RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

armsrforclimbing

Sep 20, 2008, 7:05 PM
Post #1 of 10 (6222 views)
Shortcut

Niagara Glen Access Issues
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Ontario Access Coalition needs the help of all concerned climbers in trying to prevent the Niagara Parks Commission from eliminating bouldering access in the Niagara Glen. Please refer to the link at the bottom of this message for details on how to contact the Parks Commission and to voice your support for preserving climbing access in the Niagara Glen. Not that it needs to be said but please be cordial and respectful in any comments that are made to the Niagara Parks Commission.

A strong, unified community will go along way in helping to prevent these actions and preserve access to the natural resources that we all so much enjoy.

http://www.ontarioaccesscoalition.com/...id=108&Itemid=43

sungam

Sep 20, 2008, 7:09 PM
Post #2 of 10 (6215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [armsrforclimbing] Niagara Glen Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks serious.
I hope you keep your access!

roclimb

Sep 23, 2008, 3:42 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Niagara Glen Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow,

That would really suck!

I have some really fond memories of bouldering there back in the day.

~Rob.

armsrforclimbing

Sep 27, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can help by signing this petition:

One of the best climbing areas in the North-East is in danger of being closed to climbers. I signed the petition "Establish a bouldering management plan for the Glen". I'm asking you to sign this petition to help us reach our goal of 250 signatures. I care deeply about this cause, and I hope you will support our efforts.

You can view this petition at: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/tell-a-friend/1799821

bjohnson2

Oct 24, 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please take a few moments to sign the online petition, perhaps even leave a comment and let your voice be heard. I'm from BC and have never visited the glen, but may one day want to do so, and you may find yourself wanting to boulder there as well one day. There is an interesting story on the globe and mail website, as well as a video, and a discussion. Leaving an informitive and respectfull reply there can help educate the public and garner more support for continuing access to the glen. You can read the story at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/...NStory/lifeMain/home

irregularpanda

Oct 24, 2008, 8:20 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

armsrforclimbing wrote:
You can help by signing this petition:

One of the best climbing areas in the North-East is in danger of being closed to climbers.

You can view this petition at: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/tell-a-friend/1799821

Clicky for easy.

I hope it's not too late.

grover

Oct 28, 2008, 5:12 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A little publicity for the cause.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/...NStory/lifeMain/home

kriso9tails

Oct 28, 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grover] Niagara Glen Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

grover wrote:
A little publicity for the cause.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/...NStory/lifeMain/home

I've sent all the problems in the video portion... except one. I'm so rad.

Anyway, it's a good video/ article and I think Jany did a good job representing the Glen. Anyone that knows her knows that she's a sincere and passionate person.

The issue is a bit frustrating, but the Niagara Parks Commission and the Access Coalition have a decent relationship and I don't think the NPC intends any ban. The report that suggests bouldering no longer be allowed, but it does only that: suggest.

There do need to be some reforms made to how people boulder in the Glen. Most notably, stay on the existing paths, avoid new problem development that involves damaging any vegetation, don't top out through vegetation on existing problems. Naturally climbers should limit their impact as much as they can and not leave any garbage or discarded tape etc. in the Glen. Simple stuff. Most people are good. Some people are not.

Does climbing (and outdoor recreation in general) have an impact on that area and environment? Yes. It would probably be negligible if it weren't the tiny shred of green space left that hasn't been consumed by development (if you look at it on a map, half the small green area you see is actually a golf course).

The thing is, if that area weren't used for hiking, fishing, climbing etc. hardly anyone would give a shit about the glen or its preservation. Too many people in that area are disconnected enough from nature and in terms of natural preservation, that region has bigger problems.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Oct 28, 2008, 11:48 PM)

Parkerkat

Dec 12, 2008, 4:17 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone heard any update on this? Do we know when a final verdict will be reached?

Such a great place which makes this hard to take after watching tons of non-climbing whippersnappers trudging through every space that was not a path last summer...random family BBQs at the top, while the kids come down by the river to blaze a few trails through the wilderness : (

I'd suggest they just do a few park ranger spot checks where a few times of the summer they have a ranger come through and ticket anyone who is caught littering or going off the paths.. once word gets out about this....or if they post a sign, I'm sure people will think twice about risking their own endangered items...i.e. MONEY.. threaten cash, and people will keep it clean!

Update please!

Thanks!

dreday3000

Dec 12, 2008, 5:17 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Parkerkat] Niagara Glen Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, it would be a real shame if the Glen gets closed. Signed the petition, hope it helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook