RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

nswelton

Dec 18, 2008, 4:12 PM
Post #1 of 4 (566 views)
Shortcut

mad rock alpine boots??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone using the mad rocks for waterfall ice? i'm just starting out in winter climbing and am a rock climber at heart but would like to get some cheap all purpose boots that i can use on waterfall ice. will these work well?

(This post was edited by nswelton on Dec 18, 2008, 4:13 PM)

coastal_climber

Dec 18, 2008, 4:42 PM
Post #2 of 4 (547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nswelton] mad rock alpine boots?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Best idea would be try on boots and get some that fit well, since that is top priority. You aren't going to care how much they cost you when your on day 4 of 6 in the mountains.

>Cam

jp_sucks

Dec 18, 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #3 of 4 (543 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely agree that fit is the most important, spend the money on something that you're feet will be happy in.

Having said that, if the mad rock alpine boots do fit you, they're great for waterfall ice and perform as well as the other brands that cost twice as much.

justinboening

Dec 25, 2008, 6:25 PM
Post #4 of 4 (423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience, the Madrock boots are clunky, not terribly warm, very stiff in the ankle, which really inhibits french technique and approach comfort, and too flimsy in the tongue. Madrock rock shoes are fine; they work. But this sacrifice can, again in my opinion, require loads of pain. Since they are so unforgiving, if they don't fit well, they will destroy your feel more than most. Think of them this way: they are a single package plastic boots, which is to say an amalgamation of the worst attributes of both plastic and leather mountaineering boots (a dichotomy that seems to have largely evaporated with the addition of sophisticated expedition alternatives and the fall of Koflach). Find a used pair of plastic boots if you're on a budget. At least with that purchase you'll be able to upgrade your boots with nice Intuition liners if you chose to continue with winter climbing. Hope that helps

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook