RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

hossjulia

Oct 18, 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #1 of 6 (547 views)
Shortcut

Rude/clueless campers at Indian Creek
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had occasion to be in Indian Creek, Bridger Jack Mesa, last week. It was great weather until Friday when the wind kicked up and blew a storm in.
this is one of my favorite special places to go visit and attempt to climb at, and I was dismayed by the lack of respect for this place I observed in some camps.
Biggest one were the loud partiers who kept it up until after 1 am, even after being asked repeatedly to quiet down. (We don't care if you have to shit or not just don't leave your TP in the bushes!)
The wind picked up during the day on Thursday, and continued into the night. it was breezy in the morning. What makes you think it's OK to go off and leave your camp fully set up, stoves, plates, FOOD, trash, empty beer cans, etc., to blow off during the day while your out climbing? Did you think the wind would magically go away? This stupid phenomena I observed at 2-3 camps on my rest day. NO, I did not go running after to pick up anyones stuff. Hope you found your pot shield, and didn't just leave it on PRIVATE PROPERTY for trash. That's right, the wind blew a lot of this debris onto the Nature Conservancies ranch.
What makes you think it is Ok to set your tents up way off in the crypto soil? If I coulda walked out there with out stepping on any, I would have pulled the stakes up myself so they would blow away. Your car was parked on the good tent site.
Another site, somebody decided it was Ok to go off and leave their fire burning. On a windy day. If I had potatoes to roast I would have taken advantage of that beautiful bed of coals.
A fast way to ruin a good campsite is to move the fire ring to a spot YOU deem better in some way, leaving a pile of filthy black charcoal and setting your perfect new fire right on top of the good tent pads.

This is a sensitive area in more ways than the average climber seems to realize. Abuse it, and we will loose it. The privilege to camp there is just that.
Wake up and pay attention! Read the signboard ferchristsake! and a little common courtesy in the noise department, eh?

Thank you

(This post was edited by hossjulia on Oct 18, 2008, 2:48 AM)

crimpandgo

Oct 18, 2008, 2:49 AM
Post #2 of 6 (529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hossjulia] Rude/clueless campers at Indian Creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just what is "crypto soil"

Is that encrypted soil that now looks like something else??Blush

hossjulia

Oct 18, 2008, 3:00 AM
Post #3 of 6 (515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpandgo] Rude/clueless campers at Indian Creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.soilcrust.org/crust101.htm

Every climbing guide book to the area gives a warning about this stuff.
Please DO read the front of your guide books, they usually contain important info about the area you are going to climb at.

petsfed

Oct 18, 2008, 3:06 AM
Post #4 of 6 (506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpandgo] Rude/clueless campers at Indian Creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crimpandgo wrote:

You live in Arizona and you don't have any experience of cryptobiotic soil?

Jesus, even I know about that stuff.

crimpandgo

Oct 18, 2008, 3:08 AM
Post #5 of 6 (501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Rude/clueless campers at Indian Creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
crimpandgo wrote:

You live in Arizona and you don't have any experience of cryptobiotic soil?

Jesus, even I know about that stuff.

Well. jeezzeeweezee
if you had said "cryptogamic" I would have known exactly what you meant... Blush

climbingtrash

Oct 18, 2008, 3:16 AM
Post #6 of 6 (484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hossjulia] Rude/clueless campers at Indian Creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hossjulia wrote:
I had occasion to be in Indian Creek, Bridger Jack Mesa, last week. It was great weather until Friday when the wind kicked up and blew a storm in.
this is one of my favorite special places to go visit and attempt to climb at, and I was dismayed by the lack of respect for this place I observed in some camps.
Biggest one were the loud partiers who kept it up until after 1 am, even after being asked repeatedly to quiet down. (We don't care if you have to shit or not just don't leave your TP in the bushes!)
The wind picked up during the day on Thursday, and continued into the night. it was breezy in the morning. What makes you think it's OK to go off and leave your camp fully set up, stoves, plates, FOOD, trash, empty beer cans, etc., to blow off during the day while your out climbing? Did you think the wind would magically go away? This stupid phenomena I observed at 2-3 camps on my rest day. NO, I did not go running after to pick up anyones stuff. Hope you found your pot shield, and didn't just leave it on PRIVATE PROPERTY for trash. That's right, the wind blew a lot of this debris onto the Nature Conservancies ranch.
What makes you think it is Ok to set your tents up way off in the crypto soil? If I coulda walked out there with out stepping on any, I would have pulled the stakes up myself so they would blow away. Your car was parked on the good tent site.
Another site, somebody decided it was Ok to go off and leave their fire burning. On a windy day. If I had potatoes to roast I would have taken advantage of that beautiful bed of coals.
A fast way to ruin a good campsite is to move the fire ring to a spot YOU deem better in some way, leaving a pile of filthy black charcoal and setting your perfect new fire right on top of the good tent pads.

This is a sensitive area in more ways than the average climber seems to realize. Abuse it, and we will loose it. The privilege to camp there is just that.
Wake up and pay attention! Read the signboard ferchristsake! and a little common courtesy in the noise department, eh?

Thank you

Ah yes, camping next to the wilderut-frat boys from waaaay'rado is fun isn't it. But hey-hey the Creek is the chique place to be.Wink

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook