RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Grimm921

Sep 18, 2008, 2:53 PM
Post #1 of 5 (924 views)
Shortcut

Black Diamond Cobras (newer model)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all, can someone give me some input on the new BD Cobras? I am in process of purchasing new tools but unfortunately live in Michigan and there aren't any retailers where I can check them out. I primarily climb waterfall ice but I am starting to get into mixed and will be getting much more involved. I've always climbed on Petzl Nomics and really like them but have heard good things about the cobras. I demod them for a day and thought they were pretty solid but I didn't try them on any mixed or difficult ice routes. Input would be great. Thanks!

kennoyce

Sep 18, 2008, 2:57 PM
Post #2 of 5 (916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Grimm921] Black Diamond Cobras (newer model) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alas I too have only demo'd them, but they felt amazing for the 2 hours I used them on like WI2. Sorry that I'm really no help to you at all.

granite_grrl

Sep 18, 2008, 3:58 PM
Post #3 of 5 (884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you think you are going to get into more mixed climbing I would get something with more of a leashless design.

The new Cobras look a lot like the Vipers (I understand there is slight geometry differences, but they're far more like the Vipers than the Fusions). I have old Vipers, but set up for the leashless configuration and I don't climb with leashes. Its a good tool for pure ice and its a lot of fun to climb ice leashless with these tools, but is way sketchier to use them for dry tooling. There is no comparison to my husband's Fusions which I'll use instead if we're drytooling.

What I really want is a pair of Nomics, exactally for the reasons I outlined above. Plus the Nomics are good on ice too.

Partner neuroshock

Sep 22, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #4 of 5 (741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm looking to replace my BD Rage tools (leashed) with something more modern and am considering the BD Cobras, BD Vipers, and Petzl Nomics.

I swung a friend's Nomics last Winter and didn't like them too much. However, I don't know if that's because I wasn't used to the swing (as I'm certain that it's pretty different from that of the Rage tools) or because I won't like it even "once I get used to it."

I've never had the opportunity to use the Cobras nor Vipers; not old nor new. I'm looking to use the new tools on WI3/4 (sharp end) to WI5 (TR) ice. Mostly leashless (unless I get my ass out to WY for something bigger). I'm not planning on much mixed climbing at first, if at all.

Recommendations?

-Mike

timd

Sep 23, 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #5 of 5 (675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroshock] Black Diamond Cobras (newer model) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought the nomics felt a little heavy, I purchased the BD reactors and love them.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook