RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Psychovertical

Dec 8, 2008, 4:40 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1187 views)
Shortcut

La Sportiva Batura vs Nepal Extremes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The new Baturas are warmer and lighter than the Nepal Extremes but are they as good on technical rock and ice? Which one would you go for for winter alpine and ice climbing in the Alps and the Canadian Rockies? Any views appreciated.

superbum

Dec 16, 2008, 3:44 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Psychovertical] La Sportiva Batura vs Nepal Extremes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes! I need this same info...and any other advice choosing between the pair. I am wondering about the possible durability issues w/ the scholler outer and the zipper on the Batura...

mattiem

Dec 16, 2008, 7:21 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] La Sportiva Batura vs Nepal Extremes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Baturas and am very pleased with them. I have used them mostly for technical ice up to WI5, but i have put in some long days winter hiking on them as well.

On ice they are tactile and the hell grip and ankle cuff are great. My feet feel good in them and i feel confident on ice in them more so then with my plastic double boots.

They are not as warm as i would like all the time. I think that around 5F-10F I start to get a little nippy in the toes, but i felt the same way about the Nepal extremes.

I was also worried about the zipper, but it is super beefy and has never gotten and the tiniest bit snagged on me.

The built in scholer cuff has worked very well. I don't use gaiters anymore except in the deepest powdery snow. conditions.

I have caught my crampon in the scholler and it did get a small tear maybe 1 inch long but i patched it up with some seam seal good as new.

These are def some awesome boots you should not be afraid to purchase them for technical rock and ice.

I def like the baturas better then the Nepal Extremes overall.

Give me a shout if there are any more questions

matt

superbum

Dec 16, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattiem] La Sportiva Batura vs Nepal Extremes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks! I prob will get them...it just seems whenever I try something "new" and "fancy" i wish I would have purchased the tried and true....

I know either boot is great but I found a good deal on the batura so...

How true to size do they feel? I've read they seem about a half size larger than they are marked? I have the La Sportiva trango evo gtx in a 44.5

mattiem

Dec 16, 2008, 8:36 PM
Post #5 of 5 (999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] La Sportiva Batura vs Nepal Extremes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear what was labeled a US 10.5 in both the Nepal Extremes and the Baturas. They felt true to my normal La Sportiva size. I don't know what that equates to in Euro sizes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook