Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
???trad around phoenix???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

aesalon

Jan 8, 2009, 2:24 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1959 views)
Shortcut

???trad around phoenix???  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey, i plan on living near phoenix for a while maybe in a year or two. does anyone have any favorite areas or routes to suggest to someone who prefers trad? are there any boulder fields with some good cracks? any legendary offwidths around there?

any recomendations at all would be appreciated.

azrockclimber

Jan 8, 2009, 3:32 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aesalon] ???trad around phoenix??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tucson is loaded with trad. Mt Lemmon is great.

If it has to be the Phoenix area then you are looking at the McDowell Mountains. ( i might have spelled that wrong.) there is some ok stuff over there. At least its clean. You can find several multi pitch climbs. I did find the area very difficult to navigate and only went twice in my 7 years in zona. ( climbing 3 days a week over that time)

If I were you I would make a weekend of it ( or one long day) and hit Mt. Lemmon. Some of the best, and most interesting trad in Zona. Stop in at summit hut for some first hand beta on your first trip or two

You're going to love it out there.

aesalon

Jan 8, 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [azrockclimber] ???trad around phoenix??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cool. i'll look into mcdowell. i've actually climbed at mt lemon before. you're right, interesting rock and routes. not far to go from phoenix i guess, was just wondering what was more convenient. thanks for theadvice.

i was in the chiracauas (sp?) once, had an awesome motorcycle ridethrough there. and loved the goblins or the city of rocks or whatever they call it. i guess you aren't allowed to climb them though. i wasn't into climbing yet anyway. i hear cochise head is considered the most classic multi pitch trad climb in the state, but kind of slabby? that would be another good weekend trip from phoenix.

i do love arizona, thinking about living in eloy for a while to rack up a bunch of jumps at skydive arizona (free camping, perfect for a dirtbag like me). other cool thing about arizona is proximity to moab, where i learned to climb and will always make a point to return to.
thanks again. happy climbing.

atrocket

Jan 9, 2009, 8:12 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aesalon] ???trad around phoenix??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pick up the Phoenix Rock 2 guidebook, there's plenty of trad listed in there. You can find some trad routes on Camelback and Pinnacle Peak which are in the metro area (not the best, but good enough for after work climbing). There's also trad in the Supersitions and QC which are a bit farther out.

Lots of great climbing all over the state! Cool

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook