RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Oct 29, 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5069 views)
Shortcut

Memory Card question.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just bought a better memory card for my Canon Powershot A620 that has much more space and also claims to be 3x faster, does that refer to the uploading/downloading speed or just faster processing of pics?

I recently decided to get serious about learning the tricks of the trade, as I am a noob when it comes to photography, anywhere that anyone could direct me to get a general idea of the technical aspect would be much appreciated.

majid_sabet

Oct 29, 2008, 1:05 AM
Post #2 of 10 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mecalekahi-mekahidyho] Memory Card question. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

buy only the high end modles from sandisc, lexar, samsung, micron.all other are made from the reject chips that we dump to china for recycling.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Oct 29, 2008, 2:51 AM)

STLjeeper

Oct 29, 2008, 1:13 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, to answer the question that was asked. It refers to the internal speed of the card (think burst). The transfer speed to the PC depends more upon the interface (USB, USB2.0, IEE1394).

I have several cheap cards and a few of the expensive ones. All CF for my Canon DSLR. They all hold the advertised capacity. If they didn't, I'd return them for a refund. But, the faster cards do allow you to take more pics quicker as long as its within the limitations of your camera hardware.

Hope that helps.

STLjeeper

Oct 29, 2008, 6:59 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [STLjeeper] Memory Card question. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my reference to capacity was in relation to majid's reply stating that some cards only hold a fraction of their listed size. His post has since been edited to remove that remark. Just clarifying.

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Oct 29, 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [STLjeeper] Memory Card question. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I see.... Thanks for the reply.

Time to do some studying on my cameras' features and settings. There is a crapload of em'.Crazy

pico23

Oct 31, 2008, 4:55 AM
Post #6 of 10 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Memory Card question. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
buy only the high end modles from sandisc, lexar, samsung, micron.all other are made from the reject chips that we dump to china for recycling.

Hmm?

Anyway, to answer the question.

The card speed allows the buffer to clear faster up to the bus speed of the buffer.

So at a certain point the camera can't clear the buffer any faster regardless of a faster card. A Series Canons like any consumer camera will not make the most out of cards. It would be uneconomical for them to put the same chip and data transfer rate into a $200 camera that goes into a $4000 camera.

However, downloading images from your card to computer will be about as fast as the card reader you upgrade too.

Even a USB or Firewire from a few years ago, usually doesn't make the most out of modern cards. Since even on a good day with rebates ultra high speed cards cost at least $10 (I got 4 Sandisk 4GB Extreme IIIs for $40 total after rebates) shelling out a few bucks extra for a faster reader makes sense.

The sandisk Extreme IIIs come with a USB thumb reader and a file recovery software. Well worth full price without rebate IMO.

I like Sandisk, maybe I'm a Sandisk fanboy Wink!!!!

majid_sabet

Oct 31, 2008, 5:10 AM
Post #7 of 10 (4934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] Memory Card question. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pico23 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Hmm?

The card speed allows the buffer to clear faster up to the bus speed of the buffer.

So at a certain point the camera can't clear the buffer any faster regardless of a faster card. A Series Canons like any consumer camera will not make the most out of cards. It would be uneconomical for them to put the same chip and data transfer rate into a $200 camera that goes into a $4000 camera.

However, downloading images from your card to computer will be about as fast as the card reader you upgrade too.

Even a USB or Firewire from a few years ago, usually doesn't make the most out of modern cards. Since even on a good day with rebates ultra high speed cards cost at least $10 (I got 4 Sandisk 4GB Extreme IIIs for $40 total after rebates) shelling out a few bucks extra for a faster reader makes sense.

The sandisk Extreme IIIs come with a USB thumb reader and a file recovery software. Well worth full price without rebate IMO.

I work for two of those companies I named above and I test memory cards all day long.

pico23

Oct 31, 2008, 6:51 AM
Post #8 of 10 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Memory Card question. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
pico23 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Hmm?

I work for two of those companies I named above and I test memory cards all day long.

Fair enough, but I'd have prefaced it with that.

Sometimes people spew nonsense and then it pollutes the quality of information people can obtain.

BTW, i have a bunch of Transcend cards (2GB 150X) and I run transcend in my PC RAM (well 2 slots of the 4) and no issues.

But I have to say, you see way fewer Sandisk (premium...Ultra/Extreme) complaints for failure on the various review sites than for the other brands.

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Nov 1, 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #9 of 10 (4883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] Memory Card question. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks.

I have a Powershot A620-Canon, is that model pretty outdated or would it make good use of a faster card?

pico23

Nov 1, 2008, 1:11 AM
Post #10 of 10 (4874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mecalekahi-mekahidyho wrote:
Thanks.

I have a Powershot A620-Canon, is that model pretty outdated or would it make good use of a faster card?

To me buying the fastest cards that seem reasonably priced is sort of "future proofing" yourself. Keep in mind that for instance the Nikon D90 requires a fairly fast card for the HD video, so the guy that was buying 60X cards for the last few years because they were fast enough, might realize he should have been buying 150X and is stuck with a bunch of cards that work just fine for photo transfer but are a bit slow for video.

Also, if you use the cards for anything else, such as portable storage, or simply when it comes time to dump 4GB-16GB of photos onto the PC will all benefit from a faster card.

That said, don't overpay for a faster card. Look for rebates and good deals. Like I said, I really like the Sandisk because of the software, thumb drive, and reliability...but for the money when I paid $15 for my 150X transcends I could not be happier. Unfortunately transcend when UP in price, and sandisk with the rebates went WAAAY down.

Also, Sandisk upper/premium series cards have guaranteed (minimum) read and write speeds, so while A-Data or Transcends 150X cards might achieve 150X they aren't guaranteed to. However, that said, the "other brand" cards I have are generally pretty much on the money.

So if you need a bigger card, opt for the fastest that are reasonably priced, or that you are willing to pay.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook