RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

a-e-jones

Dec 22, 2008, 7:43 AM
Post #1 of 2 (635 views)
Shortcut

how to replace lanyard connectors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so i have a lanyard with sewn ends, and the hooks are toast (dont close properly, very gummed up) so i was able to get new hooks but i can't think of a way to attach them the guy at the shop told me to just use another carabiner but i suspect that there are better ways to do this (mallion possibly?) so anyone have any other ideas?

petzl lanyard - http://en.petzl.com/petzl/ProProduits?Produit=329

oh and also i dont have access to a sewing machine

USnavy

Dec 22, 2008, 9:06 AM
Post #2 of 2 (622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a-e-jones] how to replace lanyard connectors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

a-e-jones wrote:
so i have a lanyard with sewn ends, and the hooks are toast (dont close properly, very gummed up) so i was able to get new hooks but i can't think of a way to attach them the guy at the shop told me to just use another carabiner but i suspect that there are better ways to do this (mallion possibly?) so anyone have any other ideas?

petzl lanyard - http://en.petzl.com/petzl/ProProduits?Produit=329

oh and also i dont have access to a sewing machine

1. Replace the whole thing. Those devices are for single use only. Once you fall on them they must be retired. If the hooks are not useable anymore you should retire it.

2. You cannot use conventional carabiners on those lanyards. You must use type K UIAA certified carabiners as that class of carabiners have more stringent testing requirements then other carabiners due to the unique nature of the forces involved with high impact falls.

3. Sewing your own stitches in that with some Wal-Mart cotton thread is a good way to end up dead.

Replace it.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Dec 22, 2008, 9:10 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook