RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

nilcarborundum

Dec 17, 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Twin Falls, ID ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know how the ice is looking in the canyon? Has this cold snap made anything climbable? We're looking to head over Saturday, but we're having a hell of a time finding anyone who climbs ice in the area to let us know if its worthwhile.

geogoddess

Jan 5, 2009, 4:07 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilcarborundum] Twin Falls, ID ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go, send a note down.

It would be worth a stop in on my way up thru in early Feb. I have two days to kill in-between a nordic skate-ski event in Sun Valley, a talk I have to give in Pocatello, and a workshop in Missoula over Presidents Day. Sty and I used to ogle over a photo we had of that wall of ice curtains. I'd love to check it out.

nilcarborundum

Jan 7, 2009, 7:29 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] Twin Falls, ID ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:

It would be worth a stop in on my way up thru in early Feb. I have two days to kill in-between a nordic skate-ski event in Sun Valley, a talk I have to give in Pocatello, and a workshop in Missoula over Presidents Day. Sty and I used to ogle over a photo we had of that wall of ice curtains. I'd love to check it out.

On Dec. 20, some ice was good, some was rotten, and some pretty large sections were detached from the rock. On Dec. 27, everything was great; plastic and without the fear of a 20' dagger landing on your head. Twin relies heavily on cold, not snow, to get ice, so it comes and goes pretty often. Its supposed to be in the 40s next week, so I imagine it will be gone until the next cold snap.

Let me know when you'll be in Poky and we can get together for a beer.

geogoddess

Jan 7, 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilcarborundum] Twin Falls, ID ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nilcarborundum wrote:
geogoddess wrote:

On Dec. 20, some ice was good, some was rotten, and some pretty large sections were detached from the rock. On Dec. 27, everything was great; plastic and without the fear of a 20' dagger landing on your head. Twin relies heavily on cold, not snow, to get ice, so it comes and goes pretty often. Its supposed to be in the 40s next week, so I imagine it will be gone until the next cold snap.

[image]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6329/dsc01084oj4.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8898/dsc01083xi3.jpg[/image]

Let me know when you'll be in Poky and we can get together for a beer.

thanks! for the photos, and the beer offer.

I just realized I have a schedule conflict w/ the talk in Pokey - Missoula trip- I am supposed to be giving a talk down here in Utah on the 14th. So I am going to have to work something out. My technical popularity clearly demand the services of a full-time social event coordinator.....

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook