RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

Partner j_ung

Nov 14, 2008, 2:08 PM
Post #1 of 1 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Clarification on moderating policies coming soon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

From the moment I applied for this job, I knew that sooner or later I was going to have to tackle the issue of forum moderation. It's a actually a fairly complex issue. There's a vocal minority that wants less moderation, and there's a vocal minority that wants more moderation. And in between there's a vast majority who just want us to be consistent and transparent. Well, I share your concerns. There are times when I want less, need more and times when, yeah, we could do a better job of being both transparent and consistent.

Well, I've spent much of the last three weeks dealing with forum-based issues and even more time attempting to write something that will clarify our forum moderation policies publicly and explicitly so, if we stray from it, you'll know and have recourse to call us out in a way we can all accept. But this policy isn't just for you. In fact, the benefit for the moderators is probably more than for you. Having a set policy to define what we do in various situations -- while still making it possible for us to consider each one's unique variables -- will make our jobs straight-up easier. And believe you me, easier would be better. Moderating forums is the only part of my job that I actively hate. It's always frustrating, and it sucks time and energy I could have spent writing articles, fixing bugs, working on the RDB, etc. That some people in our little community have stepped forward to help with this fucked-up task speaks volumes for their love of and dedication to it. Simply by volunteering, IMO, they earned your respect. I am acutely aware, however, of how vital it is for us to work to keep it.

Anyway, I had planned on posting that policy this morning. But to be honest, I just don't think it's ready. I only finished it yesterday and I want more time to consider it and gather feedback. I may even PM some of you in the next day or two to ask your opinions.

In the meantime, I hope you can be patient with me while I make sure we get this right. You can expect to hear something again early next week.

Thanks a bunch,
Jay

EDIT: Okay, I'm reeeeaaalllly sorry, but because of unavoidable travel constraints (I don't want to be out of reach when questions begin to roll in), look for this Thursday morning.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Nov 17, 2008, 3:20 PM)

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook