Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chrisbursey

Oct 27, 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #1 of 47 (8784 views)
Shortcut

possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know if storing climbing gear in a close proximity to chlorine (the powdered kind for pool cleaning) is a bad idea? I didnt know if the fumes of it are hazardous to nylon or spectra the way battery acid is.

sungam

Oct 27, 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #2 of 47 (8778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisbursey] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

your software will fall apart.
To summerize:
YORE GUNNA DIEE!!!!!!1111oneoneelevin11111

kennoyce

Oct 27, 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #3 of 47 (8774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yep, i can't agree more completely. YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

superory

Oct 27, 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #4 of 47 (8772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisbursey] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i work at a pool and chlorine is gnarly in just about every form. we use a liquid form which i would think gives off more fumes than the powder but it even has an affect on the metal of the doors. i would be more worried about the acid that often goes along with pool chemicals as that stuff is wicked and the door to that room has rust all over it and keep in mind that these are well ventilated rooms at an outdoor facility. in short i wouldn't put my climbing shit anywhere near the stuff.

Edited to add: YOU WILL MOST CERTAINLY DIE!!!1111!!

(This post was edited by superory on Oct 27, 2008, 11:07 PM)

clausti

Oct 27, 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #5 of 47 (8755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chrisbursey wrote:
Does anyone know if storing climbing gear in a close proximity to chlorine (the powdered kind for pool cleaning) is a bad idea? I didnt know if the fumes of it are hazardous to nylon or spectra the way battery acid is.

chlorine is one of THE most reactive substances you are likely to ever encounter unless you're in the habit of playing with elemental sodium. (hint: don't mix the two)

I wouldn't store anything I care about where it has any chance of coming in contact with any chlorine.

...nor do I understand how "the powdered kind for pool cleaning" has fumes.

irregularpanda

Oct 27, 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #6 of 47 (8747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chrisbursey wrote:

I bet you'd be alright (says the random douche on the interwebs) maybe you should swallow some chlorine first to test it's level of reactivity.

patto

Oct 27, 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #7 of 47 (8737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mgc-a.com/Pages/MXD6/media/MSDS-MXD6-6.pdf

"INCOMPATIBILITIES (materials to avoid):
Avoid contact with acids, and oxidizing agents."

Chlorine is an oxidizing agent. Though fumes from powered chlorine might not be an issue. (powdered chlorine doesn' t really 'fume')

raingod

Oct 28, 2008, 12:11 AM
Post #8 of 47 (8721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After watching chlorine eat pretty much anything it comes in contact with at the pool I used to work at I'd say keep them well seperated. As for fumes maybe powdered chorine doesn't fume but can you be sure some of that powder won't get loose and comeinto contact with your gear...

skiclimb

Oct 28, 2008, 2:51 AM
Post #9 of 47 (8671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh boy thinking back to my old O-Chem course...

Generally hydrocarbons arn't extremely reactive outside the presence of acidic or basic solutions or very high temperatures (combustion)

Then again Chlorine is one of the most reactive molecules there is....so

Call the rope manufacturer.

kane_schutzman

Oct 28, 2008, 3:19 AM
Post #10 of 47 (8657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so say I have a harness in my truck, and when I get done swimming at the pool here I tend to throw my swimming shorts into the back, sometimes wet. If they landed on the harness, maybe for hours on end. Am I fucked, should I toss it, and damn that was a nice arteryx

clausti

Oct 28, 2008, 3:21 AM
Post #11 of 47 (8653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't do that.

coolcat83

Oct 28, 2008, 3:27 AM
Post #12 of 47 (8652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kane_schutzman wrote:
Ok, so say I have a harness in my truck, and when I get done swimming at the pool here I tend to throw my swimming shorts into the back, sometimes wet. If they landed on the harness, maybe for hours on end. Am I fucked, should I toss it, and damn that was a nice arteryx

depends, did you swim laps? what stroke?, i'm super paranoid about gear. chlorine is crazy i've seen it do some really bad stuff in chem labs, and even worse on EMS calls when someone has misused it, i'm not sure if it would do really bad things to the harness in the diluted concentration that's in a pool. but who knows, battery fumes kill ropes, chlorine is not battery acid, but it's nasty still. if it worries you retire it, if you do that don't toss it, at least send it to be tested, i'm sure someone or some company would be happy to break it for you.

(This post was edited by coolcat83 on Oct 28, 2008, 3:28 AM)

kane_schutzman

Oct 28, 2008, 3:33 AM
Post #13 of 47 (8647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well you see, its my harness, but I let others use it when they climb with me.WinkPersonally, I ll never put it on, lol.

(This post was edited by kane_schutzman on Oct 28, 2008, 3:33 AM)

sky7high

Oct 28, 2008, 5:05 AM
Post #14 of 47 (8612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, yer gonna die!

superory

Oct 28, 2008, 5:24 AM
Post #15 of 47 (8605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i played water polo my suits wouldnt last more than a month or two cuz i would just throw them into my bag after practice and they would just start to fall apart.

so if my calculations are correct your harness has two months left and then its an absolute death trap.

tradrenn

Oct 28, 2008, 9:13 AM
Post #16 of 47 (8575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
chlorine is one of THE most reactive substances you are likely to ever encounter unless you're in the habit of playing with elemental sodium. (hint: don't mix the two)

Why ?

sungam

Oct 28, 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #17 of 47 (8568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
clausti wrote:

Why ?

sbaclimber

Oct 28, 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #18 of 47 (8560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
clausti wrote:

Why ?
Yeah, I wanna make my own table salt at home. What's wrong with that!?

clausti

Oct 28, 2008, 2:34 PM
Post #19 of 47 (8527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
clausti wrote:

Why ?

all atoms REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to have 8 electrons in their outer shell. you'll notice the periodic table is 8 across at the top,... they are listed by how many they have in their outer shell.

and anyways, to get 8, they will share or steal electrons from other atoms. (this is why the noble gasses are so UNreactive, they already have 8, they don't give a fuck.)

chlorine has 7. it will fucking steal the 8th.

sodium as 1, which it is constantly trying to give away.

sodium, for example, will blow the fuck up if you let it touch water. chlorine will kill you, because it likes to replace other elements in already stable molecules, like, you.

(This post was edited by clausti on Oct 28, 2008, 2:36 PM)

HR1

Oct 28, 2008, 3:18 PM
Post #20 of 47 (8507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can someone say TROLL???

... oh, and how 'bout Chlorinated Hydrocarbons...

dynosore

Oct 28, 2008, 3:41 PM
Post #21 of 47 (8490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
Oh boy thinking back to my old O-Chem course...

Generally hydrocarbons arn't extremely reactive outside the presence of acidic or basic solutions or very high temperatures (combustion)

Then again Chlorine is one of the most reactive molecules there is....so

Call the rope manufacturer.

Think again. Chlorinated polymers abound for a reason......

Clearly the OP has no where to store his gear except next to a big ole bucket of pool chlorine, right.

dynosore

Oct 28, 2008, 4:01 PM
Post #22 of 47 (8475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
chrisbursey wrote:

I wouldn't store anything I care about where it has any chance of coming in contact with any chlorine.

...and just how are you going to come into contact with elemental chlorine? Which would you rather be exposed to, sodium or chlorine?

sungam

Oct 28, 2008, 4:19 PM
Post #23 of 47 (8462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh, whichever.
Neither will get far.

jdefazio

Oct 28, 2008, 4:27 PM
Post #24 of 47 (8456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] possible dangerous effects of chlorine fumes on climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"dynosore wrote:
<snip> Which would you rather be exposed to, sodium or chlorine?

Wait, which one gets you high?

clausti

Oct 28, 2008, 5:37 PM
Post #25 of 47 (8427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
clausti wrote:
chrisbursey wrote:

...and just how are you going to come into contact with elemental chlorine? Which would you rather be exposed to, sodium or chlorine?

um, chlorine doesn't have to be in it's elemental form to be reactive. anytime it can trade out for more control of that final electron, it will jump ship.

and elemental (gaseous) chlorine will kill you, whereas elemental sodium will just burn you. so i guess sodium.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook