Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner neuroshock

Sep 20, 2007, 3:39 PM
Post #26 of 83 (6598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Regarding the Olympics, I guess no one remembers that it was supposed to be a demonstration sport in the Barcelona games (1992). IIRC, it missed by 4 votes.
which could become a short throw away from being a full-medal sport. I remember sitting in isolation for the taekwondo JO's when an official came in and announced to everyone that TKD had just been voted in as a demonstration/exhibition sport for the '96 games. it went full-medal in the 2000 games.

bigga

Sep 20, 2007, 4:15 PM
Post #27 of 83 (6583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [VGL] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I Hope to G-d climbing never becomes an Olympic sport

sgauss

Sep 20, 2007, 4:30 PM
Post #28 of 83 (6575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Daniael] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Daniael wrote:
Actually I had heard climbing was already an Olympic sport, just not one that was an "included" Olympic sport - the difference being obviously that they do not include it in the Olympics. The IOC meets and determines the events for the forthcoming Olympics, and I believe the events are set through 2012 in London - the 2016 have not been set so there is a possibility of climbing being included then.

Ooh! I see a personal upside for me in this! If they add climbing to the Olympics in 2016, AND Chicago gets the 2016 games, then they'd have to build a killer wall somewhere around me to hold the comp on!

(This post was edited by sgauss on Sep 20, 2007, 4:30 PM)

keyless

Sep 20, 2007, 6:04 PM
Post #29 of 83 (6555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgauss] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sgauss wrote:
Daniael wrote:
Actually I had heard climbing was already an Olympic sport, just not one that was an "included" Olympic sport - the difference being obviously that they do not include it in the Olympics. The IOC meets and determines the events for the forthcoming Olympics, and I believe the events are set through 2012 in London - the 2016 have not been set so there is a possibility of climbing being included then.

Ooh! I see a personal upside for me in this! If they add climbing to the Olympics in 2016, AND Chicago gets the 2016 games, then they'd have to build a killer wall somewhere around me to hold the comp on!

Hey good point! I now reverse my opinion on chicago hosting the 2016 Olympics. We only have 9 more years to go! I can't wait! (i'm serious).

Partner ctardi

Nov 18, 2008, 3:49 AM
Post #30 of 83 (6264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgauss] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

$5 says it takes place on a temporary wall inside a hockey/footbal/soccer stadium.

Climbing can not become an olympic sport until there are some international rule sets, and international standards for coaching, judging, belaying, etc.

JAB

Dec 1, 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #31 of 83 (6175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ctardi] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ctardi wrote:
Climbing can not become an olympic sport until there are some international rule sets, and international standards for coaching, judging, belaying, etc.

We're talking speed climbing here. There is no ambiguity about the rules: first up is the winner!

sungam

Dec 1, 2008, 3:58 PM
Post #32 of 83 (6153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sure as feck hope it doesn't make it. Comps are bad enough.

dingus

Dec 1, 2008, 4:11 PM
Post #33 of 83 (6152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sirtalkmuch] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sirtalkmuch wrote:
Also, climbing should be open to new members, not closed off like some secret society.

But climbing IS a secret society....

DMT

dudemanbu

Dec 3, 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #34 of 83 (6082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ultraloveninja] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ultraloveninja wrote:
i hope climbing does not get into the olympics.

casue then it will turn into another glam-glazed sport like snowboarding did.

This scores big points for you my friend, as you have obviously never been to a climbing gym.

Hennessey

Dec 4, 2008, 3:24 AM
Post #35 of 83 (6053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lemon_boy] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lemon_boy wrote:
seems like climbing has existed just fine for a long time without being associated with the olympics.

climbing + olympics = gay

Couldn't agree more. But if it did become an Olympic sport it would give me a reason to watch them.

rckclimber380

Jan 21, 2009, 6:17 AM
Post #36 of 83 (5901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

but if you think about it if climbing was an olympic sport people would give us climbers more respect and maybe those sweet climbing areas on private land would become open for climbing

mikeboomer12

Jan 21, 2009, 6:51 AM
Post #37 of 83 (5895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Olympic watchers could get into a boulder style competition. A set problem that people try and send or not. It's pretty exciting stuff...a lot more fun than weightlifting.

keinangst

Jan 21, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #38 of 83 (5876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikeboomer12] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about everyone else, but my local curling ice and badminton courts are taking reservations now. 20 years ago I could just show up with my friends for a couple of pickup games. F*cking Olympics ruin everything. :D

Seriously, I think bouldering would be a nice addition. You can usually find decent bouldering areas within a couple hours of most major cities, and if not, just build something (like the fake rivers for kayaking). I don't think it would bring an incessant number of people to the sport, especially since climbing gyms have already made climbing mainstream in people's awareness. Most people who are ever going to climb have already tried it, so lack of awareness isn't an issue. $0.02

(This post was edited by keinangst on Jan 21, 2009, 3:49 PM)

GeneralZon

Jan 21, 2009, 3:49 PM
Post #39 of 83 (5871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

x-games has a speed climbing competition.

mturner

Jan 21, 2009, 3:50 PM
Post #40 of 83 (5870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralZon] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GeneralZon wrote:
x-games has a speed climbing competition.

correction...had a speed competition. Never really took off.

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2009, 3:56 PM
Post #41 of 83 (5869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squamishdirtbag] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squamishdirtbag wrote:
Climbing..... Oylmpics??
Might be a difficult thing to judge, as it is a game without a score. Spectators seek to reward the winner and think of them as the best. Contest with self, in dramatic isolated forms of nature, not contest with each other.

comps are so lame

While I agree with your comment about how climbing should be more about the competition with one's self, climbing as a competitive sport most certainly has a score.

dingus

Jan 21, 2009, 3:57 PM
Post #42 of 83 (5867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason it never took off is that WATCHING plastic pulling comps is slightly less exciting than watching paint drying.

Climbing is not a spectator sport. Its not a team sport. Its not a judging sport. It goes slowly and the subtlties of V8 vs. V9 are completely lost on a non-climbing audience.

YAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN.

I went to a World Cup event once - I fell asleep.

DMT

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2009, 4:03 PM
Post #43 of 83 (5861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ajkclay] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ajkclay wrote:

Demystifying our "sport" for the masses may well bring some big advantages for us in terms of access.

Probably some plusses and minuses on this, but I would think that with greater recognition comes greater education, and with greater education comes greater access.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has ever looked at how access has evolved over time. Do we have more access than 50 years ago or less? My guess is more, and if that is true then I would suspect that trend to continue with greater visibility.

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2009, 4:13 PM
Post #44 of 83 (5856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ctardi] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ctardi wrote:

Where did you get the idea that there are no standards? I've also judged at several rock difficulty comps and I've got to say it's not a free-for-all comp. Coaches aren't just for shouting and cheering, the judges aren't simply making shit up on the spot, and the belayors are time tested. Of all the comps, I've only seen one injury due to a belaying mistake, and that guy was immediately removed from duty.

My impression is that standards are pretty high as a result of the decades of organized competition climbing existence.

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #45 of 83 (5854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JAB wrote:
ctardi wrote:

We're talking speed climbing here. There is no ambiguity about the rules: first up is the winner!

Doesn't have to be speed climbing. Personally, I hate watching speed climbing. I'd much rather watch the difficulty comp instead. Yeah, it's slower to boil, but sometimes that actually builds up excitement.

GeneralZon

Jan 21, 2009, 5:11 PM
Post #46 of 83 (5837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good correction. Hmm, yea I am dating myself now. 2000 philly xgames. Haven't really kept up with that...

mikeboomer12

Jan 21, 2009, 7:12 PM
Post #47 of 83 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keinangst] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure they'd be pulling plastic, not heading out to the local boulders...

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 21, 2009, 7:22 PM
Post #48 of 83 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Outside of the fact that you would only see the competition on TV in the USA if there was a "story" to sell...You are not being nearly creative enough.

Think of the special edition Prana costumes and their impact on judging. Think of the heartwarming bios about the complex life of a 15 yr old prodigy. Think of the tie ins as every gym in the country sets up a section just like the gold metal route. Who cares if the actual event sucks, think of all of the other "bebefits"

dingus

Jan 21, 2009, 8:28 PM
Post #49 of 83 (5794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
ajkclay wrote:

Demystifying our "sport" for the masses may well bring some big advantages for us in terms of access.

Probably some plusses and minuses on this, but I would think that with greater recognition comes greater education, and with greater education comes greater access.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has ever looked at how access has evolved over time. Do we have more access than 50 years ago or less? My guess is more, and if that is true then I would suspect that trend to continue with greater visibility.

Mainstraming this sport is only good if you are either:

a. Mainstream yourself (ie you wouldn't participate at all without all these modern social trappings, like gyms and boulder posses (haha, that is so easily Freudian slipped!)).

b. You can some how make money off the mainstream (guide, guide book author, commercial climbing related web site, gyms, how to books, blah blah blah

Aside from these two attrributes I can see no other positives relative to main streaming climbing, in America. I look to examples from over the Pond and I think... if that's the end game of mainstream I want no part of it.

But then again, I never did, want to be mainstream. Yall caught up to me a-swimmin in my own stream, not the other way around.

Keep the Olymipcs and mainstream for more deserving sports like skiing and shuffle board.

Cheers
DMT

dingus

Jan 21, 2009, 8:31 PM
Post #50 of 83 (5792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Climbing in the Olympics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, better gear. Mainstreaming has clearly produced enough of a commerical market to result in plentiful and better gear.

Gotta give credit where credit is due.

DMT

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook