Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Sep 29, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #51 of 81 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hersheygear88] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Already got a pack, but cheers for the beta Smile
Now if anybody *cough*graham*cough* wanted to, you know, give me a day sack or even a newer (I have V1, I think) big pack made of some kinda cool material, by all means I would show it off to everybody.
Wow, come to think of it, that sure would be a lot of product exposure!

dilbar

Sep 30, 2008, 8:46 PM
Post #52 of 81 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haggizdonny, don't forget to bring that obnoxious colored beanie. You wouldn't want to be bouldering shirtless without one on your noggin. People have killed climbers for less.

sungam

Sep 30, 2008, 9:10 PM
Post #53 of 81 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dilbar] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dilbar wrote:
Haggizdonny, don't forget to bring that obnoxious colored beanie. You wouldn't want to be bouldering shirtless without one on your noggin. People have killed climbers for less.
You mean the one from my oldskool "check me out I'm tearing up the ravy" photo's? (cringe)
Left that thing in a fecking supermarket. It was on my head when I went in, and when I left... gone.
I'll have to get a replacement, I guess powerstretch just isn't cricket at the boulders.

dilbar

Sep 30, 2008, 9:18 PM
Post #54 of 81 (1154 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
dilbar wrote:
You mean the one from my oldskool "check me out I'm tearing up the ravy" photo's? (cringe)
Left that thing in a fecking supermarket. It was on my head when I went in, and when I left... gone.
I'll have to get a replacement, I guess powerstretch just isn't cricket at the boulders.

Such is life, Haggizdonny. A life without powerstretch is a life that i do not know.

sungam

Sep 30, 2008, 9:56 PM
Post #55 of 81 (1146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dilbar] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should hear the gyp I get when I wear my powerstretchies out and about.
Some people just don't like tights on a guy, I guess.

anthonymason

Oct 1, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #56 of 81 (1129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No matter how fat I have become, I still look sexy in my purple/zebra climbin' tights from the early 80"s, plus my Kilt makes it all sexy. As long as I am not in the bay area!!!
If you can fake a Scottish accent, while being 3 sheets to the wind ,while wearing a kilt and a blaze orange beannie on you're heed, you will be a CHICK MAGNET for sure!!! or should I say a CHICK MAGNUS
Anthony

sungam

Oct 1, 2008, 1:58 AM
Post #57 of 81 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anthonymason] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Laugh
Like this?

yodadave

Oct 1, 2008, 2:11 AM
Post #58 of 81 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in case it hasn't already been covered
a good pack towel is a must for a world tour

sungam

Oct 1, 2008, 2:14 AM
Post #59 of 81 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yodadave wrote:
in case it hasn't already been covered
a good pack towel is a must for a world tour
Good catch, toiletries. I got a small pack towel and a toofbrush. Mebe a tube of toothpaste (but I'll probably just steal yours Tongue).
Can anyone think of anything else?
If I desperately need to shave to go into town or something I'll grab a cheap razor.
Oh, and I'll keep a nice stock of foot powder Smile
Anything else?

donald949

Oct 1, 2008, 4:00 AM
Post #60 of 81 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Seriously, I'm not going to have any "hot dates". This does not happen with magnus.
Also, a hoody? Like a sweater? I'll stick with my powerstretchy, methinks. cotton socks? I hate cotton, man. Now wool- I love wool.
I'm Scottish, remember? We wear kilts so the sheep can't hear our zips being undone?
I climb in my wool shirt. I like it, it feels good and doesn't smell, don't think I'll be taking any other tees. No doubt this one will become full of holes, but the I shall probably buy a second one.
As for going out. I'm bringing this sexy bright orange shirt. it's hawt. For trousers I'm planning on wearing my kilt or my black marmot pants- they look like suit trousers:
[image]http://www.backcountrygear.com/images/MarmotScreePantS07.jpg[/image]

As for jeans... I was considering bring some "fashionable" trousers. But jeans are just too thick and heavy, I think I'll go for some thin cargos or something.
The books are a good point- I don't wanna get bored with all this traveling. I think I'll bring one or two and give them to charity shops and pick up new ones along the way.
I was also thinking of bringing some juggling stuff or a hacky sack for some mild entertainment.

Those pants will be more than fine for going out and about, since we're not talking the Ritz. And packing jeans is a pain, too big and heavy. The bivy tent looks good, but add a tarp. I'm thinking something smallish and light weight.
I like the idea of picking up some odds and ends here, if the exchange rate is good for you. Check ebay and craigs list. Stove, pots, tarp, stoppers, and hexes (ho boy).
Now: "I'm also bringing a bivi tent and a down bag that is comfort rated to -0*C." Its good that the bag is -0, rather than only 0. ;D If you're fine with down and its limitations don't worry about that. But since 0*C is only freezing, consider carefully what you plan to do. It would be fine car camping in the SW deserts during the winter. As well as summer backpacking anywhere in the 48. But winter backpacking/camping in the mountains, I don't think so.
D

thej

Oct 1, 2008, 4:23 AM
Post #61 of 81 (1101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some good points have been made about a long trip. have you thought about these?

1. How long are you planning on staying places? If you are moving locations constantly, then pack light, but if you are going to be somewhere for weeks at a time, you might as well pack a little more and only have to move things every now and again..

2. Remind me again how you are planning on getting around? Bus, Train and plan go only so far and well. Transportation will be the most expensive thing you will encounter. Granted gas is still cheaper here than anywhere else in the world, but people are up in arms that it is as expensive as it is. So be prepared to fork out gas money, not just a case of beer. There is a lot of distance between most climbing areas and the nearest bus or train station, and especially airport.

3. I am not sure when you are coming, but play the seasons to your advantage. If you are going to "follow the climbing weather", which will be somewhat hard to do, just be mindful that you won't need warm clothes half the year that you are here. Summertime anywhere in the US is warm, and not everywhere is it cold during the winter. Essentially remember the golden rule, buy here. Obviously you aren't made of money, but you can leave the super hot/cold gear at home and get what you need as the seasons change. This way you aren't hauling 45kgs of warm clothes in July. You;ll want a few extra clean shirts (hot dates, going to town or not) in the midst of summer way more than any stretchy stuff.

4. Have you set out a daily budget? When doing this consider that travel should be split up between days. For example, when I was traveling in Asia our daily max budget was 25USD/day. We were able to come in way less, often less than 20.00 based on what we actually spent, but including transport we were right at 25.00 So, when flying to a city, we took the cost of the flight and split it up between the number of days we were in that city before we moved on, that was our "premium". We kept a details account of everything we spent, and it helped immensely to stay on track. Guesstimiation does not work.

5. Think about who you are going to bank with. Will they charge you a conversion rate? A rate every time you use a money teller (ATM)? Backup credit cards? Does the bank know you are going to be leaving the country.I do not think that Roger (at the New River Gorge) accepts travlers checks (I could be wrong, and I am sure if I am, somebody will let us both know).

I am not assuming you haven't taken care of these things. But honestly, finding partners and the actual climbing should be the easiest aspect of your trip. I am just thinking of things I didn't think of whenever I plan a trip. Sorry for the epically long post.

Hope that website I recommended was helpful.

follow the golden rule of travel:

Take half as much stuff, and twice as much money as you orginally think.

(I do realize that seems counter intuitive to my "you will want more" but having more money will solve those issues)

Bests of luck.

sungam

Oct 1, 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #62 of 81 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Double D, that was meant to read -10*, although with a silk liner and some clothes I've been down around that, probably lower, without incident.

TheJ, I'm going to check out prices of transport etc. and put down a daily spending plan based on that. I feel no shame in a bit of bin digging.
There's a bit of a blip in my planning- will I have a license or not.
Whilst in NC I might be taking my driving test, hopfully I'll pass and be able to rent a car in between bus trips. I also don't mind a "urban hike" to get to people's places from the next town across if it really comes to that.
I'll be taking quite a lot of money, and it's getting put into a US account.
Thanks for the info.

alpinethrills

Oct 1, 2008, 2:19 PM
Post #63 of 81 (1082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you get your license, you should know about renting cars in the states, many states (most, in fact) have a minimum age of 21 for rentals, and a daily charge of $25-75 in addition to the standard rate, for being under 25.

thej

Oct 1, 2008, 2:27 PM
Post #64 of 81 (1081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am not sure of the logistics, but I think you can take a driving test, or apply for an international driver's licenses before you come. I know of some Kiwis who are road tripping, and they just got international drivers licenses before they came.

I guess if you can travel on the American passport you can skip that, and with an American passport get a bank account....if there are any banks left by the time you get here. just kidding...sorta.

sungam

Oct 1, 2008, 2:48 PM
Post #65 of 81 (1076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinethrills] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alpinethrills wrote:
If you get your license, you should know about renting cars in the states, many states (most, in fact) have a minimum age of 21 for rentals, and a daily charge of $25-75 in addition to the standard rate, for being under 25.
fuck.
Looks like I'll be switching around with my travel plans depending on state, then.
I could always just buy a junker and re-sell (what a bad idea)

donald949

Oct 1, 2008, 8:04 PM
Post #66 of 81 (1061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
alpinethrills wrote:
fuck.
Looks like I'll be switching around with my travel plans depending on state, then.
Some rental companies won't even talk to you, since you're under 25, extra $$ or not. A buddy of mine was only able to rent a car in FL by giving the Coorperate Account number. Which may have been a problem if he got in an accident, since he was on vacation.
-10*C/15*F bag got it. Sounds like you know what weather you can use it for, so that's good.
D

mtnkid85

Oct 1, 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #67 of 81 (1048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
alpinethrills wrote:
fuck.

Really if your planning on renting cars often, it may very well be cheaper for you to buy a rig here then sell it before you leave. Just buy any early model Toyota truck/4runner you can find and Ill nearly guarente you it will last a year. Cost ~1000 dollars perhaps. I have no idea what car rentals will cost but It would probally be cheaper to buy a 1000 truck put fuel in it, change the oil once or twice and dump it at the end...
But I guess that would lead to needing insurance, getting it regestered ect, which may be a big pain!

Hmm

sungam

Oct 2, 2008, 12:13 AM
Post #68 of 81 (1047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtnkid85] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't want to pay for the gas to drive across the country (I'll leave that to WMD) I was going to bus it between "hot spots" and possibly rent a car at each spot. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear.

alpinethrills

Oct 2, 2008, 1:32 AM
Post #69 of 81 (1043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There might only be like 3-5 states that will even rent cars to you at under 21, so I would suggest finding some deal with a bus company for unlimited rides for a year, get good at hitch hiking. If you buy a car that would be really convenient for you, but it would entail spending the money on gas to drive cross-country. Insurance is probably $200-$300 per month for you in the states.

sungam

Oct 2, 2008, 1:37 AM
Post #70 of 81 (1042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinethrills] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The bus deal thing is what I'm aiming for right now.

donald949

Oct 2, 2008, 4:54 PM
Post #71 of 81 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

Check out greyhounds rates online. Lots of people do just that, and you would assume them to be cheap. But once a freind tried to catch a ride across Fl and found it to be cheaper to fly one way. Not to mention faster.
D

sungam

Oct 2, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #72 of 81 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
sungam wrote:

Check out greyhounds rates online. Lots of people do just that, and you would assume them to be cheap. But once a freind tried to catch a ride across Fl and found it to be cheaper to fly one way. Not to mention faster.
D
I'll keep an eye out for that, tanks =)

sungam

Oct 7, 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #73 of 81 (968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New addition to the list: Nail clippers, moistureizer sunblock and teh chapstick (how could I forget?)
Can anyone think of little things like those that I wouldn't wanna end up without?

joeforte

Oct 8, 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #74 of 81 (966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seam grip and a lil flat roll of duct tape can repair nearly anything.

sungam

Oct 8, 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #75 of 81 (963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Sungam's g.e.a.r. list A.K.A what haggizdonny needs to TAKE ROCKCLIMBNG.COM BY STORM!!!!111eleven1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
Seam grip and a lil flat roll of duct tape can repair nearly anything.
Good thinking. I'm also adding a sewing kit.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook