Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tylerofcamp4

Nov 14, 2002, 5:02 AM
Post #26 of 28 (2697 views)
Shortcut

Dean's Swing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I saw Danos second to last jump. (an hour before his death.) and from what i saw was he canged his jump spot so he would have to jump over the retrieval line this was his big mistake the jump line slid over the retrieval line and rapped arround the retrieval line and took all of the impact away from the 1000ft tyrolean rig and put all of it on the weak retreival rig holding the retreival pulley. Well, the jump line was yanked up and jammed the third knot i think? through the retreival pulley at 65-75 mph this caused his knot to break causing his fatal fall

climberdude13

Nov 26, 2002, 8:51 PM
Post #27 of 28 (2697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont let nylon rub on nylon it will break

mattiem

Nov 26, 2002, 9:21 PM
Post #28 of 28 (2697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok there a MILLION threads on Dan Osman's death. That was NOT the point of this thread so don't try to turn it into a stupid flame about knot failure or whatever you guys are bitching about

ok now that the rant is out of the way. Dan has a rope onhis back as he is free soloing. He does what he refers to as "the kings swing" i believe. He does this on one single strand you can clearly see this in the video it is NOT a double strand if you see the video you can be sure of this. Then after the swing he has the same rope on his back. Its not a smaller bundle of rope then before and it is the same color. As stated above he makes a big deal about never leaving stuff behind on el cap so know he didn't leave the rope. I have two ideas as to how this may have happened though neither sounds very good. First is after he made the swing he could have tied off the end that was on his harness, jugged back to the opposite side and re-swung across on the opposite end. The problem with this si that he was doing a speed ascent and jugging and reswining would take a lot of time. The other idea is that there are some knots and hitches that only hold under load. Perhaps he ties such a knot and then whenhe made the swing he flicked the rope a few rimes and the knot undid itself. This seems ULTRA-SKETCHY becuase the knot could slip as he was swinging back and forth. I'm still under the impression that the camera man might have untied it its all i can come up with that makes sense. Any constructive ideas about the swing welcomed.

Bitch about rope jumping in another thread,
thanks
matt

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook