RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

tylerofcamp4

Nov 17, 2002, 3:48 AM
Post #1 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Rope jumping rigs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all ive been starting to rope jump and i have been using the tyrolean rig it works great. I was wondering if any one knew of a efficient harness rig. thanks for any info

estwing

Nov 17, 2002, 3:51 AM
Post #2 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Rope jumping rigs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I read that Dan Osman used a full body harness. This could be accomplished through buying a chest harness to go with your sit harness, or getting a dedicated full body. I think petzl sells both types, the chest harness for sure.

Good luck, and don't end up like Dan,

Sam

tenn_dawg

Nov 17, 2002, 4:22 AM
Post #3 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is great to see someone with interest on this subject on this site.

Here is a link to an old topic I had running on this. Sadly it never ammounted to much though. I eventually figured out how to do it on my own. I have a Great deal of technical knowledge on this subject, and have done a great deal of research on it, including long discussions with physics professors.

All that I am comfortable telling you about this now is that you should be exceedingly carefull because you are treading into dangerous waters. If something goes wrong in your system then you will die.

This may sound dumb, but "you will not pass go, will not take $200" you will die, without a doubt.

It is not easy to set up a roped jumping system. They are inherenty un-redundant, due to the single rope. Regardless, there are things you can do to stack the odds in your favor.

I would feel more comfortable discussing the details of these systems via PM, or over the phone. I am not willing to post just enough information to get some poor sap in WAY over their head.

You will notice that there is very little information on this topic avaliable anywhere on the web. There is a good reason for this. Allow me to state this one more time, via cool HTML format.

If you mess up while doing a roped jump...you will Die.

Be careful, and feel free to contact me.
-Travis

base311

Nov 17, 2002, 4:49 AM
Post #4 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not just shed the umbilical attachment and go BASE jumping?

http://www.blincmagazine.com/

tenn_dawg

Nov 17, 2002, 5:04 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You asked so I'm answering.
BASE jumping is something I've looked into extensively. There are several reasons that I refuse to become involved with this sport.

Firstly, it requires that you become an avid skydiver. Even the Gumbie BASE jumpers say that you should have at least 200 skydives under your belt. For most of us people with real jobs, that means that you are looking at about a year of hardcore skydiving at incredible expense, and extreme dedication.

Personally I'd rather be CLIMBING.

Another reason is the god-awful danger!

How many climbers die every year? 10? 20 at most? How many of us know personally a climber who has died? Get this, EVERYONE who skydives, or BASE jumps personally knows someone who has died persuing this sport. Hell, even I, as a person who only has a few skydives under his belt, knew someone who died skydiving. Their community is so much smaller than the climbers, but their fatility rate is unacceptably higher. Especially in the BASE community. Go to that link you posted and look around the learning BASE section. They are incredibly morbid in their explanation of knowing exactly what you are getting into. It's just too dangerous for me.

I'll admit that BASE would be the ultimate rush. What they do is incredible, and thinking about it is exciting, but for me the risks, and the expence are unacceptable.

-Travis

[ This Message was edited by: tenn_dawg on 2002-11-16 21:07 ]

tenn_dawg

Nov 17, 2002, 5:12 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote: from the BASE website posted above
Tell Your Family

It is the responsibility of every BASE jumper to tell their family that they are involved in BASE, that they understand the risks, and that they have chosen to take those risks.

Sit down with your family and talk to them about BASE. This is obviously an extremely difficult proposition. Facing your family with your decision to engage in a life-threatening activity cannot be easy. However this discussion is important both for you and for the sport of BASE jumping.

An honest, open discussion with your loved ones will make them feel more included in your decisions. They will generally be more impressed with the maturity and thought that has gone into your decision to jump. This can help avoid the arguments, tantrums, and guilt trips that might otherwise be thrown at you by family and friends who don’t understand your activities.

An explanation, by you, that you understand and accept the risks involved, will help prevent your family from attacking other members of the BASE community in the event of your injury or death. There have been far too many cases of the families of dead jumpers accusing, confronting, suing and even prosecuting other jumpers as a result of fatalities. Don’t let this happen to your friends.

Write a letter to your friends and family, to be opened in the event that you die BASE jumping. In the letter, explain why you have chosen to take up BASE, what you hope to get from BASE jumping, and why you are willing to risk death for it. Give sealed copies to (at the very least) your family and your BASE mentor. Do this to defuse any conflicts that might arise from your death

Before I trash BASE any more, I'll say that Roped jumping probably isin't much better. Nonetheless, this is why I personally don't get involved with BASE...regardless how tempting.

-Travis

[ This Message was edited by: tenn_dawg on 2002-11-16 21:21 ]

estwing

Nov 17, 2002, 5:27 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In an article about Dan Osman he is talking about others reactions to his rope jumping, and he said that one of his base jumper friends tried rope jumping and got freaked out.

In base jumping you only freefall for a few seconds, before you open your chute and slow down. With rope jumping you are accelerating until you have passed the middle of your swing. This means you get more speed.

edit for speeelllling

[ This Message was edited by: estwing on 2002-11-17 13:01 ]

tylerofcamp4

Nov 17, 2002, 6:13 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive done a couple short 30 footers, just to test my rigging. Ive been using a 100ft tyrolean with a alpine butterfly knot he middle then clipped the jumpline to the butterly knot with two opposite facing locking biners. I want to use the GriGri but how do you use it with a chest harness? could you clove hitch it to the chest harness but I think that would put all the force on the chest harness?????????

tenn_dawg

Nov 17, 2002, 6:40 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are kind of barking up the wrong tree with the chest harness idea. If you are going to be doing really long jumps you have to invest in a "Full Body Harness". There are a couple of companies that manufacture them.

You have touched on the reason that a chest/standard harness combination wont work. They lack a single tie in point. The full body harness provides this.

However, unless you are thinking about doing a truely Bitchin' long jump with very little swing a full body harness is not nessessary.

The main theory of these long jumps is based on the premise of jumping into a swing. Rather than jumping from your anchors, which would result in a high impact catch, you jump from well to the side of your anchors. When the rope comes tight, you are pulled into a massive swing. The fall forces are suprisingly low if you calculate the distances right.

In my experience, I have found that the Gri-Gri is indeed the best primary mechanism to attach yourself to the rope, so you are correct in your reasoning. Remember to use a figure eight in a bight and double locking crabs attached to your harness behind the Gri-Gri. Here is one element of the REDUNDANCY that can be introduced into your system.

Still, I am scared to get too in depth in this thread. There is just too much information and if I try to cover it all, I know I will leave some critical factor out, or someone will misunderstand what I am saying. Mabey I will work on an article covering this topic.

Any Interest?

-Travis

[ This Message was edited by: tenn_dawg on 2002-11-16 22:48 ]

coolclimber

Nov 17, 2002, 7:45 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rope jumping sounds fun, I'll have to try it someday.

razal

Dec 6, 2002, 6:43 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey tenn_dawg, i've been planning a slack line jump for awhile now and project the day of the jump as early feb., i've read your beta and would like to talk to you more extensivley about it.... good idea on not floating to much info in these threads about this sub-sport....knowledge and preparation is key....thanks

clmbnski

Dec 6, 2002, 8:27 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definitly be interested in an article on rope jumping. Particularly on the physics side, like the forces on the tyrolean anchors, wouldnt they be huge?

ride

Dec 6, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not use Bungee’s?

A pendulum jump on bungee is WAY more fun than using static line or climbing rope, plus you can just jump with ‘em.

Plus the "new" Bungee cords are pretty much bomb proof (the cords themselves)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook