Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Airplanes, Air Travel, and Regulations on Climbing Gear, Such as Chalk, Your Rack, Crash Pads, and Ice Tools
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner epoch

Dec 4, 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #1 of 12 (47406 views)
Shortcut

Airplanes, Air Travel, and Regulations on Climbing Gear, Such as Chalk, Your Rack, Crash Pads, and Ice Tools
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

The topic of flying with gear has come up enough to warrant its own sticky within this forum. We've beat this to death.

All subsequent threads on this topic will be LOCKED.

The United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is the regulatory and enforcing division behind what passengers may or may not bring aboard commercial airplanes in the US. All climbing equipment, with the exception of a few specific items, is allowed to be carried on per TSA regulations. However, please contact your preferred airline to request carry-on size limits.
    Prohibited items...........Carry on ........Checked
    Ice Axes/Ice Picks.........No.................Yes
    Drills and drill bits.. .......No.................Yes
    Ski Poles......................No.................Yes
    Hammers......................No.................Yes

TSA list of Prohibited Items

Since this is a recurring topic I invite you to explore the following threads to see what others have said about traveling with climbing gear. I ask that conversation about your experiences happen in those threads.

For people who live and travel outside the United States, I kindly ask that you please add your government regulations pertaining to climbing equipment and airline travel to this thread and please, please, please provide a source. Sometimes it is good to print out and carry the most current information with you to settle disputes. Ultimately, though, it is up to the inspecting authority's discretion as to what is/is not allowed aboard planes. If the say no, don't argue. However, many people feel better about carrying their equipment with them instead of checking it.

Here are some discussion threads:

This thread is for the posting of United States and international security regulations pertaining to the travel with climbing gear (To include relevant and pertinent updates). Please provide sources (links) to your information. Non-related posts will summarily be recycled.

(This post was
edited by epoch on Mar 18, 2011, 10:21 PM)

tradrenn

Dec 6, 2008, 7:00 PM
Post #2 of 12 (47188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Airplanes, Air Travel, and Regulations on Climbing Gear, Such as Chalk, Your Rack, Crash Pads, and Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Few links for all of you wishing to visit Canada.

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/shouldknow.html
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/...s-faits/060-eng.html
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/...rc4161-eng.html#P002
http://www.vcmbc.com/page.cfm/8762

Enjoy Eh.Cool

rockie

Dec 23, 2008, 7:21 PM
Post #3 of 12 (46825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Airplanes, Air Travel, and Regulations on Climbing Gear, Such as Chalk, Your Rack, Crash Pads, and Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

And here are the U.K regulations:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/...vel/airportsecurity/

http://www.dft.gov.uk/...rticles?page=2#a1004

http://www.caa.co.uk/...e=90&pageid=2323

http://www.direct.gov.uk/...dTransport/index.htm

The latest great news:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...chnical-faults..html

(This post was edited by rockie on Dec 25, 2008, 11:54 AM)

majid_sabet

Jul 25, 2012, 7:09 AM
Post #5 of 12 (37458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As of July 2012 , Flight from USA to Europe, Asia, Middle east with most major Airlines will allow 1 check bag 50 lbs max , second bag ,50 lbs $100, third bag,50 lbs $250.

you can still carry 1 laptop and one hand bag( small day pack etc).

dynosore

Jul 25, 2012, 2:40 PM
Post #6 of 12 (37422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI on a recent flight from the midwest to Denver I wasn't allowed to carry cams on, they made me go back and put them in my checked bag. "could be used as a weapon". I'll stop there since I have nothing nice to say.

Appelkoos

Sep 18, 2012, 1:55 AM
Post #8 of 12 (36853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Airplanes, Air Travel, and Regulations on Climbing Gear, Such as Chalk, Your Rack, Crash Pads, and Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi All,

Old topic, new question not yet covered elsewhere: Drills and Li-ion batteries.

Do airlines allow battery-powered drill as baggage? What about spare batteries? Checked in or carry-on?

I have a Bosch GBH V36Li with 1.3AH and 2.6Ah batteries. My web research so far indicates that Li-Ion batteries are classified as hazardous material ( UN code 3480/3481, class9) and there are restrictions on carrying them on airlines.

As far as I can gather, passengers are permitted one battery <100Wh installed in equipment, checked in or carry-on, plus two extra batteries (total <25g Li = 300Wh) carry-on only. Is this correct?

Background:
1) I live in Singapore, but batteries are half the price in London. If I buy a spare battery in London can I fly back with it?
2) I'm planning on flying to Borneo to open some new routes. Are there any restrictions on taking my drill and batteries with me?

Looking forward to views and facts - particularly those based on experience.

Thanks in advance,

JimTitt

Sep 18, 2012, 6:35 AM
Post #9 of 12 (36827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Appelkoos] Airplanes, Air Travel, and Regulations on Climbing Gear, Such as Chalk, Your Rack, Crash Pads, and Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Appelkoos wrote:
Hi All,

Old topic, new question not yet covered elsewhere: Drills and Li-ion batteries.

Do airlines allow battery-powered drill as baggage? What about spare batteries? Checked in or carry-on?

I have a Bosch GBH V36Li with 1.3AH and 2.6Ah batteries. My web research so far indicates that Li-Ion batteries are classified as hazardous material ( UN code 3480/3481, class9) and there are restrictions on carrying them on airlines.

As far as I can gather, passengers are permitted one battery <100Wh installed in equipment, checked in or carry-on, plus two extra batteries (total <25g Li = 300Wh) carry-on only. Is this correct?

Background:
1) I live in Singapore, but batteries are half the price in London. If I buy a spare battery in London can I fly back with it?
2) I'm planning on flying to Borneo to open some new routes. Are there any restrictions on taking my drill and batteries with me?

Looking forward to views and facts - particularly those based on experience.

Thanks in advance,

You are correct, carrying Li-ions is a problem. You must pack them as described in the IATA Regulations (http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dangerous_goods/Documents/Guidance-Document-on-the-Transport-of-Li-Batt-2012-V1.1.pdf). This is after the loss of a UPS 747 and crew due to a hold fire caused by a short-circuit in a load of laptop batteries.
You must declare them as hand luggage and have them inspected.
A climber from Germany had his drill (Hilti) removed from his hold luggage at Stuttgart airport and destroyed for this reason, he tried to recover the cost of the drill and was told he was lucky he wasnīt being charged for the cost of handling and destruction of hazardous goods!
We donīt have any problems with NiCads and NiMhs which several of our drills are and the Li-ions I send to my destination by parcel service/post.

Ruairidh

Jan 14, 2014, 5:50 PM
Post #10 of 12 (32529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flew from Berlin Germany to Beijing China

i had a screwgate krab and belay in hand lugggage
Screwgate was taken away and destroyed

no matter how much i protested and callled them silly
i wasnt going to use the it as a knuckle duster like the airport staff were suggesting.

satch

Jan 14, 2014, 7:03 PM
Post #11 of 12 (32511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ruairidh] Airplanes, Air Travel, and Regulations on Climbing Gear, Such as Chalk, Your Rack, Crash Pads, and Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, they took our rope at the airport in Zurich - said it could be used to choke someone. Then they took all our new quickdraws at the airport in Paris - said they could be used as brass knuckles. In Italy, they got a snoot full sniffing my chalk bag.

Security personnel in other countries are making out like bandits. They are contractors and each group has their own rules. My advice is to check all gear you think they might want.

marc801

Jan 14, 2014, 11:02 PM
Post #12 of 12 (32474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [satch] Airplanes, Air Travel, and Regulations on Climbing Gear, Such as Chalk, Your Rack, Crash Pads, and Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

satch wrote:
Then they took all our new quickdraws at the airport in Paris - said they could be used as brass knuckles.
That sucks. Hate to say it, but Paris is notorious for confiscating any kind of biner.

Unless you know for certain, it's probably best to assume that any kind of climbing gear will at minimum raise a red flag for a security inspector. Although there's the risk of your checked bags not making it, for international travel at least, it's still probably better to check your hard gear and any cord-like soft gear in luggage than to carry it on.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook