RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

rtwilli4

Sep 17, 2008, 2:24 AM
Post #1 of 12 (4498 views)
Shortcut

A few questinos about Red River Gorge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

So, I am planning on driving out there in a few days and staying there for a month or so. Probably make a trip to the New also.

Anyways, I have never been there and all I really know is that I can camp at Miguel's for 2 bucks and it has more routes than I could climb in a life time, even if I could climb .13s.

I hear the food at Miguel's is good and cheap but other than that should I just bring my stove and a bunch of 'camp food?'

I know there are other options but is Miguel's the best place to meet people who want to climb?

WILL I be able to meet people to climb? I have a few contacts on RC and some other friends who may drive down, but nothing concrete. Am I going to be bouldering the whole time I'm there or will I meet some people like myself, who are partnerless.

Does anyone wanna come climb with me? I love trad but have no rack... I'll buy you beer if you'll climb trad. with me. I lead hard .10s sport and .11's when I'm in shape, .7's trad but that's without much experience.

shrug7

Sep 17, 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #2 of 12 (4452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] A few questinos about Red River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post

Eat at Miguels, it'll be eaiser/cheaper (I think) in the end.

Chances are you'll be able to find people to climb with, but will they want to climb what you want to climb... hard to say. I have had better luck finding RRG partners at http://redriverclimbing.com.

chossmonkey

Sep 17, 2008, 8:08 PM
Post #3 of 12 (4427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
So, I am planning on driving out there in a few days and staying there for a month or so. Probably make a trip to the New also.

Anyways, I have never been there and all I really know is that I can camp at Miguel's for 2 bucks and it has more routes than I could climb in a life time, even if I could climb .13s.

I hear the food at Miguel's is good and cheap but other than that should I just bring my stove and a bunch of 'camp food?'

I know there are other options but is Miguel's the best place to meet people who want to climb?

WILL I be able to meet people to climb? I have a few contacts on RC and some other friends who may drive down, but nothing concrete. Am I going to be bouldering the whole time I'm there or will I meet some people like myself, who are partnerless.

Does anyone wanna come climb with me? I love trad but have no rack... I'll buy you beer if you'll climb trad. with me. I lead hard .10s sport and .11's when I'm in shape, .7's trad but that's without much experience.
I don't know how hard it would be to fish for partners, but there are usually a lot of people there. Miguel has a computer in the restaurant as well as wireless so it should making getting on the net to try and round people up a bit easier.

There is a sheltered cooking area at Miguel's. I think there is beta on where to buy food in the guidebook.

One thing to keep in mind while you are there is that car break-ins are far to common at the parking areas for the climbing. Keep everything out of sight when you are away climbing. Even if it isn't worth anything to you something might be worth breaking in for someone else.

lena_chita

Sep 18, 2008, 3:09 PM
Post #4 of 12 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

A friend of mine is stayed at Miguel's for two weeks and will be there again for a week next week.

She has limited English, since she is visiting from out of the country, but even so, she had no problems whatsoever finding people to climb with during the week.

In general, the harder you climb, the easier it is to find partners. Most of the regulars and people who hang out there during the week are climbing harder than the weekend warriors. But I think you will be O.K.

I'd say definitely bring a stove and some campfood. Miguel's pizza is great, and they now have sandwiches and omelettes in the morning, too (disclaimer--I never tried them, but I hear from people who have tried them that they are just as good as the rest of the food there). But still, once in a while you might want to boil water for tea or coffee, or heat up some soup for a change.

Maddhatter

Sep 21, 2008, 9:24 PM
Post #5 of 12 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

You will love the red it is one of the best climbing spots in all of the USA. You will find people to climb with easy enough. Plan on hikeing and sight seeing on your off days there is a LOT to see at the Red.

The New river camping is a bit harder but it has great climbing also.

We should be down there at the red a few weekends if I see you we can trad some we will be camping out on SR 9.

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Sep 21, 2008, 9:26 PM)

Yogisan

Sep 22, 2008, 3:02 AM
Post #6 of 12 (4167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

First of all, you are going to have a great time!

Miguels is a great place to meet climbers, and camping there makes it easy to socialize.

I do a lot of trad climbing in the red and also backpacking, so I tend to backcountry camp. I buy an annual pass at the Shell station in Slade and can camp/park in the National Forest for "free" year round. Camp well off the trail... illegal camping and campfires have sadly made a mess of the Red in places... some worse than others.

Take the time to pick up and read Ray Ellington's guidebook to the Red (they sell it at the Shell station among many other places). It's awesome and a great investment. You can get beta on climbing at redriverclimbing.com but you can't take that with you into the backcountry like you can the guidebook!

Enjoy!

lena_chita

Sep 22, 2008, 2:50 PM
Post #7 of 12 (4153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Yogisan] A few questinos about Red River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post

Yogisan wrote:
I buy an annual pass at the Shell station in Slade and can camp/park in the National Forest for "free" year round. Camp well off the trail...

I don't know if you are aware of it-- there have been a lot of car break-ins lately, all on cars with permits displayed, and parked overnight, I believe.

Yogisan

Sep 22, 2008, 3:48 PM
Post #8 of 12 (4146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] A few questinos about Red River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post

This has been the story for as long as I have been going to the Red... Martin's Fork is supposed to be one of the worst places. That said, I have parked my car there and around the area for years and years and never had a break in. I known only one person that has. YMMV but personally I don't worry about it.

xtremst80

Sep 24, 2008, 1:12 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Yogisan] A few questinos about Red River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post

Does anyone know when Miguels shuts down for the winter?

Yogisan wrote:
First of all, you are going to have a great time!

Miguels is a great place to meet climbers, and camping there makes it easy to socialize.

I do a lot of trad climbing in the red and also backpacking, so I tend to backcountry camp. I buy an annual pass at the Shell station in Slade and can camp/park in the National Forest for "free" year round. Camp well off the trail... illegal camping and campfires have sadly made a mess of the Red in places... some worse than others.

Take the time to pick up and read Ray Ellington's guidebook to the Red (they sell it at the Shell station among many other places). It's awesome and a great investment. You can get beta on climbing at redriverclimbing.com but you can't take that with you into the backcountry like you can the guidebook!

Enjoy!

Partner neuroshock

Sep 24, 2008, 4:20 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtremst80] A few questinos about Red River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post

xtremst80 wrote:
Does anyone know when Miguels shuts down for the winter?

Depends on what you mean by "shuts down."

If you're talking about camping, it doesn't (slide the money under the door. the water is turned off)
If you're talking about the store/pizza, I think it usually closes up right after Thanksgiving weekend.

chossmonkey

Oct 5, 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shrug7] A few questinos about Red River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post

shrug7 wrote:
Eat at Miguels, it'll be eaiser/cheaper (I think) in the end.
Eating at Miguel's everyday would probably break the bank for someone on a road trip. At the very cheapest it would be $8 a day, if you eat very much it would be more.

shrug7

Oct 6, 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] A few questinos about Red River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post

I haven't spent more then 2-3 days there. So breakfast and dinner didn't break the bank.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook