Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Nov 19, 2008, 4:23 AM
Post #26 of 37 (487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carbonrx8] Really? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

(she really DID spray to a valley legend about a top rope ascent lol... was all bent out of shape she got called on it too)

DMT

bennydh

Nov 19, 2008, 4:27 AM
Post #27 of 37 (485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Really? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope all of these posts don't overshadow threads where we can all learn how to self rescue by tearing apart the core of a rope then re-tying it into a longer cord to rap off of.

We are doing a horrible disservice to the climbing community if the awesome Microsoft paint arrow drawings that litter those threads are never seen and never re-posted in other content rich threads.

I should be ashamed of myself for wasting the internet as an informational tool, when it could be used for valuable information, like what hypo-allergenic dog our president elect will choose to let shit all over the white house.

Shame on me. Shame on me.

areyoumydude

Nov 19, 2008, 4:43 AM
Post #28 of 37 (477 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Posting Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
A friend of mine was spraying gloriously about an infamous Yosemite offwidth. Her comment was along the lines of the above... 'I felt it wasn't that bad at all.'

Now she was having this convo in person and the folks with whom she was spraying were discussing the merits (and scariness) of LEADING the bloody thing.

Then it came out she'd done it on top rope.

A very notable Yosemite climber, who no longer stands on this side of the veil with the rest of us, blurted out,

"If you didn't lead it you didn't climb it. Your opinion is null and void."

She did NOT appreciate that frank appraisal. in fact it stung her pretty good.

She had it coming.

DMT

Sounds like something Walt would have said.

Senate156

Nov 19, 2008, 4:55 AM
Post #29 of 37 (467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] Really? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, someone commenting on gear placement and all that while only TR'ing the route is poser-ish. That is, of course, if said person claimed that she climbed it on lead and was commenting on gear placement as if she had actually placed the gear.

If she was simply making conversation by saying, "yeah, I can see how crazy that route would be with placing all the gear...." Then that's a different situation altogether. It's not spray, but a genuine respect for those who have lead the route on gear.

But...from the context you gave us, there is no way to discern how the comments were made.

I think the real issue is...why does it matter? I mean yeah, it's annoying when people bs about climbing routes, especially when they act aloof and pretentious because they TR'ed the route and they are just sooo good.

But really this pity arguing that occupies 70% of this site is rather embarrassing. I mean really, is she affecting you at all? Yeah, it makes you upset, because all climbers should have the same outstanding ethics that you do, right? Well guess what, you cannot, nor will ever be able to control anyone else besides yourself. You cannot stop these "posers" from making false claims and giving out beta on climbs they've never actually done. Nothing you can do now or ever will change this...it's simply a facet of every single dimension of life (i.e. there will always be people like that).

So, instead of wasting our time and your time by throwing a hissy fit about this, why don't you accept that there are just people like her in this world. ...If you are really outraged then effect a change by being the truest, most authentic climber you can possibly be. And take the anger that "posers" give you and re-direct it towards your climbing.

Next time your at a campgrounds, or a bar, and you hear someone you think to be giving glorified beta, or whatever you want to call it, just laugh at it...let them think they're the shit. You'll know the truth and you'll be the one out there experiencing the climbs "fully", without "cheating".

Don't let something so trivial ruin your climbing trip, day, or whatever. There simply are ignorant people in this world...we cannot change them.

dingus

Nov 19, 2008, 4:57 AM
Post #30 of 37 (465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] Really? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bennydh wrote:
I hope all of these posts don't overshadow threads where we can all learn how to self rescue by tearing apart the core of a rope then re-tying it into a longer cord to rap off of.

We are doing a horrible disservice to the climbing community if the awesome Microsoft paint arrow drawings that litter those threads are never seen and never re-posted in other content rich threads.

I should be ashamed of myself for wasting the internet as an informational tool, when it could be used for valuable information, like what hypo-allergenic dog our president elect will choose to let shit all over the white house.

Shame on me. Shame on me.

Wank on brother, here's a hanky.

DMT

carbonrx8

Nov 19, 2008, 5:00 AM
Post #31 of 37 (461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Senate156] Really? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Senate156 wrote:
Yeah, someone commenting on gear placement and all that while only TR'ing the route is poser-ish. That is, of course, if said person claimed that she climbed it on lead and was commenting on gear placement as if she had actually placed the gear.

If she was simply making conversation by saying, "yeah, I can see how crazy that route would be with placing all the gear...." Then that's a different situation altogether. It's not spray, but a genuine respect for those who have lead the route on gear.

But...from the context you gave us, there is no way to discern how the comments were made.

I think the real issue is...why does it matter? I mean yeah, it's annoying when people bs about climbing routes, especially when they act aloof and pretentious because they TR'ed the route and they are just sooo good.

But really this pity arguing that occupies 70% of this site is rather embarrassing. I mean really, is she affecting you at all? Yeah, it makes you upset, because all climbers should have the same outstanding ethics that you do, right? Well guess what, you cannot, nor will ever be able to control anyone else besides yourself. You cannot stop these "posers" from making false claims and giving out beta on climbs they've never actually done. Nothing you can do now or ever will change this...it's simply a facet of every single dimension of life (i.e. there will always be people like that).

So, instead of wasting our time and your time by throwing a hissy fit about this, why don't you accept that there are just people like her in this world. ...If you are really outraged then effect a change by being the truest, most authentic climber you can possibly be. And take the anger that "posers" give you and re-direct it towards your climbing.

Next time your at a campgrounds, or a bar, and you hear someone you think to be giving glorified beta, or whatever you want to call it, just laugh at it...let them think they're the shit. You'll know the truth and you'll be the one out there experiencing the climbs "fully", without "cheating".

Don't let something so trivial ruin your climbing trip, day, or whatever. There simply are ignorant people in this world...we cannot change them.

I refuse to read that. Too meny wurds.

EDITED TO ADD: I LOVE BACON!

(This post was edited by carbonrx8 on Nov 19, 2008, 5:10 AM)

bennydh

Nov 19, 2008, 5:16 AM
Post #32 of 37 (451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Laugh now this thread is only missing vector arrows.

areyoumydude

Nov 19, 2008, 5:34 AM
Post #33 of 37 (448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I use to like bacon. that's just gross.

lodi5onu

Nov 20, 2008, 7:30 PM
Post #34 of 37 (411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] Posting Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump

crazy_fingers84

Nov 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #35 of 37 (394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] Posting Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

(This post was edited by crazy_fingers84 on Nov 21, 2008, 12:59 AM)

suilenroc

Nov 20, 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #36 of 37 (390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazy_fingers84] Posting Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fixed it 4 u crazy_fingerer84 Laugh

(This post was edited by suilenroc on Nov 20, 2008, 11:43 PM)

Facelyss

Nov 20, 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #37 of 37 (374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Really? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:

Well I use to like bacon. that's just gross.

Second that. Honestly, who comes up with this crap?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook