Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Tipton

Sep 29, 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #26 of 117 (6489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Stickclips are to climbing what the bridge stick is to pool. Sure, sometimes its necessary, but the majority of the time the person just isn't good enough to do without.

anthonymason

Sep 29, 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #27 of 117 (6487 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by anthonymason [In reply to]
Report this Post

jakedatc

Sep 29, 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #28 of 117 (6471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anthonymason] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey hey hey... i'm not FROM RI.. Mass-hole 4 lyfe :)

now that we got that cleared up..

Tipton i think you're close with the Bridge analogy except that the bridge has more to do with arm length and torso height than skill. Can you make things work around the table without using the bridge.. yea.. but i'd rather use the bridge than be all stretched out with crappy control over the cue. Pro's use the bridge all the time if the set up is better if they do.

what crag are we going to out west that probably has flat landings and easy moves off the deck. cuz out here we have sharp rocks and holes that go to no where under some routes.. or are perched on the side of a hill where even the belayer has to be clipped in.

Just cuz you're too weak to get on anything that requires one doesn't mean you should bitch about it to the people who can...

being older than me doesn't make you less weak :)

saxfiend

Sep 29, 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #29 of 117 (6467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cabdog] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cabdog wrote:
Curious to everyone's thoughts on which is a better stick clip, the superclip or Trango squid. I have used the squid and liked it, but found it to wear quickly. The superclip works great too, but does not have the option of unclipping or clipping a rope into a hung draw.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
The Superclip is far superior to the squid or any other stick clip, unless you're just masochistic. And contrary to your statement, it can in fact be used to unclip a draw from a bolt. As to clipping a rope into a hung draw, I don't suppose the Superclip is capable of that, though why you'd need such a function is a mystery to me.

Regarding the chest-thumpers who mistook your question for a poll on whether or not stick clips are manly, here's my advice: spend less time on rc.com and more on Mountain Project, where the discussions are intelligent most of the time.

JL

anthonymason

Sep 29, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #30 of 117 (6460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may be a ass hole, I am just saying that typically a stick clip is used for clippin' a bolt/hanger.
If the first ascent party who set the route used a stick clip then anyone who follows can use a stick clip.
however if the first free ascent went without a stick clip, leave the stick clip at home and move onto a easier route
Anthony

jakedatc

Sep 29, 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #31 of 117 (6461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As to clipping a rope into a hung draw, I don't suppose the Superclip is capable of that, though why you'd need such a function is a mystery to me.

You've never had to clip into a draw that was already hung on a route? it's FAR easier than trying to stick clip another draw into that bolt.

i've never used one so i dont know if you could thread a bight of rope through the wires or not to make a loop.

jakedatc

Sep 29, 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #32 of 117 (6456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anthonymason wrote:
I may be a ass hole, I am just saying that typically a stick clip is used for clippin' a bolt/hanger.
If the first ascent party who set the route used a stick clip then anyone who follows can use a stick clip.
however if the first free ascent went without a stick clip, leave the stick clip at home and move onto a easier route
Anthony

As opposed to..... what? i don't think anyone here is out trying to find a way to stick clip gear

So... i should skip a route because some guy/gal that probably top roped, rehearsed, cleaned, chalked and then sent a route over a sketch landing didn't stick clip the first bolt?

I have climbed with many of the FAists at Rumney that are doing .12+-13 BAREFOOT why should i base my own climbing against what they are doing?

maybe you should get off your high horse and try something you might fail at instead of playing it safe and skipping all the hard routes

anthonymason

Sep 29, 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #33 of 117 (6444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jake. You may may be a real hardass sport climbin' fool, FINE.
I would like to see Hardass climbers like you reach thier potential, stick clips bring us all down a grade.
It may be that a stick clip out there is the way to go?
However I feel that using such a device to get off the ground is in poor style, and such should be used in respect. Essentially if you think you should use a stick clip go for it, there is no way for me to stop it.
But does using one really make you a hardass ????
I am sure that you will figure out that the first ascent was made in pair of birkenstcocks, and shit, a stick clip is not that bad???,
Just a thought
Anthony

(This post was edited by anthonymason on Sep 30, 2008, 12:02 AM)

salamanizer

Sep 30, 2008, 1:02 AM
Post #34 of 117 (6415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
salamanizer wrote:
I still can't believe people would pay money for something like a stick clip.

Why not just top rope the thing?

...oh yeah, you are.

i'll give you a tour at rumney some time. better bring your A game

Hey, all I said is I can't believe someone would pay for such a thing. You can make one out of a stick for free.

And it "is" topropeing, is it not?

I'm no gumby to hard run out (R/X) climbing either and I'm well aware it's not for everyone. You do whatever you like. Maybe I can give you a tour of Tuolumne sometime. Better bring your 40ft stick clip.

cabdog wrote:
Wow. You are so cool and tough. Please teach me.

Not wanting to pay for a stick clip and preferring to lead routes rather than top rope them makes me cool and tough?

Sheesh, someone give this guy some self esteem.

bender

Sep 30, 2008, 1:03 AM
Post #35 of 117 (6415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anthonymason wrote:
Wow you are one fucking pussy liberal from rhode fuckin' island.
you wanna go, bring out west bitch, we will see who the fuckin' gumby is
thats right stick clips are for pussies
I wonder if you could use a attitude adjustment from a redneck hippie like me, shit I bet I was climbing while you were still shitting in you're diapers
Sincerely
Anthony

its funny
we take alot of heat for not creating warm up routes in new areas out west here but frankly doing so simply attracts the wrong element ^^^

to many knuckle heads out there marching all over the realm of the 70's with their sticky rubber and microcams thinking their respecting the art while repeating these things with modern equipment and rubber and knowledge

new route development has left rock behind a decade ago for the most part; your climbing choss now, so you dont know if the first bolt drilled in 60 seconds or 7

you watch a half in drill bit march through 4 inches of 'rock' like it was cheese and youd be stick clipping two or three of those too

not to mention the quality of the hold your cranking off to make those clip given the walls integrity

stick clips have a decided place in rational and thoughtful climb today for anyone who needs to be relatively sure they can go to work on monday

anyone opposed is projecting a 10c somewhere and secretly a big fan of headfirst rappelling

(This post was edited by bender on Sep 30, 2008, 1:06 AM)

sungam

Sep 30, 2008, 1:07 AM
Post #36 of 117 (6411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Antony, you climb to be a hardass?
Fuck that, I climb because it's fun, it's exciting, and because a good day's climbing make me feel all fuzzy inside. That and it get's my GF all hot and steamy.

jakedatc

Sep 30, 2008, 2:41 AM
Post #37 of 117 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salamanizer] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And that's fine too.. i'm not quite sure where folks who want to do scary shit get the idea that some people don't and that should be ok too. As fun as it is to break things i'd prefer not to.

personally i'd rather pull hard moves than do easier moves with less protection. The routes i listed are pretty much meant to be stick clipped by design.

There are many types of climbing for a reason. I rarely see sport climbers making the first shot against trad climbing.. it's silly that people argue against climbing that is dictated by the type of rock

kriso9tails

Sep 30, 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #38 of 117 (6376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
fancyclaps wrote:
From what I have seen most of the homemade stick clips work just as well at putting up draws or just ropes as a Squid does. They just can't take draws down

U R RONG!!!

Its not the stick clip, its the person using the stick clip.

I tell the ladies this all the time, but they never buy it. Then again, maybe I'm just ugly.

jakedatc

Sep 30, 2008, 3:08 AM
Post #39 of 117 (6373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ugly.. and Canadian... there is no hope for you Kris.. sorry man. Pirate

kriso9tails

Sep 30, 2008, 3:14 AM
Post #40 of 117 (6369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

Y' know, my mother told me the same thing. It's better to face reality I guess.

sungam

Sep 30, 2008, 3:23 AM
Post #41 of 117 (6364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

Y' know, my mother told me the same thing. It's better to face reality I guess.
If your face is as ugly as you imply it is, maybe it's best to face the corner...

chossmonkey

Sep 30, 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #42 of 117 (6343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
fancyclaps wrote:
From what I have seen most of the homemade stick clips work just as well at putting up draws or just ropes as a Squid does. They just can't take draws down

U R RONG!!!

Its not the stick clip, its the person using the stick clip.

I tell the ladies this all the time, but they never buy it. Then again, maybe I'm just ugly.
Maybe you just aren't as good with it as you think?

granite_grrl

Sep 30, 2008, 1:55 PM
Post #43 of 117 (6311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spiritual Crimes!!! O NOES!!!!

OP - the simple clamp is all you really need, and then you have to go out and get some stickclip-fu. For some it runs strong, for others they make their husbands take that first draw off (using the stick clip and their stronger fu you understand). Tongue

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Sep 30, 2008, 2:09 PM)

Aceto

Sep 30, 2008, 2:04 PM
Post #44 of 117 (6305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i realize that mescaline be hard to eat for the weak and many of u need it to understand many fundamental climb truths so i have a proposition for the OP

drink a mountain dew it will help

(This post was edited by Aceto on Sep 30, 2008, 2:05 PM)

cabdog

Sep 30, 2008, 2:06 PM
Post #45 of 117 (6302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salamanizer] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Salmanizer. You are on a high horse like most others on this site. Give me a break. I don't need self esteem, I need for jerkoffs like you to learn the mantra 'if you don't have anything nice to say, shut it'.

Stick clips are pretty inexpensive, I can afford it. Or, should I try to save my pride and break some bones?

I don't TR routes. I stick clip the first bolt to keep me from decking. I don't see the comparsion..you are so cool because you climb R/X. Can I get your autograph? Oh..that's right. Nobody cares that you climb those stupid death routes other than yourself. Who needs the self esteem?

(This post was edited by cabdog on Sep 30, 2008, 2:11 PM)

Aceto

Sep 30, 2008, 2:07 PM
Post #46 of 117 (6300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Spiritual Crimes!!! O NOES!!!!

OP - the simple clamp is all you really need, and then you have to go out and get some stickclip-fo. For some it is strong, for others they make their husbands take that first draw off (using the stick clip you understand). Tongue

there can be no crime in spiriutality just individual atrocities. i once climb for girl and money turned down a lucrative sponsorship the crime then was turning down money i desperate need.

Aceto

Sep 30, 2008, 2:08 PM
Post #47 of 117 (6295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cabdog wrote:
Salmanizer. You are on a high horse like most others on this site. Give me a break. I don't need self esteem, I need for jerkoffs like you to learn the mantra 'if you don't have anything nice to say, shut it'.

I don't TR routes. I stick clip the first bolt to keep me from decking. I don't see the comparsion..you are so cool because you climb R/X. Can I get your autograph? Oh..that's right. Nobody cares that you climb those stupid death routes other than yourself. Who needs the self esteem?

that is bullshit so sit and take note u binboo:

if u have no self esteem u will have depression and eat many prozac pill as ur doctor prescibe.

all he was just trying to do was give u confidence in urself to do a climb in good style with out being rediculusly neuroticism about safety.

so chill out.

(This post was edited by Aceto on Sep 30, 2008, 2:10 PM)

ajkclay

Sep 30, 2008, 2:20 PM
Post #48 of 117 (6282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

option c: sac up and climb to the first clip, place the 'draw, clip and continue.

Or top rope it - no shame in tr-ing.

cabdog

Sep 30, 2008, 2:21 PM
Post #49 of 117 (6278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Aceto] Superclip or Squid? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I am just sick of snobs Aceto. People who talk down to me and others because I may stick clip a bolt.

I don't need confidence, I climb plenty hard, and who made the guidelines that stick clipping a bolt is not good style?

Yes. I want to be safe when I climb. I don't care if you think that, in your terms, I am not climbing in good style if I stick clip a bolt. I am sure that I get as much gratificiation as I desire if I stick clip a bolt.

Sorry if I am a little hot-headed this morning.

(This post was edited by cabdog on Sep 30, 2008, 2:28 PM)

Aceto

Sep 30, 2008, 2:27 PM
Post #50 of 117 (6271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cabdog,

my blessed goose let me tell you that i have no beef with the style you choose so long as u agree with the style u choose yourself. climbing is a ME sport make sure when u think those term u are true to yourself.

You NOT wanted to stick clip is arguable selfish to your family and friend as u can get hurt.

(This post was edited by Aceto on Sep 30, 2008, 2:30 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook