Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

amigo25zmy

Dec 14, 2008, 3:04 AM
Post #1 of 84 (5576 views)
Shortcut

How good how soon??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey. I'm a complete friggin retarded noob. Just thought I'd get that out of the way before everyone else says it.Tongue Ok, I wanna know how fast other climbers progressed. I have been climbing 3 months and comfortably do V3 and 5.8 and can push through some 5.9 and V4. How am I progressing compared to others? I'm in decent shape too, so that isn't really a factor. Oh I'm 17 if that makes a difference.

(This post was edited by amigo25zmy on Dec 14, 2008, 3:05 AM)

currupt4130

Dec 14, 2008, 3:11 AM
Post #2 of 84 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amigo25zmy] How good how soon?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amigo25zmy wrote:
Hey. I'm a complete friggin retarded noob. Just thought I'd get that out of the way before everyone else says it.Tongue Ok, I wanna know how fast other climbers progressed. I have been climbing 3 months and comfortably do V3 and 5.8 and can push through some 5.9 and V4. How am I progressing compared to others? I'm in decent shape too, so that isn't really a factor. Oh I'm 17 if that makes a difference.

Do yourself a favor and get over grades... I boulder like V2 and climb high 10's low 11's. Have fun and forget the grades man. BTW, are you talking gym grades?

amigo25zmy

Dec 14, 2008, 3:16 AM
Post #3 of 84 (5562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] How good how soon?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeh gym. I want a little more strength/technique before I go outside. I don't worry about grades when climbing. Just that I climb with my bro (almost same age) and we kinda compete to see who's better. Tongue Just want to know where I'll be in a couple of months and if I am not progressing I might need to change or work more on technique.

Shoulda known better than to get a straight answer too LOLCrazy

suilenroc

Dec 14, 2008, 3:23 AM
Post #4 of 84 (5556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amigo25zmy wrote:

I've had fun, from my first route to my most recent... Smile I'm not very good with math, can you explain how math(i.e. 5.8, 5.9 wtf is that about?) and climbing go together?

amigo25zmy

Dec 14, 2008, 3:26 AM
Post #5 of 84 (5551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] How good how soon?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
amigo25zmy wrote:

I've had fun, from my first route to my most recent... Smile I'm not very good with math, can you explain how math(i.e. 5.8, 5.9 wtf is that about?) and climbing go together?

I wonder how many people post before I get an answer. I'm betting around 10 before I get a half-assed answer then 20 before I get a decent answer.Laugh

Oh and the 5.8 is a climbers IQ after his first fall. 5.9 was before. Thats wat the numbers tell u.Tongue

greatgarbanzo

Dec 14, 2008, 3:34 AM
Post #6 of 84 (5541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

12 years climbing 12a/V5

I actually started doing 5.4s and 5.5s

amigo25zmy

Dec 14, 2008, 3:40 AM
Post #7 of 84 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greatgarbanzo] How good how soon?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

greatgarbanzo wrote:
12 years climbing 12a/V5

There's the half-assed answer. In 12 years I'll know how I'm doing. LOLSmile

Valarc

Dec 14, 2008, 3:41 AM
Post #8 of 84 (5531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amigo25zmy wrote:
I wonder how many people post before I get an answer. I'm betting around 10 before I get a half-assed answer then 20 before I get a decent answer.Laugh

There's no such thing as a decent answer. You want to know how far you progressed, and all you have to judge is gym grades. Gym grades are absolutely fucking worthless. If you can climb 5.9, you can't climb V4. And more accurately, you probably can't climb 5.9 at all, because you're basing your "skill" on gym climbing. One gym's V3 is another's V0 - the grades are utterly useless.

It's like going on a financial forum, saying you're earning $500 in Monopoly money a day, and asking if you're a success.

amigo25zmy

Dec 14, 2008, 3:53 AM
Post #9 of 84 (5523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] How good how soon?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
amigo25zmy wrote:

There's no such thing as a decent answer. You want to know how far you progressed, and all you have to judge is gym grades. Gym grades are absolutely fucking worthless. If you can climb 5.9, you can't climb V4. And more accurately, you probably can't climb 5.9 at all, because you're basing your "skill" on gym climbing. One gym's V3 is another's V0 - the grades are utterly useless.

It's like going on a financial forum, saying you're earning $500 in Monopoly money a day, and asking if you're a success.

Great I just got a decent answer that said there is no decent answer.Tongue How screwed up is that!? Oh well, I'll just keep climbing, which i woulda done anyway, and compare to ppl there. Thanks for....uh....umm....just thanks.Wink

coolcat83

Dec 14, 2008, 4:10 AM
Post #10 of 84 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing for a little over 6 years, and currently climb 5.9, v1-2ish in the gym but i don't boulder really(used to be better when i was climbing twice a week and actually training plus 15pounds lighter). in the beginning i weighed about 35pounds more and so my progress was slow but enjoyable, maybe up to on sighting 5.7 in a few months, then took a break, got up to the 5.8-9 range and plateaued there for years while climbing when i could which was in the gym mostly once or twice a week. now just don't have the time to put into it with school and things, but guess what, I have FUN, don't worry about grades, go at the pace you want, don't push it too much you have to give your body time to adapt, set goals and train for them. I enjoy climbing outdoors the most, and there I like pushing myself, but most of the time 5.4 can be as enjoyable as 5.8, it's the whole experience. next summer i'll be out of school and hope to really get in shape, as you say your in decent shape, but it's also forearm endurance, open hand has really helped me develop in the past, down climb as much as you can too. i don't consider myself a noob and to some i suppose my climbing grades suck, but to me that's just fine. i'm happy to rope up on some moderates any day.

(This post was edited by coolcat83 on Dec 14, 2008, 4:11 AM)

clc

Dec 14, 2008, 4:28 AM
Post #11 of 84 (5493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] How good how soon?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know a kid that's your age and has been climbing for less than 2 years in a gym and just started outside this summer. A few months ago he lead a 13+ on steep juggy limestone. He flails on 5.10 face though.

Climbing high numbers is a very small part of the climbing experience and doesn't mean your a ""good "climber.
Or if your like me, I've been climbing as long as you have been alive and never done a 13.
grades are very relative to the type of climbing , and gym climbing isn't really relative to any type of climbing.

Hennessey

Dec 14, 2008, 5:21 AM
Post #12 of 84 (5465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gym grades don't mean shit. Judging by any climbing grade conversion chart if your bouldering v4 then you should posses the the skill to be climbing in the 5.11c-5.12a range. I know it's only a chart but if you can boulder v4 than you should be climbing alot harder than 5.8.

curt

Dec 14, 2008, 5:28 AM
Post #13 of 84 (5458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amigo25zmy wrote:
greatgarbanzo wrote:
12 years climbing 12a/V5

There's the half-assed answer. In 12 years I'll know how I'm doing. LOLSmile

I doubt you'll live that long. Oh, and it sounds like you're pretty weak to me. However, if you want to carry my shoes and chalk bag around my local crag for me, I'll give you some climbing lessons.

Curt

Hennessey

Dec 14, 2008, 5:38 AM
Post #14 of 84 (5452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you just keep replying to yourself because you like to hear yourself rant about nothing. And of course add a couple faces to everything you say.SmileWinkFrownTongueCoolBlushAngelicCrazyMadShockedLaughUnsureUnimpressedSlyPirate

suilenroc

Dec 14, 2008, 7:30 AM
Post #15 of 84 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hennessey] How good how soon?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hennessey wrote:
I think you just keep replying to yourself because you like to hear yourself rant about nothing. And of course add a couple faces to everything you say.SmileWinkFrownTongueCoolBlushAngelicCrazyMadShockedLaughUnsureUnimpressedSlyPirate

so true =)

Senate156

Dec 14, 2008, 9:11 AM
Post #16 of 84 (5393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just as everyone else has been saying, forget the grades. At least when you are just beginning/ are climbing below the 5.12 level. The most important thing is that you have fun and that's it.

A lot of the grading is relative...I usually climb 5.11, but there are some 5.9s that I get shut down on...factor in certain features...crack systems (i.e. trad.) /multi-pitch, etc. and my level goes down drastically.

It is nice to have a couple projects going, but don't get too stuck up on them. ...Unless failing over and over at or around the same move is your idea of fun.

But anyways back to your question. 5.8 after 3months is pretty standard for athletic individuals your age in my opinion. Bouldering at V3 is pretty darn good if the ratings are legit and you can only manage 5.8 routes.

But again, concentrate on the movement for the most part now and forget about the ratings. It's much better for you climb a 5.7- (or lower) while concentrating on each and every specific move than it is to muscle your way up a 5.8 (or higher) with poor style (feet smashing against the wall, multiple hand position changes, pull-ups, etc.). ...the same logic applies to bouldering.

If I were you, I would heavily suggest buying "A self-coached climber" the book is basically the bible for anyone (5.7 to 5.12+) who is trying to improve their climbing skills and the grades they climb.

keep on climbing man!

brownie710

Dec 14, 2008, 5:18 PM
Post #17 of 84 (5307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amigo25zmy wrote:
How am I progressing compared to others? .

who fucking cares, when you no longer care then you dont' need to be self-effacing and call yourself a N00b. have fun

churningindawake

Dec 14, 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #18 of 84 (5302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been climbing 3 years. Climb 5.13B/ Boulder V8.

14 years old.

Maddhatter

Dec 14, 2008, 5:41 PM
Post #19 of 84 (5288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amigo25zmy wrote:

If you are talking trad climbing thats not to bad really. 5.10 is the line that stops most noobs and makes them have to step up there game to get better. Just remember to have fun and be safe. Unless your wanting to climb for a living numbers don't mean shit anyway. I would say you are about where you should be for 3 months. You should be able to get into the low 10's pretty easy if you learn to keep your weight on your legs and your hips in close to the wall. After that its all about how bad you want it and how hard you work at it.

In the real word you will find that a lot of times 10.a or 10.b is easier then 5.9 if it's just awkward or offwith they tend to call it a 9 where as most low 10's are pretty much point and shoot.

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Dec 14, 2008, 5:48 PM)

amigo25zmy

Dec 14, 2008, 6:14 PM
Post #20 of 84 (5260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] How good how soon?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK. Basically what I learned from your responses. Tell me if I missed anything important. Climb for fun, not for numbers. Set goals for yourself and give myself time to adjust. OK thanks for the help.

And yes I do like faces.SmileWinkFrownTongueCoolBlushAngelicCrazyMadShockedLaughUnsureUnimpressedSlyPirate

churningindawake

Dec 14, 2008, 8:33 PM
Post #21 of 84 (5234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amigo25zmy wrote:
OK. Basically what I learned from your responses. Tell me if I missed anything important. Climb for fun, not for numbers. Set goals for yourself and give myself time to adjust. OK thanks for the help.

And yes I do like faces.SmileWinkFrownTongueCoolBlushAngelicCrazyMadShockedLaughUnsureUnimpressedSlyPirate
Exactly!

granite_grrl

Dec 14, 2008, 8:34 PM
Post #22 of 84 (5233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are climbing V3 and 5.9 then it says to me that you are strong and have zero technique. Serious answer: You'll probobly get to easier 5.10s fairly quickly from here. Then you'll stall out and be stuck at that grade for at least a couple of years. I then predict that you'll get angry and frustrated and quit climbing before you get that time in.

kane_schutzman

Dec 15, 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #23 of 84 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amigo25zmy wrote:

Hey Sanchez take your retarded amigo noob ass outside and start doing some real climbing other wise your never going to amount to anything. Thats my advice. Whats with all this needing technique to climb on real stone I climbed outside for a year before I ever say a plastic hold. As far as grade you get an F

Lazlo

Dec 15, 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #24 of 84 (5162 views)
Shortcut

Spraying Thread!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing two years.

I onsight 5.10d

My highest grade climbed is 11c (several of them... and on lead)

I aid C2+

SmileWinkSly

amigo25zmy

Dec 15, 2008, 2:58 AM
Post #25 of 84 (5123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] How good how soon?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kane_schutzman wrote:
amigo25zmy wrote:

Hey Sanchez take your retarded amigo noob ass outside and start doing some real climbing other wise your never going to amount to anything. Thats my advice. Whats with all this needing technique to climb on real stone I climbed outside for a year before I ever say a plastic hold. As far as grade you get an F

A couple things to tell you.
1-I'm not mexican, hispanic, and don't even speak spanish, I just chose that name. Get over it.

2- Its winter or I'd be outside already.

3- Its Delaware that means we have next to no climbing. Just a few boulders in northern. Otherwise to climb its about a 1-2 hr drive out-of-state which is fine, but its still winter.

4. Gym climbing must help some and its definitely better than not climbing at all. And while I want some technique its not stopping me from going outside when its summer. Now if you would prefer, I can sit home all day and not climb or get any experience at all, then I can climb when its summer and hibernate again next winter. OR I can climb inside and get better until its warm enough to go outside.

Personally I choose to climb whats available and if that means going inside then I'll do it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook