RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner angry

Jan 1, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1944 views)
Shortcut

Hotronic heated insoles?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://cozywinters.com/shop/hf1043.html

I found this on a cycling forum and they are actually being billed as ski boot accessories.

So how do you suppose they'd work. I'd imagine they would not be as warm ice climbing as they would be skiing because your foot is actually in direct contact with ice and snow all day. That and how much thinner a leather mountaineering boot is than a ski boot.

Still, people are using them in friggin cycling shoes. That's effing cold. And they're staying warm. Even if my toes aren't toasty, they would be a lot warmer.

I found an ebay store selling these brand new for $180 so it's a little cheaper. Still, these are not cheap. With the price of all the different socks I've experimented with, the frozen toes (yes, I've nipped mine), the constant taking on and off of my boots, and the price of new (supposedly) warmer shoes, I'm inclined to justify this expense. That and I can use them through the winter on the rickshaw.

Do you think they'd hold up to the rigors of ice climbing? The approaches? The moisture? Would you opt for the belt mount battery pack or the boot? I'm thinking belt.

Does anyone have any experience with these at all?

anykineclimb

Jan 1, 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Hotronic heated insoles? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, looks interesting.
Maybe try contacting the manufacturer to get a set to Test and Evaluate for specific ice climbing usage. Might be able to get a set for wholesale or even free.

worth a try...

marc801

Jan 1, 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to an ancient bit of frostbite suffered on a winter mountaineering trip during college, I've been using Hotronics for skiing for the past 20 years. In short, they really do work, and work well. There has been a steady improvement in battery technology. Their latest, the M4 series, easily lasts all day skiing. I usually use setting #1 or #2. I only need to go to #3 when it hits single digits. Setting #4 is too hot other than for a brief period of time.

The key thing to remember with Hotronics is that they are designed to keep your feet from becoming cold. They are not intended to warm up feet that have become cold. So turn them on when you put your foot in your boot, rather than waiting till your toes get cold.

I've always worn them on the boot. I really wouldn't consider the belt mount, with attendant extension cords. Just more stuff to deal with and get tangled in.

jajen

Jan 2, 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto marc801's comments except for one thing. I'd definitely consider the waist mount for ice and cycling. I use them every freakin' day in the winter standing around on the hill coaching and at races and would probably be frostbit more times than I care to think if I didn't have them. Also, ditto the technology comments - I'm still running 2 generation old units and they hold up for most of the day. The batteries keep getting better.

One thing to consider is the mounting/use - with ski boots, I install the custom units permanently in my custom footbeds - have 3 sets built up - and then have 2 sets of batteries that I use day to day. Not sure how they'll hold up if you're yankin' 'em in and out of different footwear.

Good luck.

error

Jan 3, 2009, 9:33 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm... one could possibly glue some nichrome wire to the insoles and use a regular NiMH battery pack. Save $150 for beer.

marc801

Jan 5, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [error] Hotronic heated insoles? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

error wrote:
Hmm... one could possibly glue some nichrome wire to the insoles and use a regular NiMH battery pack. Save $150 for beer.
But with none of the heat control circuitry or the battery technology that enables 6 or 8 hrs of use without recharge.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook