RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

krillen

Jan 14, 2009, 5:10 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Inexpensive Alternatives to Pocket Wizards
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do any of you have reliable/cheap alternative to using Pocket Wizards? I don't think I can swing the coin for PW's and I've read Strobist's repeated references to "Ebay triggers" but every time I troll Ebay, most triggers are almost as expensive as PWs. Also, I'm not sure which brands are cheap, and which just inexpensive.

Suggestions/Testimonials?

Also, I have a minolta flash from my film days, that I 'd like be able to use as well. The flash has all manual settings so my Canon will only have to trigger it not really control it. What are the chances I'll be able to do this?

Cheers!

kriso9tails

Jan 14, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krillen] Inexpensive Alternatives to Pocket Wizards [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is this thread.

Mark is using the Skyports, which are around half the price of Pocket Wizards. He seems to like them.

I haven't heard all that much about Radio Poppers, but I've heard enough to know that they're definitely worth looking into.

gunit

Jan 14, 2009, 7:31 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krillen] Inexpensive Alternatives to Pocket Wizards [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So depending at what you are looking to do with off-camera flash there are quite a few options. Here is the breakdown of the options I know about.

PocketWizards: Pretty much the industry standard for pros. Rock solid reliability, but a bit pricey. They can act as either a Transmitter or Receiver but are on the larger side of things size wise. One pro is that they can also be used as a remote trigger for your camera. They are currently about $125 per unit on Amazon after $25 rebate.

RadioPoppers: I have the first gen TTL version and am planning on upgrading to their latest TTL version once release. The previous version was really good. Occasionally there would be a misfire, but they were near PWs on reliability. The pros of these are that they can do TTL and also offer high-speed sync (over your camera's sync speed). Cons are that the first version needed a little fiber optic cable to carry the TTL IR signal and needed something on the camera to act as the master. They aren't really cheaper, but do offer some abilities that the PWs don't.

Cactus V2 Triggers aka eBay triggers: Definitely entry level, but good enough for some. They do tend to have the most misfires or interference issues than any other triggers out there from those that I've talked to.

AlienBees CyberSync: A good in between choice between the Cactus v2s and PW. Pretty small and reliable. I actually have a set of these (1 CST and 2 CSRB) that I'm planning on selling shortly since I've since upgraded to PWs.

Radiopoppers Jr: Sounds to be similar to the Cybersync and about the same price range. Only difference is these have yet to be released.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook