Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner macherry

Sep 15, 2008, 2:54 PM
Post #26 of 53 (19464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zenelky] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

for down, i have a cloudveil inversion down parka, its discontinued, but i recommend cloudveil for the fit . they still have the inversion, but without the hood.

i also have a mountbell 800 fill for throwing in the pack for touring. waaay cheaper than the pantagonia downsweater. i'll have to look up the site where i bought it , but it was only abour 114 bucks.

prolitegear.com

still on sale alpine light down jacket 117.00.

lots of others on sale including the cloudveil inversion down

(This post was edited by macherry on Sep 15, 2008, 2:57 PM)

aerili

Sep 17, 2008, 9:54 PM
Post #27 of 53 (19437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
lwilson wrote:
I LOVE the Petzl Luna harness. Great for sport, long trad routes and hanging belays, and also ice. So very impressed with this harness.

http://en.petzl.com/...Produits?Produit=631

great idea 'biner!

How many gear loops on that Lauren? I'm in the market for a new harness myself.

I would go Misty Mountain all the way. No more Petzl harnesses for me; Misty has WAY better gear loops and padding IMO.

I own the Finesse (you can see my review in the Gear section under women's harnesses), and there is also one other women's harness they make as well.

marebear

Sep 30, 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #28 of 53 (19363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lwilson] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for the Petzl Luna harness. I used to climb in the Black Diamond Diva for sport climbing and the leg loops were so sparsely padded that I got bruises from big falls and hanging. The gear loops on the Luna are sufficient for a whole grip of quick draws, anchor stuff, yadda yadda. I can't really vouch for it's abilities as a big wall, ice, or trad harness.

For shoes, I love the fit of La Sportiva's Lady Katana, but burned through the rubber too fast on the pair I had to justify another. I now have a pair of Evolve Elektras and love the fit (in spite of the stink), but will always prefer 5.10's rubber, so I would recommend Anasazis if they fit you. They don't fit me. I have a pair of 5.10 Prima Slippers for the gym. They are not stiff at all and suck for edging, but were cheap for tearing up in the gym and the lack of stiffness makes your feet STRONG.

And for whoever was asking about jackets, I can't vouch for the Patagonia R2, but I LOVE LOVE my R4. Windproof, breathable, stretchy, and short enough in the torso to not muck up your harness situation. Another jacket that I am thrilled with is the Mountain Hardwear Compressor PL jacket. It's lightweight, compressible insulation and really warm for the weight.

Anyone have any good pack recommendations? I'm looking for one that can go from a day of cragging, but can also handle a couple day backpacking trip. Not a huge pack... somewhere around 3000 cubic inches. Right now, I schlep around a day pack and a rope bag. Not comfy.

hstewart

Oct 7, 2008, 1:56 AM
Post #29 of 53 (19149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marebear] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone have any good pack recommendations? I'm looking for one that can go from a day of cragging, but can also handle a couple day backpacking trip. Not a huge pack... somewhere around 3000 cubic inches. Right now, I schlep around a day pack and a rope bag. Not comfy.

The Gregory Jade is a pretty nice pack that fits what you're looking for -- and they make a 50 and 60L. Fits and moves really well and has tons of space and exterior pockets (including nalgene-sized pockets on the side). I only have two complaints on this pack: 1) you have to coil your rope very tight to get it to drop right to the bottom of the pack since it's a tad smaller on the bottom 2) the nalgenes slide out of the side pockets unless you clip them in with a little biner...but the pockets do have little loops to snap them in. All of that said, it's the best woman's pack I've owned and the benefits outweigh these two little quirks.

http://www.gregorypacks.com/...=overview&cid=90

wonderwoman

Oct 14, 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #30 of 53 (19045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hstewart] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone have recommendations for soft shell pants? I am looking to extend my climbing season as long as possible so I'm trying to get the best gear to stay the warmest.

Specifically, anyone know anything about the North Face Dynamic Soft Shell Pants? These look like a good deal:

http://www.mountaingear.com/...MG/item/207096/N/925

acacongua

Oct 21, 2008, 8:07 PM
Post #31 of 53 (18979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:

I would go Misty Mountain all the way. No more Petzl harnesses for me; Misty has WAY better gear loops and padding IMO.

I agree, except they are bulkier for those climbing enduro steep. My next harness will be the Arc'teryx Nasa (that's my name for the new one) - lighter than a quickdraw!

Partner macherry

Nov 4, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #32 of 53 (18851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chicks gear!!!! so i'm going to buy a new probe for backcountry skiing and i see women's specific probes and shovels from G3. i never really thought of a shovel or a probe being women's specific. the women's probe is the same price as the men's, but it supposedly packs up better and fits a women's pack. i'm going to order it and i'll let you know what the difference is.

so here's a question, do you buy women's specific gear or it doesn't really matter.

i usually buy whatever fits, i do have women's specific skis and climbing shoes, but a men's harness. i have a women's specific ski touring pack, but a regular (men's) pack for climbing trips

Partner lwilson

Nov 6, 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #33 of 53 (18833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

women's specific gear matters in certain instances....like harnesses, and coats. But I find climbing shoes, and packs are a better fit for me when its a unisex or mens. which is weird cause I am short (5'2), and have a small shoe size (women's 6.5). maybe its cause I have a long torso and wide feet?

I tend to at least check out a women's specific size if available and compare it with the regular, cause sometimes you never know.

Partner lwilson

Nov 6, 2008, 6:48 PM
Post #34 of 53 (18831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just ordered a pair of these! I'll let you know how they turn out. :) I've found that TNF pants fit really well. that, and Prana. last season I had picked up some fleece-lined Prana pants that are solf shell like, and they worked wonders this past weekend (it was cold!).

so 100 bucks for those pants sounds like deal. the cool thing about pants like these is you can wear them around town as well.

tavs

Nov 6, 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #35 of 53 (18823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lwilson] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whether I do women's specific: it depends. My harness and shoes are unisex or men's; my backpacking pack is a women's (Gregory) because it fits so much better for such a heavy load, but my various other packs are all unisex. Given that, I wouldn't see how a women's specific probe would be useful for me (since my packs are mostly the same as a men's). I'd guess the shovel has a smaller handle, maybe?

Can anyone recommend a good but reasonably priced ski jacket? I've already got standard softshell and hard shell jackets for many uses, but I'd like a less-expensive ski jacket mostly for resort use so I don't wear out my softshell as much! Something with a powder skirt, hood preferable, not too thick or insulated (I prefer to layer for warmth).

carabiner96

Nov 6, 2008, 9:19 PM
Post #36 of 53 (18819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tavs] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Straight from the G3 rep's mouth: the only difference on the women's shovel and probe are color.

As for ski jacket, EMS has a bunch of reasonably priced ones that will all be 20% off this weekend, pm me if you're looking at one, I can tell you more than you want to know about it!Crazy

Partner macherry

Nov 6, 2008, 9:53 PM
Post #37 of 53 (18816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Straight from the G3 rep's mouth: the only difference on the women's shovel and probe are color.

As for ski jacket, EMS has a bunch of reasonably priced ones that will all be 20% off this weekend, pm me if you're looking at one, I can tell you more than you want to know about it!Crazy

no shit!! the description on their website sez it's more compact for a women's pack.............fer fuck sakes!!! the colour is nice though.........

carabiner96

Nov 7, 2008, 3:32 AM
Post #38 of 53 (18796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

no shit!! the description on their website sez it's more compact for a women's pack.............fer fuck sakes!!! the colour is nice though.........

Oh, now that you mentioned it, the sections might be a squidge shorter, but i think that's all. He really thinks the whole thing is a gimmick.

Partner macherry

Nov 7, 2008, 3:45 AM
Post #39 of 53 (18795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
macherry wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Oh, now that you mentioned it, the sections might be a squidge shorter, but i think that's all. He really thinks the whole thing is a gimmick.

oh, i'm sure it is...the thing of it is, though, if a woman is looking for a probe or shovel, she just might choose g3 over black diamond because of the women's specific thing. I'm replacing a probe and my old one was g3 and i like it so i am considering the women's model.

acacongua

Nov 10, 2008, 2:09 PM
Post #40 of 53 (18755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:

2. Which is warmer - Patagonia R2 or North Face Denali?

Did my own researching and the Denali wins hands down. It was 44 and cloudy this weekend (and I was at a shaded cliff). I wore my Icebreaker wool and my Denali and didn't even need my puffy. Yeah ... it's gonna be a good Winter. What's crazy though is that i'm a size 4-6 and I had to get XSmall.

rockie

Nov 21, 2008, 6:12 AM
Post #41 of 53 (18669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an ultimate black diamond fan, I love the gear, harness, nuts, cams etc, I tend to only buy black diamond, I trust it.

I have a mammut rope, 70m, it's light.

I have a Petzl helmet, light, it's great.

I wear 5.11 shoes, and have not been happier.

Well I'd recommend the above at least. Smile

rockie

Nov 21, 2008, 6:14 AM
Post #42 of 53 (18668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh and I also got some nice climbing pants from Mountain Hardware, only at first I felt they're too good to climb in, I could wear them for a night out.

I love the female clothing in that store, stylish.

carabiner96

Nov 21, 2008, 5:32 PM
Post #43 of 53 (18648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:

Smile

5.10's are for pussies, 5.11's for the pros!

tigerlilly

Dec 8, 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #44 of 53 (18540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from my first ice outing of the season, and I have to say I'm deliriously happy with two items I picked up in the last year. Well, deliriously happy is a bit strong. I think I am just a bit delirious, and happy. And tired. Whew! Anyway, the gear:

Ragged Mountain in NH makes and sells a stretch fleece jogbra. My core was nice and toasty, instead of chilly and clammy in my regular sport bra. Probably not for the well-endowed, because it's a simple, flat shape, but for my modest form, definitely thumbs up! http://raggedmountain.com/...power-sport-bra.html

Grivel Quantum Tech ice tools. Can you say "light"? One swing sticks most times, and I don't get "stupid hands" like I get from swinging heavier tools. The price is steep, but I got them on sale near the end of last season for about 30% off. Grivel NA closed up shop, but there are still a few places you can get 'em, including The Mountaineer in Keene, NY.

Kathy

(This post was edited by tigerlilly on Dec 8, 2008, 1:27 AM)

gym_wench

Jan 8, 2009, 9:33 PM
Post #45 of 53 (18360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great idea! My favorite women-specific shoes have been discontinued - sigh. Please bring back the 5.10 Prima lace-ups! They're pretty and pink and I love them!

I also really like the Red Chili Women's Spirit IZ. Super comfy, but the rubber wears down quick, and they're not very technical.

As for harnesses, Arc'teryx will have my money until they decide to stop making harnesses. It's like sitting in a cloud.

And, the most important piece of female specific climbing gear: the sports bra. I absolutely love a bra made by Patagonia that I think they discontinued. It was extremely low-cut on the sides so your lats have plenty of room to breath and you don't get the rollover other sports bras can give you. There's also a great crisscross bra that Prana used to make that was low cut across the lats and didn't give me una-boob. I'm a small girl, but I still don't like looking like I've smuggled a summer sausage up my shirt!

rockie

Jan 9, 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #46 of 53 (18343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
rockie wrote:

Smile

5.10's are for pro's, 5.11's for the pussies!

Oh really Tongue

Too funny. I see my mistake, so how did I come to post 5.11 when I meant 5.10?
Maybe a moderator adjusted my original post, ahem.
Always better to blame someone else.

smallclimber

Jan 21, 2009, 3:50 AM
Post #47 of 53 (18201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my LaSportiva Mythos shoes (the ladies version). I am on my third pair and considering buying a lifetime supply incase they discontinue them some time.....

acacongua

Jan 21, 2009, 8:42 PM
Post #48 of 53 (18188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marebear] Best of Women's Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marebear wrote:
Anyone have any good pack recommendations? around a day pack and a rope

I loooooove my Arc' Teryx pack, but I can't think of the model name. It zips all the way open and really feels great on my back with all that gear.

acacongua

Jan 21, 2009, 8:45 PM
Post #49 of 53 (18185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for soft shell pants?

I've never heard of these before, but it looks like something worth trying. My climbing partner carries Mntn Hardware down pants - I use them and they keep me warm while belaying/hanging out. I look like the Michelin man though with my down jacket.

melham

Mar 10, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #50 of 53 (17886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got the Arc'teryx R-280 harness (their women's harness), and it is fabulous! Fits like a dream, soooo comfortable, and incredibly thin and light weight. A bit higher priced than some of the other harnesses out there, but absolutely worth the money for me.

Of course, since I finally found a harness I love, they'll discontinue it within weeks Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook