Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What do you pack for medium length trips?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

deltav

Sep 28, 2008, 4:46 AM
Post #1 of 7 (555 views)
Shortcut

What do you pack for medium length trips?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In an effort to ever lighten my load of gear to fly with, what do you take on 1-2 week camping/climbing trips? What do you sacrifice and leave behind?

curt

Sep 28, 2008, 6:34 AM
Post #2 of 7 (537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deltav] What do you pack for medium length trips? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deltav wrote:
In an effort to ever lighten my load of gear to fly with, what do you take on 1-2 week camping/climbing trips? What do you sacrifice and leave behind?

Well, it depends on what sort of booze is available at the destination.

Curt

tradrenn

Sep 28, 2008, 6:41 AM
Post #3 of 7 (531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I take my rack, tent, sleeping pad and a bag and all that kind of staff.

Few things that I don't take would be propane for my stove cause that's not allowed on the plane, also 95% of my food I buy at destination.

thatguyat99

Sep 28, 2008, 8:48 PM
Post #4 of 7 (467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one thing that helps sometimes... if you are meeting another/others to climb with before you leave decide between yourselves who will bring what...some stuff you only need one of...like a stove. even split up your rack...one brings cams, the other brings biners and draws...one might bring the tent and the other the rope...
definitely wait and get food at destination.

lena_chita

Sep 29, 2008, 5:54 PM
Post #5 of 7 (416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it depends.

Make a list of things that you absolutely need, and additional list of things that would be nice, but not strictly necessary.

Then divvy up the essential stuff between you and the other people who are coming with you. Then, as space and weight permits add the "nice-to-have" stuff in order of priority until you run out of space. :)

As an example, when I was meeting up with someone to climb at Red Rocks and JTree, she brought the tent, and I brought the rope and draws.

We both brought pads and sleeping bags.

We decided to skip bringing the stove b/c of the problems with carrying the type of stove I have on the plane, and the additional complications of finsing a place to buy fuel at our destination. That also meant not bringing the cookware. We chose to go with cold breakfasts/lunches and eat a dinner out.

Clothing was packed with the understanding that the same "outfit" would be worn several days in a row.

And so on...

zealotnoob

Sep 29, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #6 of 7 (408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After a two month climbing trip to patagonia, I was pretty surprised as to lack of difference there is between packing for a long trip versus a short one. You just need more food...and booze.

granite_grrl

Sep 29, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #7 of 7 (398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The climbing gear isn't too bad, its the camping gear that will get you.

First I would bring the climbing gear that you absolutly need. This could be draws, a trad rack and a rope...or not, it depends on where you're going and who you plan on climbing with.

After those esentials start looking at how you'll be sleeping. A good sleeping pad and down bag won't take up that much room. A tent might be nice, or you might be able to settle with a tarp, or sleep under the stars.

Cooking stuff takes up a ton of room. I have flown with a stove and bougt a fuel bottle and gas on arriving and haven't had problems, but it can be a crap shoot. Pots, pans, utensils, etc also take up a lot of space.

In the end what you bring depends on what kind of trip you're making it, but there are a lot of ways to cut corners.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook