Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

bbowers

Nov 23, 2008, 6:24 PM
Post #1 of 99 (14921 views)
Shortcut

How to get rid of this gut
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like to consider myself relatively in shape, as of this morning I weigh 196.3Lbs. I'm 5'10"... used to play soccer all my life until a mountain biking accident messed my knee up so I can't play.

I started climbing almost 2 years ago...currently my main weakness is my horrible days when my forearms pump out on the first climb. I try to pay attention to what I eat, but sometimes this forearm pump crap lasts a few days. I climb at the gym every other day.

Anyway on to whats bothering me.... I have a gut (I think anyway) I can vary my weight from 204lbs to around 175 by changing what I eat for a few days...but the gut is always there.

What do you do to get rid of your gut and get those abs exposed? I feel like getting rid of this extra baggage will get me that extra performance I need.

shimanilami

Nov 23, 2008, 6:39 PM
Post #2 of 99 (14908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bbowers] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some possibilities are:

=> Start smoking.
=> Take up methamphetamines.
=> Switch to diet sodas.
=> Get lyposuction.
=> Pray that the Lord will take away your gut.

I once heard that weight loss comes down to exercising more and eating less, but that seems kind of ridiculous to me.

petsfed

Nov 23, 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #3 of 99 (14907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bbowers wrote:
I like to consider myself relatively in shape, as of this morning I weigh 196.3Lbs. I'm 5'10"... used to play soccer all my life until a mountain biking accident messed my knee up so I can't play.

I started climbing almost 2 years ago...currently my main weakness is my horrible days when my forearms pump out on the first climb. I try to pay attention to what I eat, but sometimes this forearm pump crap lasts a few days. I climb at the gym every other day.

Anyway on to whats bothering me.... I have a gut (I think anyway) I can vary my weight from 204lbs to around 175 by changing what I eat for a few days...but the gut is always there.

What do you do to get rid of your gut and get those abs exposed? I feel like getting rid of this extra baggage will get me that extra performance I need.

Do more cardio, especially running if the old injury doesn't prevent it. More core exercises. More roof routes. Steep stuff will force your core to get strong so that you can keep your feet on the wall. Adjust your diet to minimize fat intake.

As to your flash pump issue, try warming up on easier stuff, and really focus on training endurance. The flash pump is due to an inadequate warm up before hand.

spikeddem

Nov 23, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #4 of 99 (14904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a bodybuilder's cliche that "abs are made in the kitchen." That is to say, more emphasis should be made on following a strict meal plan, rather than working abs extra hard in the gym.

If I remember correctly, most people need to get below about 12% bodyfat to have their abs start to look nice.

Genetics play a big role, too.

All that said, working on your technique will probably be more helpful (and easier) than getting down to that low of bf%.

suilenroc

Nov 23, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #5 of 99 (14904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You sound like a chickLaugh...

I drink 12 cups of coffee everyday, smoke a lot of cigarettes, eat sometime around 6pm, then i begin my daily ritual of PBRs until i pass out.

bbowers

Nov 23, 2008, 6:49 PM
Post #6 of 99 (14893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its funny, all I need to do is go back to bagels or cereal for breakfast, salad for lunch with chicken, and lean quisine for dinner. I can drop to 175 like nothing, granted my caloric intake is something around 1300 to 1500 a day. I have no fat on my arms, none on my legs, its all in my mid section.

I dont want to be a twig again, my girl hates that...

spikeddem

Nov 23, 2008, 6:58 PM
Post #7 of 99 (14885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bbowers wrote:
Its funny, all I need to do is go back to bagels or cereal for breakfast, salad for lunch with chicken, and lean quisine for dinner. I can drop to 175 like nothing, granted my caloric intake is something around 1300 to 1500 a day. I have no fat on my arms, none on my legs, its all in my mid section.

175 is still about 20 lbs over the ideal weight for a male of a medium frame. If you've got a large frame, then it's possible that you're within the ideal weight, as the upper end is 175. (This is all according to Met Life.)

Going down in bf% and overall weight doesn't mean you can't increase or maintain muscle mass.

petsfed

Nov 23, 2008, 7:00 PM
Post #8 of 99 (14879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
bbowers wrote:

175 is still about 20 lbs over the ideal weight for a male of a medium frame. If you've got a large frame, then it's possible that you're within the ideal weight, as the upper end is 175. (This is all according to Met Life.)

Going down in bf% and overall weight doesn't mean you can't increase or maintain muscle mass.

Well fuck. I've got a slender frame, under 12% body fat, and I weight 175. Met Life is full of shit.

spikeddem

Nov 23, 2008, 7:04 PM
Post #9 of 99 (14875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
bbowers wrote:

Well fuck. I've got a slender frame, under 12% body fat, and I weight 175. Met Life is full of shit.

Frame doesn't refer to being skinny, slender, fat, muscular or anything else. Additionally, there are many dubious methods of measuring body fat. It's quite possible you have an inaccurate bf%. Also, they're only applicable for people 25-59.

Most importantly, however, you're right. They're full of shit. As I kept doing some searching, it's a poor estimate of an "ideal" (which means lowest mortality rate, nothing else) weight.

(This post was edited by spikeddem on Nov 23, 2008, 7:05 PM)

shockabuku

Nov 23, 2008, 7:15 PM
Post #10 of 99 (14858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stop eating so much.

It's conceptually simple. But it's hard to do.

It's also long term. Once you get past the first couple of weeks it's much easier. You really can get by on very much less than you'd think. But actually losing the gut takes a couple of months on a pretty slim intake.

Drink lots of water or tea prior to meals. An orange and a big glass of water makes a good snack to get you through the stomach grumbling between meals.

bbowers

Nov 23, 2008, 7:28 PM
Post #11 of 99 (14845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah yeah I know... I can't help it. I LOVE eating at Moe's. Im going to the store tonight to get some normal food. Moes for dinner as it will be my last in a while.

So what exercises should I concentrate on to burn some of this fat off my stomach? I don't really enjoy running... it puts a lot of stress on the bad knee, and after a while my hips don't feel great either. I can bike a lot though.

pro_alien

Nov 23, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #12 of 99 (14813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the rowing machine, more gentle on the knees, and you can vary the grip to give your forearms something to do as well.

shockabuku

Nov 23, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #13 of 99 (14791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I love to eat too, that 's why I have about an extra 10-15 on me most times.

Running is the best result for the time input but I don't do much of it either for the same reasons you don't.

I'd suggest biking as a good alternative, or swimming. Biking is quite a time investment however, as it seems to take about twice as much time or more of biking to get the same result as running. Usually for the biking to be a very good weight management tool for me involves somewhere around 30 miles or more at a shot (which I don't have time for these days) with some considerable hill training. I don't know about simming because I just don't do it, but it is a good whole body exercise. I tried rowing for a while, but it's pretty boring and I'd just as soon rest my hands when I'm not climbing.

petsfed

Nov 23, 2008, 8:55 PM
Post #14 of 99 (14770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
petsfed wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
bbowers wrote:

Frame doesn't refer to being skinny, slender, fat, muscular or anything else. Additionally, there are many dubious methods of measuring body fat. It's quite possible you have an inaccurate bf%. Also, they're only applicable for people 25-59.

Most importantly, however, you're right. They're full of shit. As I kept doing some searching, it's a poor estimate of an "ideal" (which means lowest mortality rate, nothing else) weight.

I checked their frame system. According to them, I'm a medium frame. And according to them, I'm overweight. My bodyfat has been measured a couple of different ways (although the calipers are closest to the mean, so I go with those) and the mean is about 11%. And I'm 25. So they are full of shit.

petsfed

Nov 23, 2008, 8:56 PM
Post #15 of 99 (14767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Yeah, I love to eat too, that 's why I have about an extra 10-15 on me most times.

Running is the best result for the time input but I don't do much of it either for the same reasons you don't.

I'd suggest biking as a good alternative, or swimming. Biking is quite a time investment however, as it seems to take about twice as much time or more of biking to get the same result as running. Usually for the biking to be a very good weight management tool for me involves somewhere around 30 miles or more at a shot (which I don't have time for these days) with some considerable hill training. I don't know about simming because I just don't do it, but it is a good whole body exercise. I tried rowing for a while, but it's pretty boring and I'd just as soon rest my hands when I'm not climbing.

Swimming will work the abs more, so you'll hit two birds with one stone. And its usually fairly low impact injury wise, so that'd be the way I'd go.

Hennessey

Nov 24, 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #16 of 99 (14722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bbowers wrote:

I'm about 200lbs at 5'11" And trying to lose about 15-20 pounds. I know if I starve myself for a few days I only drop about 5-7 lbs.

So how the hell can you drop 29lbs. just by changing what you eat for a couple days.

marebear

Nov 24, 2008, 1:39 AM
Post #17 of 99 (14699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So what exercises should I concentrate on to burn some of this fat off my stomach? I don't really enjoy running... it puts a lot of stress on the bad knee, and after a while my hips don't feel great either. I can bike a lot though.

If you have a good gym to go to, take some spinning, yoga and pilates classes. Those are all easy on the knees, and good calorie burners. Also, try a stair climber or a versa climber machine. Both of those burn calories like running does, without the impact on your knees.

As far as getting rid of belly fat, there is all this internet mumbo jumbo about "flat belly diets". Most emphasize smaller meals spread throughout the day to keep your blood sugar level and heart healthy fats like almonds, olive oil, salmon, etc. at every meal. Here's a link to one from Web MD: http://www.webmd.com/...ures/flat-belly-diet I've been following a similar eating schedule and have seen some results. Good luck!

dynosore

Nov 24, 2008, 1:46 AM
Post #18 of 99 (14694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bbowers wrote:

Sounds like you answered your own question.

I'm 5-10 165 and while I am thin I don't hardly think I qualify as a twig....depends on your build I guess.

milesenoell

Nov 24, 2008, 2:05 AM
Post #19 of 99 (14681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I know there are lots of people who know more than I do about training and nutrition, but one thing I have found is that more than any other area of the body, the gut responds to not just how much you've been working out over a period of weeks/months/years, but especially how much you may have worked it day by day. I'm a bit of a hippy, and hackey sack is one of my old favorite ways to kill a few minutes. On days that I kick a little sack, even just a few minutes, my abs stay tighter all day just like sucking in your gut for the rest of the day. My brother likes to to Brazilian jiu jitsu for the same reason.

Valarc

Nov 24, 2008, 2:05 AM
Post #20 of 99 (14681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty much in the same boat - I've been losing a little weight but nowhere near what I'd like to lose. And like you, it's all concentrated in my beer gut, which is depressing because I've almost completely cut beer out of my diet.

I come from a family full of fatasses, so I think the combination of my unhealthy PA upbringing (I crave AP cakes and cheesesteaks like nobody's business), and poor genetics contribute to it being extra-tough for me to lose the gut completely. I've been biking at least 30 minutes a session three times a week, and cut way back on sugary drinks, and have seen a bit of progress, but I'd love to speed this shit up.

bbowers

Nov 24, 2008, 2:42 AM
Post #21 of 99 (14662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hennessey] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hennessey wrote:
I'm about 200lbs at 5'11" And trying to lose about 15-20 pounds. I know if I starve myself for a few days I only drop about 5-7 lbs.

So how the hell can you drop 29lbs. just by changing what you eat for a couple days.

It wasn't for a few days, it was for a total of 2 months... I started eating roughly 1300 calories a day for 2 months, with the occasional big meal which is good for you at that point. I went from 204 to 175 so i know I can do it again. I felt so much better then too.

Tonight at the gym was great...no flash pump, maybe I was just tired that day. I did 2 traverses around the gym, and a bunch of back and forth on the roof section and overhanging sections, so maybe it was just a bad few days.

southswell

Nov 24, 2008, 2:51 AM
Post #22 of 99 (14653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
bbowers wrote:

Definitely full of shit. i have a med/large frame and would be 185 @ 0% bf

shockabuku

Nov 24, 2008, 2:58 AM
Post #23 of 99 (14650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
my unhealthy PA upbringing (I crave AP cakes and cheesesteaks like nobody's business

My mom just came to visit. She brought Good's potato chips (potatoes and salt cooked in lard), and Tastycakes. Just what I need.

armsrforclimbing

Nov 24, 2008, 3:02 AM
Post #24 of 99 (14643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get on the P90X train!!!!!

bbowers

Nov 24, 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #25 of 99 (11730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [armsrforclimbing] How to get rid of this gut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

armsrforclimbing wrote:
Get on the P90X train!!!!!

wtf is p90x?

and yeah my mom doesn't help either. She stuff me full of cookies and crap and tells me to stop drinking so much beer cause i have a beer gut...Unimpressed

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook