though its a work in progress as with all climbing. i wanted any advice on do's and donts when getting started. any help would be great. many thanks

quiteatingmysteak

Sep 13, 2008, 7:34 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jarnii] not even started.........yet!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jarnii wrote:
hi. thinkin of starting rock climbing after working in llanberis for two weeks and have to go back there for more. i already do tree climbing and rope access and am ok with both or though its a work in progress as with all climbing. i wanted any advice on do's and donts when getting started. any help would be great. many thanks

Cash spent on a guide is well spent. Many places have weekend training seminars as well as 1 on 1. It used to be that climbing was an apprentice-master relationship... things have changed, and its important to learn from someone experienced. It IS possible to glean a lot of knowledge from the internet and books, but learning from a (qualified) partner is by far the best (and most fun!) way to go about it.

Cheers!

granite_grrl

Sep 13, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Biggest sugestion to get started in climbing....just go do it. That's right, walk into a climbing gym, rent a pair of shoes and do some bouldering. If you need to get on a rope hire a guide or take a class.

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Sep 13, 2008, 7:37 PM)

sungam

Sep 13, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DO get involved in the welsh climbing scene- there's a lot of cool people over there
DO drink coffee in that one café. You'll know the one I mean.
DO go climbing at the pass
DON'T limit your climbing to the pass
DON'T winter climb stuff that isn't in condition
DO winter climb stuff that is (if ever :P ) in condition
DON'T go to the idwal slabs on the weekend
DO go to the idwal slabs mid-week.
DO the classic scrambles on tryfin and behind it.
DON'T pretend london crag is any good.
DON'T get cought up in only bouldering

All I can think of right now.

and the obvious one:
DO find a mentor, buy the beer, carry the rope and gear, and listen carefully to what he sez. Make sure he knows what he's about, though.

milesenoell

Sep 13, 2008, 7:39 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] not even started.........yet!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a lot of fun being self taught, but you'll be a lot safer and learn a lot faster if you get quality instruction from the start. I'm too poor to do so, but learning from a guide is ideal if you can't find a mentor.

sungam

Sep 13, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] not even started.........yet!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

quiteatingmysteak wrote:
jarnii wrote:

Cash spent on a guide is well spent. Many places have weekend training seminars as well as 1 on 1. It used to be that climbing was an apprentice-master relationship... things have changed, and its important to learn from someone experienced. It IS possible to glean a lot of knowledge from the internet and books, but learning from a (qualified) partner is by far the best (and most fun!) way to go about it.

Cheers!
The mentor thing is definitly still big in the UK. He could totaly find someone who he could be a bitch for around llanbaris.
If he REALLY wanted to, he could go sit at the bottom of the idwal slabs at the weekend with an 10bag and a 24 pack with a sign saying "Will share for mentoring".

Maddhatter

Sep 13, 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jarnii wrote:

Do you mean tree climbing as a job? If so.
Different Ropes - Climbing ropes are dynamic.

Different harnesses - Climbing ones are only a belt and leg loops.

Like many have said,Just do it, But with people that have the right gear, Like go to the wall and jump on a few top ropes most climbers are pretty cool about it if you ask nicely.

jarnii

Sep 14, 2008, 9:04 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] not even started.........yet!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i new there was a difference and dont have issues bying gear. the only issue i have is im not near a wall or rock so it makes it a bit more tricky.

is it worth making a small wall in my garage at home to get the strength and technique started.

if this is worth it how do i no where to put the holds in the right place

thanks for all the advice so far guys it a great help much appreciated.

sungam

Sep 14, 2008, 9:10 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, it's not worth making a wall- that will only delay you more.
Home wall for beginner= tendinitis. It's surprisingly easy to get and surprisingly hard to get rid of.
Llanberis has loads of climbing spots, why not scope about? you got a car?

Maddhatter

Sep 14, 2008, 2:28 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jarnii wrote:
i new there was a difference and dont have issues bying gear. the only issue i have is im not near a wall or rock so it makes it a bit more tricky.

is it worth making a small wall in my garage at home to get the strength and technique started.

if this is worth it how do i no where to put the holds in the right place

thanks for all the advice so far guys it a great help much appreciated.

Push up and sit ups will help you more then a small wall most times. You need to start with others that know more then you so you don't get hurt right at the start. I know it sucks not having a gym or wall close by. If you start off doing things the right ways you will get hurt a lot less and have a lot more fun over the long run.

jarnii

Sep 14, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] not even started.........yet!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yer got a motor but i dont see that i could just turn up and try and climb with anyone i see it as a bit imposing. i could be wrong but it seems a bit out. could start with some lesssons and see whrere that goes.

the training thing seeems more tricky than i thought i was gonna get a finger board but some of the stuff i saw written on other threads seemed to say its no good.

i thought pilates would be good for core strength and leg stuff but what about pull ups weights and push ups. im a little stocky coz of the climbing i already do but dont wanna bulk up but need new strength

cheers guys

sungam

Sep 14, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Screw being "imposing:.
When I started I just went to a common climber hangout bouldering spot where all the city folks go for a wee after work climb. Got talkin' to some dude and he taught me trad and ice.
Seriously, you will never meet people if you don't go out there and just start talkin'!
The sign thing will be so funny that the people that actually take you will be the type you want (banterlicious!), and the people who walk past and sneer will be the folks you want to avoid (tight-asses).
Right?
Also, have a harness and shoes with you.
And buy the local bouldering book, plenty of the boulderers will also be trad climbers.
They will be the ones getting spanked and mooting about how it's not real climbing, and how you'll never do THAT on a route.

alleyehave

Sep 14, 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills or any of the 100 generic (but current) rock climbing basics books. Buy a small piece of rope to practice knots, etc. THEN hire a guide/instructor. You will get a lot more out of your money and time if you understand and take the time to learn a lot of the trivial stuff on your own.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook