RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

biggernhell

Nov 17, 2002, 3:32 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Strange Shoulder Dislocation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A friend of mine dislocated his left shoulder last year after palming down with his left hand and lunging with his right and missing the hold then letting his weight (220lbs) fall back onto his still palmed down left.

Needlesss to say the resulting dislocation was beyond my ability to fix and took two orthopedists to get back into place once we had reached to hospital.

He hasn't had much stability in the joint ever since. Even efter taking nearly six months off from climbing. If he pulls on it in certain ways it will pop righ back out.

Has anyone ever heard of a dislocation like this?

What can he do about the instability?

Partner one900johnnyk

Nov 17, 2002, 4:27 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Strange Shoulder Dislocation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

welcome to my world. i dislocated my left shoulder two years ago when lifting weights and i had to pop in back in myself. i nearly blacked out it hurt so bad. but i just stayed away from exertion for a couple months and then started lifting lightly w/it. (flat bench, dumbell shoulder press,) he probably has a problem w/his rotator cuff, too, it sounds like a bad dislocation so a good exersize for that is to get on the cable machine w/a waist high stirrup and facing sideways with your arm bent in an L across your stomach turn your shoulder outward (but not to over extend it) with a light weight. then turn the other direction so your arm is in an L with your palm out and the inside of your elbow facing away from your body and do the same thing but in reverse (again, don't start this with your arm all the way out to the side) after a while my shoulder eventually got stronger and i was back lifting heavily but every once in a while i will tweak it (esp. while climbing) best thing to do is just stop exertion until it feels better and slowly rehab it w/light weights after resting for a while. unfortunately if you dislocate your shoulder once it's pretty much f'ed for the rest of your life....

[ This Message was edited by: one900johnnyk on 2002-11-17 08:32 ]

farmgirl

Nov 17, 2002, 4:37 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about your friend. I dislocated my shoulder too after being hit by a car while riding my bike. As I was falling I put my hand out to try and stop my face from hitting the ground first. The force of that popped my shoulder out. The Dr. told me that surgery was in my future since I would have a high risk of recurrent dislocations due to the damage done to the rotator cuff and other structures within my shoulder. The dislocation caused some tearing and stretching of tendons and ligaments. The surgery would involve repairing and tightening those tendons and ligaments. Oh no, no surgery for me... I went to a chiropractor and he gave some strengthening exercises to do using an elastic band. It took about 3 months before I could climb again, and I had to start on really easy stuff. But it worked. If you need more info about these exercises let me know. Good luck to your friend.

bowline

Nov 18, 2002, 5:46 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, say goodbye to 100% recovery, but hope that it can be somewhere in the 90s. Yes do the exercises, and a good surgeon may improve the recovery. But cranking 5.12 may not be in the picture anymore. Sorry.
My shouder is staying in lately, but I'm not about to tempt fate and push it too much after 10 dislocations and 2 operations.

dannymccracken

Nov 18, 2002, 5:58 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See a professional, either a Physical Therapist or a Doctor who specializes in rehabilitation. Your injury sounds far too serious to try to rely on "home remedies."

Partner one900johnnyk

Nov 18, 2002, 6:22 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no. rely on home remedies... which reminds me... if you could get some eye of newt and drop a little in a chicken stew and feed it to your friend he should be perfectly fine w/in 2-3 days

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook