Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lazlo

Dec 21, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #1 of 35 (8647 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to A1 Kentucky?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This route (Welcome to 'ol Kentucky 5.13a) was originally an aid route called "Nazi Bitch Crack" (5.8 A1) by Cliff Hooper. The First Free Accent went to Steve Petro.

Here's a monkey wrench to throw in the RC.com gears: Would it still be acceptable to nail this route? That's how it was originally intended...

Maddhatter

Dec 21, 2008, 6:57 PM
Post #2 of 35 (8631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
This route (Welcome to 'ol Kentucky 5.13a) was originally an aid route called "Nazi Bitch Crack" (5.8 A1) by Cliff Hooper. The First Free Accent went to Steve Petro.

Here's a monkey wrench to throw in the RC.com gears: Would it still be acceptable to nail this route? That's how it was originally intended...

No. The free accent trumps the aid one.

shoo

Dec 21, 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #3 of 35 (8611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:

Good thing it's up to the FA and not RC.com.

Maddhatter

Dec 21, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #4 of 35 (8599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Good thing it's up to the FA and not RC.com.

Clean aid? Well then it doesn't really matter.
Beating iron into sweet free lines is ass-a-9 at best.
There are many more unclimbable things left to be nailed up. Then people will free them and the beat goes on. To just beat iron into a line until it becomes unnailable is just stupid. In this case it's sand stone in other places with harder rock types it could be different.

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Dec 21, 2008, 8:16 PM)

sungam

Dec 21, 2008, 8:45 PM
Post #5 of 35 (8558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually it's probably up to the 100+ chaps at miguel's that will beat your ass for nailing soft sandstone, but hey - whatever floats your boat.
I saw a pikter of that route and wanted to go climb it, till I found out the grade. Unsure

Lazlo

Dec 21, 2008, 8:49 PM
Post #6 of 35 (8555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Actually it's probably up to the 100+ chaps at miguel's that will beat your ass for nailing soft sandstone, but hey - whatever floats your boat.
I saw a pikter of that route and wanted to go climb it, till I found out the grade. Unsure

I could just imagine some green noob with a bunch of Pappy's ol pitons and snap links nailing up 'Kentucky'.........with a mob waiting for him at the bottom. Bad day.

Maddhatter

Dec 21, 2008, 9:03 PM
Post #7 of 35 (8537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

There are still good lines to be nailed at the RRG.
I'm not saying never nail, soft sand stone or not.
The fishers are softer then the Red and have many lines that have to be nailed to be done. I'm cool with that.
It's more a case by case thing.

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Dec 21, 2008, 9:05 PM)

kyleshea

Dec 21, 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #8 of 35 (8505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

does a kentucky accent trump others?

Maddhatter

Dec 21, 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #9 of 35 (8494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyleshea] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kyleshea wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

does a kentucky accent trump others?

YesWink

tradrenn

Jan 7, 2009, 9:32 PM
Post #10 of 35 (8299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:

Was it intended ?
or
Was it aid because there was no one back then to free it ?

IMHO no it wouldn't be OK to hammer it, but I think it would be OK to do any route that goes hammerless such as Cobra Crack in Squamish that goes at C2.

altelis

Jan 8, 2009, 3:10 AM
Post #11 of 35 (8225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

so by this logic, if i am able to free it, i can go rap-bolt Wings o steel?

or any other hard run-out hook fest on the captain?

as long as i am able to free it then i don't need to do anything but go in and rap-bolt the shit out of it claiming a free ascent trumps an aid ascent?

really?

Lazlo

Jan 8, 2009, 4:21 AM
Post #12 of 35 (8195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

as long as i am able to free it then i don't need to do anything but go in and rap-bolt the shit out of it claiming a free ascent trumps an aid ascent?

really?

This is going to turn out well. [/sarcasm]

altelis

Jan 8, 2009, 4:29 AM
Post #13 of 35 (8190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to be fair, and cause i don't have the energy to get caught up in this, my opinion on the matter is NOT cut and dry like my post makes it seem

i am just trying to point out the other perspective-madhatter put out a pretty bold and unnuanced view that, to me, seems to ignore a LOT of history and a lot of current climbing

i think that a lot of climbers see things on a scale of worse-to-better. like grades, and many see styles that way, at least where aid is concerned. aid climbing is often seen as that cute little thing of our sports past with no current place at the table.

i fully understand the argument that, all things being equal, there are reasons to look forward to those that will come behind us and take that into consideration before altering the rock permanently (be that with a bolt, drilled bat-hole, or pitons).

but there is also something to be said about the person, in the moment, doing their own FA how they see fit.

its complicated. surprised? there's room for debate. scared? its just sad to see people look down at other endeavors within their sport. my comment was NOT about this climb in particular nor was it about free vs aid, etc. just about not shitting all over an entire aspect of the sport with a few quick clicks of the fingers on the keyboard....

Lazlo

Jan 8, 2009, 4:43 AM
Post #14 of 35 (8180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
to be fair, and cause i don't have the energy to get caught up in this, my opinion on the matter is NOT cut and dry like my post makes it seem

i am just trying to point out the other perspective-madhatter put out a pretty bold and unnuanced view that, to me, seems to ignore a LOT of history and a lot of current climbing

i think that a lot of climbers see things on a scale of worse-to-better. like grades, and many see styles that way, at least where aid is concerned. aid climbing is often seen as that cute little thing of our sports past with no current place at the table.

i fully understand the argument that, all things being equal, there are reasons to look forward to those that will come behind us and take that into consideration before altering the rock permanently (be that with a bolt, drilled bat-hole, or pitons).

but there is also something to be said about the person, in the moment, doing their own FA how they see fit.

its complicated. surprised? there's room for debate. scared? its just sad to see people look down at other endeavors within their sport. my comment was NOT about this climb in particular nor was it about free vs aid, etc. just about not shitting all over an entire aspect of the sport with a few quick clicks of the fingers on the keyboard....

Well said.

tradrenn

Jan 8, 2009, 9:49 AM
Post #15 of 35 (8132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

really?

Dude, this sucks, it has to be ground up, preferably on gear since aid is gear or at least bolted on lead, JT style.

rat-baby

Jan 8, 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #16 of 35 (8125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your going to nail a hands to fingers crack because it's called A1 by some retard from the land of sport climbing who does not know the difference between an A and C, then your just as dumb. Clean aid is always the preferred method.

altelis

Jan 8, 2009, 1:34 PM
Post #17 of 35 (8105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rat-baby] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rat-baby wrote:
If your going to nail a hands to fingers crack because it's called A1 by some retard from the land of sport climbing who does not know the difference between an A and C, then your just as dumb. Clean aid is always the preferred method.

really? always?

Lazlo

Jan 8, 2009, 1:40 PM
Post #18 of 35 (8101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rat-baby] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rat-baby wrote:

Your post is very uninformed. I suggest you study some things.

granite_grrl

Jan 8, 2009, 1:48 PM
Post #19 of 35 (8093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
It's just as well. I hear camhead coated it in blud to try to keep others away.

jaablink

Jan 8, 2009, 2:16 PM
Post #20 of 35 (8074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The highest form of climbing is Free. Sections or routs are aided because they have to be , due to the climbers lack of ability, conditions, or on account of a true blank section of wall.
Attachments: DSC07916.jpg (79.9 KB)

Lazlo

Jan 8, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #21 of 35 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jaablink wrote:
The highest form of climbing is Free. Sections or routs are aided because they have to be , due to the climbers lack of ability, conditions, or on account of a true blank section of wall.

That's a nice opinion.

dingus

Jan 8, 2009, 2:35 PM
Post #22 of 35 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:

Nope. Esp. in sandstone, not acceptable AT ALL.

DMT

dingus

Jan 8, 2009, 2:38 PM
Post #23 of 35 (8054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Sure you can but rap bolting is aid, silly.

DMT

altelis

Jan 8, 2009, 2:59 PM
Post #24 of 35 (8033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Welcome to A1 Kentucky? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
altelis wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Sure you can but rap bolting is aid, silly.

DMT

my bizzle

Partner camhead

Jan 8, 2009, 3:55 PM
Post #25 of 35 (8009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo,

how do you know that the route was originally hammered for the FA. I do not recall seeing any sign of pinscars on it. If you wanted to aid it, it would certainly go completely clean on passive gear, let alone cams.

I could be wrong, though.

out of curiosity, why is a Californian picking on a Kentucky route?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook