RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

skloppen

Nov 12, 2002, 1:23 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Which Harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Which is better, the Fish Wall Swami, the Yates Shield or the Yates Big Wall Harness? Or is there another harness that is better?

I'll be using it for aid and trad. (I'll probably still use my current harness for sport)

I like the price of the Fish harness, but am unsure about the lack of a buckle. Do you have to tie a water knot in the webbing each time? If so, that seems like it would be a big pain in the #ss to get undone most of the time, but maybe not.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of disagreement here, but just say what you think (and why please).

thanks in advance

from STefan

hans

Nov 12, 2002, 1:35 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Which Harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

STefan,

I can't comment on the various models of harnesses, although I'm interested to hear what others' responses are.

I have an old Yates Big Wall, and my kidneys have almost recovered from the last time I used it four or five years ago. The foam padding on the new model seems like a real good idea.

As far as the water knot goes, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle, since [you] should only have to tie/untie it once per climb. And not having a metal buckle chafing against your gut and/or getting in the way of all the stuff girth-hitched to your harness for a few days/weeks is probably a good thing.

-Hans

[ This Message was edited by: hans on 2002-11-11 17:36 ]

vegastradguy

Nov 12, 2002, 1:40 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I LOVE my Yates Shield harness. It's quite comfy. If you're doing a TON of aid, you might consider the Big Wall harness its even more comfy and is the same price.

Hanging belays were nice, in it (Crimson Chrysalis!), and aid work is fine, even on a overhang. I sat in mine for something like 4 and a half hours setting a route in the lead cave and I was fine afterwards.

I don't really have any input on the Fish harness, although tying it off every time is not my idea of fun. The Yates Shield used to be like that (when it was the half dome), but they've since changed it to buckles. Although, my partner has it and he doesn't mind it.

Good luck!

gunked

Nov 12, 2002, 2:53 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yates Shield rocks!!! I can free with no problem, unlike their big-wall harness. I've taken a huge fall and a 10 foot static fall and it was quite comfy both times. Well, as comfy as you can get for a static fall (full length daisy chain fall onto a cam). In other words, it didn't hurt!

Not familiar with the other one. Good Luck!

Jason

timpanogos

Nov 17, 2002, 6:16 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please help! I’m also in the market for a harness. I was in my local pro shop tonight and asked about the Yates Shield. They highly recommended the Misty Mountain Cadillac Big Wall harness (go to products , then bigwall). Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have any experience with upward loops – this harness has 4 up, 2 down. Also, what does “captive, reinforced tie-in points” mean? Also, please check out the “Big wall gear sling” on this same page and comment.

Thanks

Chad

edit: fixed the link

[ This Message was edited by: timpanogos on 2002-11-16 22:17 ]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook