Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

m8knoise

Jan 16, 2009, 6:11 AM
Post #1 of 35 (10082 views)
Shortcut

What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was Searching through the blog world today, and I came across Neal Mueller, after looking at his resume, I am suprised that I have never heard his name before...

http://www.youmustbetrippin.com/...ors/neal_mueller.php

Anybody know this guy?

Also, I am not that experienced with this type of climbing, how hard is it to train and climb the tallest mountain on every continent?

I question is, is this the type of thing that takes skill or training?

skiclimb

Jan 16, 2009, 8:09 AM
Post #2 of 35 (10040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [m8knoise] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

money, basic physical fitness, tunnel vision that allows you to ignore how much money and time you are wasting on an objective that pales in experince to many other climbs you could do less expensively and enjoy more for the time. However it beats the everlasting hell out of sitting in a cubicle.

On another plus side you will be able to brag about it to a bunch of people who have no freaking clue WTF u did. Those who understand what you did pretty much won't give a shite either.

Oh and yeah it takes no training or experience... most people can do it barefoot

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Jan 16, 2009, 8:15 AM)

keinangst

Jan 16, 2009, 4:37 PM
Post #3 of 35 (9986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sort of raises the question about how many people are plenty fit enough to perform the physical feat, but who don't have the money or the odd drive to do such a thing.

I bet that's 99% of the people capable of actually doing it. Reminds me of the current issue of Backpacker. I think they were in Nepal and asked some of the hardworking local villagers if they ever went trekking in the mountains. "Are you kidding? We're busy and don't like to work that hard in our time off"

fxgranite

Jan 16, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #4 of 35 (9973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
most people can do it barefoot

but sometimes that can irritate my feet so I always wear my crocs. Just to be safe.

jrathfon

Jan 16, 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #5 of 35 (9951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fxgranite] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:
skiclimb wrote:
most people can do it barefoot

but sometimes that can irritate my feet so I always wear my crocs. Just to be safe.

^^ nice!

taydude

Jan 16, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #6 of 35 (9930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrathfon] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

an ascent of Everest and other mountains like it is often earned with a personal trainer and a shit ton of cash. Sadly most people think that it is some great personal feat. Actually the next person that asks me if I'm planning on doing Everest is getting an ear-full.

fxgranite

Jan 16, 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #7 of 35 (9918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:
an ascent of Everest and other mountains like it is often earned with a personal trainer and a shit ton of cash. Sadly most people think that it is some great personal feat. Actually the next person that asks me if I'm planning on doing Everest is getting an ear-full.

I guess that depends. ARE you planning on doing Everest?Tongue

On a side note, I'd think that the physical conditioning aspect would be the easiest part. Not that its easy, but its straightforward. Learning the technical aspects, the routefinding, packing, and plain old judgement gained by experience would be far more difficult imo.*

*Disclaimer: I have never done any alpine climbing so I really know nothing about it. Also, I've heard that you can just pay for guides on many of the great peaks, Everest included.

m8knoise

Jan 16, 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #8 of 35 (9863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really didn't mean to imply that it is easy.
I just wonder, what type of skill it takes to climb big mountains...

>Mental ability to make judgments at high elevation
>Stamina

To climb v14, 5.13... you cant just get in shape, you need to learn the techniques to climb...

Is it nessasary to work your way up to these "highest mountain assents" or can you just get in shape, get a guide, and go?

dynosore

Jan 16, 2009, 8:08 PM
Post #9 of 35 (9853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [m8knoise] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a list of the 7 summits that require any amount of technical skills to climb:

I can think of no good reason to do it other than to spray about it.

m8knoise

Jan 17, 2009, 1:22 AM
Post #10 of 35 (9818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't see your list? Unsure

dunlap837

Jan 17, 2009, 1:30 AM
Post #11 of 35 (9812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats his point. there aren't any.

el_layclimber

Jan 17, 2009, 2:43 AM
Post #12 of 35 (9783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Here's a list of the 7 summits that require any amount of technical skills to climb:

I can think of no good reason to do it other than to spray about it.

Point taken regarding how most people get up these climbs on the backs of a gang of porters and guides, but those few who have done these peaks solo or alpine style in a small group are quite skilled.

Partner angry

Jan 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #13 of 35 (9666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never wanted to climb Everest. It just seemed stupid. Until about two weeks ago I heard the best zinger.

Q: "Have you climbed Everest" (as we each are asked about 50 times a year)
A: "No but I walked up it"

That alone makes me want to do it, just to unleash that baby in full honesty.

Partner camhead

Jan 18, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #14 of 35 (9636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, I'll just poke the hornet's nest a little here.

I do agree that non-climbers tend to obsess over "highest" summits being the goal of all climbing; how many times do we here someone at the climbing gym going "I got to the top! I got to the top!" And Everest in particular has obviously gotten so commercialized and guide-sieged that it is justifiably getting a lot of complaints from "real" climbers.

That said, to summit Everest, even with a guide, you have to be in excellent physical shape. It is very inaccurate to simply say that anyone with enough money can do it. It is true, anyone with enough money can take time off and train intensely for it over a year or so, and succeed, but you know what? Most who train intensely for a year will probably be able to climb 5.12 sport as well!

I am not an alpinist at all. But, given what I've seen with the average recreational cragger on an approach to an Indian Creek crag, I would be willing to bet that a lot of you here slagging on Everest LACK the endurance to make it up, guide or not!*

There, I said it. Suckers.

* posters to this thread who have competed in Ironman Triathlons are exempt from my tauntings.

(This post was edited by camhead on Jan 18, 2009, 3:51 PM)

clausti

Jan 18, 2009, 3:52 PM
Post #15 of 35 (9634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in all honestly, i doubt there is enough money in the world to get me in good enough shape that i would not die climbing everest.

Durin

Jan 21, 2009, 5:02 AM
Post #16 of 35 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's start a new thread: What does it take to climb K2?

Money
Physical fitness
Technical ice/rock climbing skills
Routefinding skills
Climbing partners

And a complete lack of fear.

(This post was edited by Durin on Jan 21, 2009, 5:06 AM)

skiclimb

Jan 21, 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #17 of 35 (9493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Durin] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Durin wrote:
Let's start a new thread: What does it take to climb K2?

Money
Physical fitness
Technical ice/rock climbing skills
Routefinding skills
Climbing partners

And a complete lack of fear.

Yeah I'd say even an ascent of the abruzzi is pretty solid mountaineering...although with all the parties up there on a good season..fixed lines setup ahead of most of the climbers...it is less than it used to be.

There are of course routes and styles of climbing that make an ascent of these peaks a fantastic challenge and worthwhile accomplishment. Unfortunately if you are looking for that challenge it's still hard to justify the monetary expenditure when many less expensive accomplishments are available.

..but just tagging the seven summits tends to disgust me more than impress me.

adeptus

Jan 23, 2009, 9:01 AM
Post #18 of 35 (9397 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adeptus [In reply to]
Report this Post

GeneralZon

Jan 23, 2009, 2:15 PM
Post #19 of 35 (9365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adeptus] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget the environmental and altitude challenges Unimpressed

Partner camhead

Jan 23, 2009, 3:53 PM
Post #20 of 35 (9339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adeptus] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adeptus wrote:
This might dissapoint a few of you, but this is actually the crux of the Abruzzi Spur on K2:

They even use fixed ropes on terrain less steep than this. Seems like a pretty hyped mountain to me, considering that 90% of all who summits uses this route..

and K2 has what, a 25% death to summit rate or something like that? what a bunch of weakmos!

adeptus

Jan 23, 2009, 3:56 PM
Post #21 of 35 (9337 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adeptus [In reply to]
Report this Post

fxgranite

Jan 23, 2009, 4:19 PM
Post #22 of 35 (9328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
adeptus wrote:
This might dissapoint a few of you, but this is actually the crux of the Abruzzi Spur on K2:
[image]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2730605328_c81aa5635a_o.jpg[/image]
They even use fixed ropes on terrain less steep than this. Seems like a pretty hyped mountain to me, considering that 90% of all who summits uses this route..

and K2 has what, a 25% death to summit rate or something like that? what a bunch of weakmos!

Seriously. And didn't like 11 people die right there recently due to massive, and regular icefall wiping out fixed lines? What panzies! They should do it without ropes, oxygen, food, or pants just to make it a worthwhile effort.

marde

Jan 23, 2009, 5:33 PM
Post #23 of 35 (9290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adeptus wrote:
Well, we all know this goes alpine style:
[image]http://www.gymjones.com/images/disciples/disciple_3_3.jpg[/image]
Rupal Face, Nanga Parbat.
and you should know that this climb was russian roulette

graniteboy

Jan 24, 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #24 of 35 (8177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marde] What does it take to Climb the tallest mountains in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wondering...has anyone of you folks weighing in with great authority on this subject actually even been up an 8,000 meter peak?

EvilMonkey

Jan 24, 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #25 of 35 (8169 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you gotta be a real hardman like Tim Medvitz. u seen everest: beyond the limit? that guy's the real deal, man.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook