RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner angry

Dec 27, 2008, 5:08 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3063 views)
Shortcut

Would you? (frozen water)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm a bit frustrated right now.

As many of you know, i'm climbing on a pair of handmade "Stanley Alpine" titanium tools. For ice, not mixed, you will be hard pressed to find a better tool. Especially so with the leashless mod I've done to them.

The biggest problem with homegrown anything is the lack of a shop in China churning out a million replacement parts.

I'm careful but there are still rocks in the winter. I thought they'd hibernate. I smack one here or there, nothing terrible and when the nicks start affecting my sticks, I go ahead and sharpen them. This of course makes the picks shorter each time.

In the mass production world it's easy enough to go drop $45 and have a new pick. Voila, problem solved. I however am not a member of this club. The guy who made my tools ran out of picks and between a job change and a move, he hasn't gotten a new batch yet. The order is in for new ones but that could be May before I see anything.

In my shopping, I've seen the old style petzl/charlet tools. They are damn similar in the attachment. Look. I don't even think it'd change my geometry.

and

The two holes are the exact same spacing. I could get the replacement pick

and mount it up with just a little extra filing.

Nice, with this option I've got access to a B and T rated Charlet pick. It's not as nice as the picks he makes but it will get me climbing.

So the question then is, how would you feel about it? My concern is that the original pick fits into the head perfectly with no play. I wonder how much weaker/how much extra stress on the bolts the setup would be. Trustworthy? I will be using it on vertical WI, not low angle so a pick failure could suck.

And here's a picture of the pick laying on an early prototype (that I unfortunately can't use) just to give you an idea of just how much I've already filed off my pick. What you can't see is that it's a little bent too. So yeah, I'm not going to just keep climbing on the old ones, they are already long past retirement. They'll have a beautiful afterlife as bottle openers.

salamanizer

Dec 27, 2008, 5:53 AM
Post #2 of 13 (3032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Would you? (frozen water) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welp... no one's gonna be able to tell ya how it's going to work out without seeing the situation for themselves, not even yourself.

Anyone who tells you your nuts for trusting it, is simply giving there opinion which bares no weight what-so-ever.

Now, you might not want to hear it, but I think you only have two choices.

1) Try it out, test em', tweak em' put them through the ringer and decide then if you trust them or not.

-or-

2) Get a new set of tools until you can get your replacement picks.

If the Petzl picks don't work, you'll have to decide whats worse, blowing 200+ bucks on some shitty tools you don't like, or sitting this season out cuz you failed to plan ahead.

southforkclimber

Dec 27, 2008, 6:25 AM
Post #3 of 13 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salamanizer] Would you? (frozen water) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll agree. I won't say it simply won't work, because I can't look at them head to head. It might very well work. I think the difference in bolts will be marginal, if you look at it. I climb on Cobras and only have one bolt holding my pick onto my axe. Granted, I have that groove, but it is worth a shot. If you love your tools, I'm sure that something can be made to figure it out. Do you have any friends that work in a machine shop? Maybe they can start to make some new picks for you.

sungam

Dec 27, 2008, 2:47 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey John, one thing to looks out for there.
Even if the pick fits perfectly, make sure it slot it can go into can handle it - if it's also titanium, and you old pick isn't as hard a metal as the moser ones, expect the moser ones to slowly shear into the titanium. Harder metals, when in contact with soft metals, will always slowly wear them away.

dingus

Dec 27, 2008, 3:03 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell your friend he should match some mfg's hole config exactly, so as to share parts more easily.

You bought the Bentley dude. Now you gotta pay the Bentley mechanic....

DMT

Partner angry

Dec 27, 2008, 3:17 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Would you? (frozen water) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Even if the pick fits perfectly, make sure it slot it can go into can handle it - if it's also titanium, and you old pick isn't as hard a metal as the moser ones, expect the moser ones to slowly shear into the titanium. Harder metals, when in contact with soft metals, will always slowly wear them away.

This isn't an issue.

First off, the shaft of the tool is ti, the head is aluminum, and the pick is steel. A new pick would be the same.

None of the local shops carry those Axar picks, I guess I could go to :gasp: boulder and someone would probably have something. But fuck that place, I'd rather mail order.

sungam

Dec 27, 2008, 3:31 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
sungam wrote:

This isn't an issue.

First off, the shaft of the tool is ti, the head is aluminum, and the pick is steel. A new pick would be the same.

None of the local shops carry those Axar picks, I guess I could go to :gasp: boulder and someone would probably have something. But fuck that place, I'd rather mail order.
heh. I thought you lived there? Whats rong with boulder?

Partner angry

Dec 27, 2008, 4:57 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
angry wrote:
sungam wrote:

This isn't an issue.

Hells no.

sungam

Dec 27, 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
sungam wrote:
angry wrote:
sungam wrote:

This isn't an issue.

Hells no.
CO's version of sheffield?
"I live in sheffield so I'm a fucking awesome climber" ?

Partner angry

Dec 27, 2008, 5:52 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
angry wrote:
sungam wrote:
angry wrote:
sungam wrote:

This isn't an issue.

Hells no.
CO's version of sheffield?
"I live in sheffield so I'm a fucking awesome climber" ?

Did I hijack my thread or did you?

Yep, it's like that but I'd wager that it's far far worse.

It'll be 50 and sunny the next couple days, I'm climbing rock. The picks can wait.

basilisk

Dec 31, 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give it a try. Can't hurt.

Failing that you could just buy something large (Like a BD Laser), get a metal drill bit an go to town. Any extra metal that prevents it from fitting can be hacked with a cutting wheel on a grinder. Just keep pouring oil/water on it so the pick doesn't overheat.

And I wanna hear more about these tools!

Partner angry

Dec 31, 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] Would you? (frozen water) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Turns out he's almost done.

He did a little redesign so the laser cutter wasn't as fast as normal. He ground the bevel into them earlier this week and they went to get hardened today. I'll have them by friday or monday and I'm borrowing his picks until they're ready.

Yay for not having to go ghetto fabulous.

the_climber

Jan 5, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey angry could you post up some more pics of those tools?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook