RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

QSNelson

Dec 11, 2008, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 6 (4621 views)
Shortcut

Problem hanging hang board, door jam issues
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure ive seen the solution to my question posted before but I am unable to find it using the search feature so if you see it please post the link.

The problem is I have low ceilings and I am trying to mount the hangboard above the doorjam on the inside of a closet. The space Im working with is roughly 40x8 1/4x 1/2. The hangboard in question is the Metolius Simulator which is 30x8. To make the area flush I need to have the wooden board im mounting the hangboard to be 1/2 thick which should make it even with the door jam. My issue now is that if I mount it like that when ever I pull up to 90degrees I will be smacking my head on the roof. If i just mount the board lower on the ply wood board the third mounting hole for the hangboard will be over the doorjam. Any ideas how I can mount the board lower? Im not worried about it looking good since its on the inside of a closet.

rockforlife

Dec 11, 2008, 4:08 AM
Post #2 of 6 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [QSNelson] Problem hanging hang board, door jam issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First i would say, maybe you don't need the third set?? if you do you could use another board haning down off the first, and hang the board of that? just my 2 cents.

rhythm164

Dec 11, 2008, 4:24 AM
Post #3 of 6 (4580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you might be able to mount the board above the doorjam and the mount the hangboard to the doorjam and plywood (ie- make the plywood flush w/ the doorjam) that might work

QSNelson

Dec 11, 2008, 4:28 AM
Post #4 of 6 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] Problem hanging hang board, door jam issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well its kind of tricky but i think ive figgured out something. For one I dont have the normal jack studs above my closet door i have a header which seems to be hanging above it and tied into full studs. So I figure I get a piece of plywood thats as wide as the whole top of the closet(58") and screw that into the header. it will be 58x8 1/4x1/2 that will make it flush with the door jams and give me a fresh flat surface to work with. I then scew another piece of ply wood that is 35x11xwhatever into the first piece then i screw the hangboard into the second piece. That seems like it will allow me to do a pull up to just over 90degrees with still a little room to spare. What do ya think?

chossmonkey

Dec 12, 2008, 6:53 PM
Post #5 of 6 (4486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

QSNelson wrote:
What do ya think?
Sounds like a good plan.

altelis

Dec 12, 2008, 7:06 PM
Post #6 of 6 (4475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is what i've done, and its allowed me to move my hangboard from new place to new place w/o ever having to put holes in the walls.

i mounted the hangboard to plywood, per usual. then i took another piece of plywood and put it on the OTHER side of the door (this will be a "backer" piece). i then bought two BIG, heavy duty c-clamps and used these to clamp to the two pieces of plywood tight onto the wall. never had ANY problems. ever. the back piece of plywood just needs to be big enough to cover the back wall where the clamps go and helps to dissipate the pressure from the small surface area of the clamp head throughout the entire width/height of the backer board.

only caveat is you can't close the door very well, so be careful which door you use. this actually works best in "entrance" type doorways with an actual door. if you are anal you can paint the backer board to somewhat match the wall- but hey, that clamp ain't exactly subtle.....

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook