Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

suilenroc

Nov 27, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #51 of 74 (2314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [looserock] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

looserock wrote:
I've seen ropes anchored at the edge before, and I've seen people swing from the side to rap down thier doubled climbing rope. What is the best way to rap over the edge if the rope is tied at or near the edge?

You would want to rig the anchor much higher on the trees. That way when you approach the edge you are able to keep your rap line taut and are able to avoid shock loading the anchor.

suilenroc

Nov 27, 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #52 of 74 (2310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The anchor is fine for the purpose. The technique was actually pretty slick and well executed.

n00b... Tongue

Goo

Nov 28, 2008, 4:23 AM
Post #53 of 74 (2278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
looserock wrote:
I've seen ropes anchored at the edge before, and I've seen people swing from the side to rap down thier doubled climbing rope. What is the best way to rap over the edge if the rope is tied at or near the edge?

You would want to rig the anchor much higher on the trees. That way when you approach the edge you are able to keep your rap line taut and are able to avoid shock loading the anchor.

or, if that's not possible (ex fixed chaintop anchors or bolts) you can reverse mantle and ease onto the rope, and so avoid shock loading the anchors or flipping upside down... just do it slowly and safely.

shockabuku

Nov 28, 2008, 4:59 AM
Post #54 of 74 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
Its all good...

I wish you would have been able to listen to the video. It seems as though the person that set the rig has done this before (i am still waiting to hear back from him). The person on the rappel was in fact doing it for their first time. That being said, i consider these kids MORON's because of their actions.

Their setup was indeed not the worst... But taking possibly a factor 2 fall on it didn't help.

To put a "friend" in that kind of situation is just plain stupid.

Ever picked up someone's dead body at the bottom of a cliff (i have not)? A good friend of mine has to respond to the many incidents that occur in this area, i have heard the stories.

Like i said, this hit close to home.. Anyways, maybe the word MORON may seem a bit strong for you. I find it to be quite fitting.

I do not behave in this manor and never have when it comes to my buddies lives as well as my own.

Cheers and safe climbing to you...

You know, there's a difference between being stupid and being ignorant. People don't know what they don't know.

By the way, the word "MORON's" above should not have an apostrophe. Now what should we call you?

patmay81

Nov 28, 2008, 5:05 AM
Post #55 of 74 (2269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Goo] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Goo wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
looserock wrote:

or, if that's not possible (ex fixed chaintop anchors or bolts) you can reverse mantle and ease onto the rope, and so avoid shock loading the anchors or flipping upside down... just do it slowly and safely.

you probably dont want the anchor "higher in the trees", as it will slip, damage the trees, be to far from the edge, etc. I've done raps very similar to this over steep overhangs (but on better anchors).
I'm going to reference one of dingus' post in this thread "where would climbing be without the idiots like this" (or something to that effect).
Heck, if webbing, biners and ropes couldn't handle the abuse of a 6' fall, i think i'd give up climbing!
Sumary: imo nbd

jollymon

Nov 28, 2008, 6:41 AM
Post #56 of 74 (2254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is IT! I am giving up climbing to become a full time grammar nazi and rappelling BADASS! I could OWN this thread then. Tongue

Okay...seriously I do not see anything wrong with this...but then again I am the kinda guy who likes to google accidents rappelling whippers ect ect and JUST GO AHEAD AND TELL ME YOU DO NOT ALSO. That's what I thought. No one is an Angelic. Unsafe? sure. Worst thing ever? nope. SOMEONE has to keep my google searches entertaining.

In a separate note, I move we all write our usernames on our shirts and bring video cameras whenever we are about to do something stupid. It would be much more entertaining that way to say "hey did ya see dingus pendulum into that slab" or "wow, jollymon really owned that rappel. To bad hes such a grammar nazi dick"

-Jolly

Guran

Nov 28, 2008, 8:28 AM
Post #57 of 74 (2245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Goo] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Goo wrote:

No no no.

Remember "Speed is safety" Pirate

ski.ninja

Nov 28, 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #58 of 74 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Guran] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guran wrote:
No no no.

Remember "Speed is safety" Pirate

According to the theory of relativity, you're absolutely correct. If this setup were traveling at close to the speed of light then there's no way it could fail!

P.S.
Check out this moron.
http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

(This post was edited by ski.ninja on Nov 28, 2008, 10:27 AM)

jmvc

Nov 28, 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #59 of 74 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ski.ninja] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You lot don't know how to find proper morons..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fenWzUBndo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRXf1tWbtc0

jmvc

Nov 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #60 of 74 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmvc] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Having said that I agree with Dingus's point of view. I taught myself how to abseil, and I don't doubt that it would have made amusing footage.

dingus

Nov 28, 2008, 1:05 PM
Post #61 of 74 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently a lot of folks 'get' what I was after.

Even olderic gets it but his bitterness torwards me prevents him from acknowledging it.

DMT

king_rat

Nov 28, 2008, 1:10 PM
Post #62 of 74 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just read through this thread, the abseil was stupid yes, badly set up yes. but fuck I’ve done some pretty stupid things in my time to.

apeman_e

Nov 28, 2008, 1:24 PM
Post #63 of 74 (2216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [king_rat] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously, I have both done and seen way dumber shit that that. I give props to the kid, though, he certainly sacked up for his first rappel.

First time I climbed, we used 1 sling tied in the american triangle of death on the bolted anchor. Stupid- yes. But it sparked my desire to climb and learn- thank god I survived.

Good post topic- dumbest thing you've ever done rock climbing.

jmvc video links are hysterical, especially the second one. I wish I was dumb enough to recreated it...

e

olderic

Nov 28, 2008, 3:07 PM
Post #64 of 74 (2206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:

Even olderic gets it but his bitterness torwards me prevents him from acknowledging it.

DMT

Not bitter at all. I don't know you at all outside of your Internet persona. How accurate is that? It would appear that we have somewhat similar backgrounds and experiences. I am in awe of the shear volume of verbage you are able to post. I guess if I have any criticism that come across as caustic its that I find a lot of your postings to be a bit cliche-ed. All the profound insights, the anecdotes where you are a lovable buffoon or justice prevails, or the heartwarming scenarios seem more like a Disney movie. Of course a Disney movie would typically represent a higher literary effort then 99% of the postings on these sites and you certainly have many fans - myself among them.

knieveltech

Nov 28, 2008, 3:32 PM
Post #65 of 74 (2201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
dingus wrote:
I have more in common with that kid then I do the overly careful, thrice-trained, 12-times read carefulniks that are pretty much the opposite of that kid.

What he did was stupid. What he did was bold. They are not mutually exclusive and some amazing climbs have been done once started out of. um, stupidity.

Revel in that bloke's madness, for you are staring at the heart and souil of climbing. Madness.

Climbing IS NOT SAFE.

DMT

Any one who doesn't agree with that statement (which is one of Dingus's better ones - although it basically the same thing he has said hundreds of times on dozens of forums)
is not a climber and will never get it.

Thankfully your definition of "climber" bears no more relevance than anyone else's.

suilenroc

Nov 28, 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #66 of 74 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

'get' or are just kissing ass...Tongue

vize

Apr 18, 2009, 6:46 AM
Post #67 of 74 (2029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was me featured in both of those youtube videos. It's taken me a long time to respond because I really just haven't read any of my messages on youtube in response to the video until the random night of tonight. I've read through the entire thread and I'd have to confirm a couple of things. Yes, it was obviously my first time rappelling off of a cliff. The first video was my very, very first time. The second video that looks sideways, was my second time ever during that same day, and was also when I injured my hand. If you see in that video, when i hit the rock was when I created a pretty significant lifelong scar on the back part of my hand. You'd also see in that video, at that point, I couldn't really continue rappelling cuz my hand was stuck to the rock and the rope was caught! I remember thinking, at the time when I hit the rock, that pain would be felt eventually but I just had too much adrenaline pumping to feel it then. I was just happy to know that I had not fallen to my death. Later in the day my friend told me I went into a mild shock because he was asking me questions when I landed and I was not responding. I don't even remember him asking me questions. Both times that I rappelled I was under the impression that my friend knew exactly what he was doing. It's only after I read these posts tonight that I realize I could be dead right now? Well, yeah, it took guts to jump off the cliff like I did but I thought it was normal! I'd also like to add in, after I received the nice little scar on my hand I have not rock climbed again. It's a shame too, because I loved it my first time climbing outdoors. Too bad it was the first time that I had to use my whole t-shirt as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. As weird as it may sound, I'd still like to climb again. Any help/ideas/comments would be appreciated.

sbaclimber

Apr 18, 2009, 8:22 AM
Post #68 of 74 (2014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vize] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vize wrote:
As weird as it may sound, I'd still like to climb again. Any help/ideas/comments would be appreciated.
Find a more competent partner, and get to it!

It sounds like you are anything but a moron, and a lifelong scar is hardly a reason to stop doing something you enjoyTongue

Lazlo

Apr 18, 2009, 2:18 PM
Post #69 of 74 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Don't be a MORON RAPPELLER! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
vize wrote:
As weird as it may sound, I'd still like to climb again. Any help/ideas/comments would be appreciated.
Find a more competent partner, and get to it!

It sounds like you are anything but a moron, and a lifelong scar is hardly a reason to stop doing something you enjoyTongue

I couldn't say it better.

shockabuku

Apr 18, 2009, 3:19 PM
Post #70 of 74 (1938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't take it too hard. Find someone qualified to help you learn. Go to a guide service or climbing gym. It'll cost you more but most likely you'll get a reasonably qualified instructor. Good luck, have fun. Also, get yourself a book on climbing and read it. Have some idea of what is reasonable and what isn't and ask questions. In this game you gotta take responsibility for your own safety.

jamincan

Apr 18, 2009, 6:11 PM
Post #71 of 74 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, it takes a lot of guts to do what the guy did; however, I think that you aren't really taking into account the fact that this was the very first time the guy rappelled. Sure, the unknown is scary, but he also trusted his friend and probably figured that what he did was a lot safer than it felt and then it actually was. Was it guts that made him jump down that first time, or misplaced trust? If it is the former, than good for him; if it's the latter, as I suspect it is, than shame on his friend.

MikeSaint

Apr 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #72 of 74 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Whatever [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah they seemed to have fun. I'm sure the drive home was filled with excitement and beers when they got home.

Is it wrong for me not to care about what they did in the video?

shockabuku

Apr 18, 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #73 of 74 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MikeSaint] Whatever [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MikeSaint wrote:
Ah they seemed to have fun. I'm sure the drive home was filled with excitement and beers when they got home.

Is it wrong for me not to care about what they did in the video?

Yes! You are such a bad person!Wink

bill413

Apr 18, 2009, 11:59 PM
Post #74 of 74 (1843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vize, as has been said - look around for a competent mentor/teacher. Outdoor clubs are a good source.

I have a scar from not really understanding what I was doing when I started climbing....I'm sure it's happened to others. When I recovered, I went back to climbing. It's years later, and I still love it.

Rappelling can be fun in its own right, but usually doesn't need the jump starts Smile

Hope you & your friend learn more about it - and hopefully we'll see you at the cliffs.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook