Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner j_ung

Oct 6, 2008, 1:09 PM
Post #1 of 40 (4105 views)
Shortcut

New Restaurant at NRG  ()
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry, this isn't really climbing, but it will affect a big chunk of mid-atlantic climbers, so here goes...

Paradoxically, Fayetteville is home to some of the best little restaurants I've been to while still maintaining a kind of bleak restaurant scene. While they're fantastic, we really only have a few great places to choose from: Cathedral Cafe, Pies and Pints, Sedona, Gumbo's and Smoky's (if you have the cash). Now there's a new player in town: Diogi's Mexican Grill and Cantina.

Notably, this is actually the third Mexican Restaurant in the immediate vicinity. But the other two are the type where, no matter what you order, it's the same as 99% of the other Mexican restaurants you've been to. Diogi's is very different. Fresh ingredients, an owner who's a chef, and a Fayetteville location (where old Pies and Pints was) combine to make this a must-eat-at for NRG climbers.

Diogi's owners are a young El Salvadorean chef from Philly and his wife, who grew up down the road in Hinton, WV. They only opened last Wednesday and already, the place is packed at dinner time. It is named for the couple's four dogs (Diogi = d-o-g), and well-behaved dogs are welcome to sit, leashed, on the back deck with their eating owners. No dogs allowed inside.

Now the really important stuff. The food is killer. The menu is HUGE and most meals come with two sides, which gets you a lot. Wendy and I shared fish tacos and a shrimp fajita wrap, and had a chipotle black bean dip for an appetizer. You can eat good food like you were raised in a barn for under $10, and you get a punch card when you're done -- your 11th meal is free! They even have a decent vegetarian selection.

I'd love it if these guys succeeded here in town. So i'd appreciate it if you keep them in mind next time you're at the New. Just don't neglect the others. Unimpressed

sungam

Oct 6, 2008, 2:07 PM
Post #2 of 40 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good mexican food is one of the few things from the states that I REALLY miss. You just can't get it over here, it all sucks.
Hey, on another note, I heard a couple of dogs got arrested in that area a few years ago, something about a murder case?

Partner camhead

Oct 6, 2008, 2:13 PM
Post #3 of 40 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We'll have to check it out, Jay.

Which reminds me, wanna climb this weekend?

dreday3000

Oct 6, 2008, 2:18 PM
Post #4 of 40 (4073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to see the old pies and pints building is being put to good use. Will defiently check it out next time I'm in that next of the woods.

Do they do lunch burritos? Seems that was always an idea people where thinking about restarting in the New. Might be good business for em'.

Partner j_ung

Oct 6, 2008, 4:10 PM
Post #5 of 40 (4039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dreday3000 wrote:
Glad to see the old pies and pints building is being put to good use. Will defiently check it out next time I'm in that next of the woods.

Do they do lunch burritos? Seems that was always an idea people where thinking about restarting in the New. Might be good business for em'.

Hmm, don't know. I'll ask, though, and if not, I'll plant the seed.

hansundfritz

Oct 6, 2008, 7:59 PM
Post #6 of 40 (4008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went to the NRG for the first time this summer. Very pleasantly surprised at the food on offer. We ate dinner at P&P almost every night. Really great -- fresh ingredients, cold beer. Mexican place in the Wal-Mart shopping center also pretty good. Also enjoyed breakfast at the Cathedral. In fact, I think I came home about 5 pounds heavier.

One of the best things about going to the Gunks, IMO, is the great food in New Paltz. Used to be a place called the Last Stand for burritos. Bacchus still there after 25+ years. I love Seneca, but the 4U can't compare.

Partner j_ung

Oct 6, 2008, 8:01 PM
Post #7 of 40 (4006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hansundfritz] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember the Last Stand. My first ever climbing-trip Mexican Food, it was.

Partner j_ung

Oct 6, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #8 of 40 (4004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hansundfritz wrote:
Mexican place in the Wal-Mart shopping center also pretty good.

Oh, right I forgot that one. Okay, this is the FOURTH Mexican restaurant... but the only one worth visiting, IMO.

knieveltech

Oct 6, 2008, 8:10 PM
Post #9 of 40 (3998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Sorry, this isn't really climbing, but it will affect a big chunk of mid-atlantic climbers, so here goes...

Paradoxically, Fayetteville is home to some of the best little restaurants I've been to while still maintaining a kind of bleak restaurant scene. While they're fantastic, we really only have a few great places to choose from: Cathedral Cafe, Pies and Pints, Sedona, Gumbo's and Smoky's (if you have the cash). Now there's a new player in town: Diogi's Mexican Grill and Cantina.

Notably, this is actually the third Mexican Restaurant in the immediate vicinity. But the other two are the type where, no matter what you order, it's the same as 99% of the other Mexican restaurants you've been to. Diogi's is very different. Fresh ingredients, an owner who's a chef, and a Fayetteville location (where old Pies and Pints was) combine to make this a must-eat-at for NRG climbers.

Diogi's owners are a young El Salvadorean chef from Philly and his wife, who grew up down the road in Hinton, WV. They only opened last Wednesday and already, the place is packed at dinner time. It is named for the couple's four dogs (Diogi = d-o-g), and well-behaved dogs are welcome to sit, leashed, on the back deck with their eating owners. No dogs allowed inside.

Now the really important stuff. The food is killer. The menu is HUGE and most meals come with two sides, which gets you a lot. Wendy and I shared fish tacos and a shrimp fajita wrap, and had a chipotle black bean dip for an appetizer. You can eat good food like you were raised in a barn for under $10, and you get a punch card when you're done -- your 11th meal is free! They even have a decent vegetarian selection.

I'd love it if these guys succeeded here in town. So i'd appreciate it if you keep them in mind next time you're at the New. Just don't neglect the others. Unimpressed

Oh Snap! That explains what I was smelling in the gas station parking lot this weekend. We where all standing around going *sniff sniff* DAMN something smells good but couldn't figure it out because we knew pies and pints had closed. Definitely gonna check this out on the next trip up and word to supporting the local businesses.

Partner j_ung

Oct 6, 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #10 of 40 (3997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Allen,
Had a great time climbing with you bums. This is where Wendy and I ate last night. Definitely check it out.

knieveltech

Oct 6, 2008, 8:20 PM
Post #11 of 40 (3987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Hey Allen,
Had a great time climbing with you bums. This is where Wendy and I ate last night. Definitely check it out.

Yeah we had a pretty good time climbing with you too. For a supposed trad-dad you highball boulder pretty good (photographic evidence on the way).

currupt4130

Oct 6, 2008, 8:54 PM
Post #12 of 40 (3969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll have to check it out this weekend when I'm there.

Partner mr8615

Oct 6, 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #13 of 40 (3965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds rad! We'll have to check it out when Robyn and I are up for the deadpoint mag thingy.

Partner j_ung

Oct 7, 2008, 2:50 PM
Post #14 of 40 (3924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mr8615 wrote:
Sounds rad! We'll have to check it out when Robyn and I are up for the deadpoint mag thingy.

Lemme know if you guys need a place to stay that weekend.

dreday3000

Oct 7, 2008, 3:01 PM
Post #15 of 40 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just out of curiosity, anybody ever been to Smokey's? How pricey is it? Worth the splurge?

lena_chita

Oct 7, 2008, 3:10 PM
Post #16 of 40 (3906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll definitely check it out. For some reason I really feel like Mexican food after climbing.

LOL, did anyone see the piece about diarrhea & DWS combo after eating at the Mexican place at NRG in the latest Climbing "epics" issue?
I admit I didn't like the restaurant that is 'not-mentioned' with a very transparent substitute name in the article to begin with, but I ended up not liking the afore-non-mentioned restaurant even more.

Partner j_ung

Oct 7, 2008, 3:42 PM
Post #17 of 40 (3887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dreday3000 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, anybody ever been to Smokey's? How pricey is it? Worth the splurge?

Here you go. I think you can expect dinner alone to run around $18, but that's more a guesstimate than anything else. The food is fantastic, and it's all you can eat.

http://www.class-vi.com/smokeysonthegorge.cfm

markc

Oct 7, 2008, 4:25 PM
Post #18 of 40 (3862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What, you don't consider the Western Pancake House to be fine dining? I had their cornmeal pancakes one morning and could barely get off the ground.

sungam

Oct 7, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #19 of 40 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
What, you don't consider the Western Pancake House to be fine dining? I had their cornmeal pancakes one morning and could barely get off the ground.
Perfect climbing food then, yeah? Tongue

Partner j_ung

Oct 7, 2008, 5:30 PM
Post #20 of 40 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:

Sadly, I consider the Western Pancake House closed for the past year. Unsure

markc

Oct 7, 2008, 5:37 PM
Post #21 of 40 (3818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
markc wrote:

Sadly, I consider the Western Pancake House closed for the past year. Unsure

That shows how often I've been able to make it to the New over the past few years. Damn, that's a hard blow. That place seemed to be a healthy mix of locals, rafters, and climbers. Too bad.

dreday3000

Oct 7, 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #22 of 40 (3803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. Looks like it might be worth a gander.

lodi5onu

Oct 7, 2008, 6:20 PM
Post #23 of 40 (3789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The ONLY thing I would change about the NRG, would be to have Cathedral use real eggs.

$.02

markc

Oct 7, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #24 of 40 (3787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] New Restaurant at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
markc wrote:
Perfect climbing food then, yeah? Tongue

It was a poor choice for a climbing day, but damn good. I climb like shit anyway, so it was just one more handy excuse.

naitch

Oct 7, 2008, 7:26 PM
Post #25 of 40 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hansundfritz wrote:
One of the best things about going to the Gunks, IMO, is the great food in New Paltz. Used to be a place called the Last Stand for burritos. Bacchus still there after 25+ years. I love Seneca, but the 4U can't compare.

Not to hijack the thread, but most people at Seneca eat at the Front Porch Restaurant - at least for dinner. Good pizza. The only time we go to the 4 U is for breakfast or if the Front Porch isn't open. I think Seneca could stand to have a bit more variety and competition though...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook