RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

tizzight37

Jan 20, 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4882 views)
Shortcut

Homemade Rock Wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking about building my own climbing wall, but I don't want to put it inside because I don't have much room so it would have to be rather small. The other option is to build it onto an old swing set we have, with this it would be much bigger and would include an overhang and some other cool features. However, I know that outdoors it would be subject to rain and temperature changes that might weaken it.

Anybody have any suggestions on weather-proofing a plywood wall, or have an idea of what extra precautions need to be taken for an outside wall?
Thanks!

Builderdash

Jan 20, 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tizzight37] Homemade Rock Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking of doing the same thing, i think Metolious (sp) makes a paint just for coating outdoor walls and giving them some texture. You could probably find a generic version somehow or make your own by adding sand to the paint.

Also, i was planning a tarp to either cover it while not in use, or to be permanent so that even during inclement weather it would be usable. Main thing is that moisture could be bad for T nut and rust them and/or plywood will swell, shrink, and crack depending on the season.

I live in PA, so i don't think weather will be that limiting of a factor, but it might be for you depending on where you live.

So what is the general shape of the playset and what is it constructed out of / what are your plans for it?

Peace,
Ry.

tizzight37

Jan 20, 2009, 1:06 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Builderdash] Homemade Rock Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, that paint sounds like a good idea. I also read that stainless steel bolts prevent rusting better.

I live in Missouri so the temperature isn't too extreme but I'm more concerned with the rain.

The playset I'm adding onto is mainly built out of 2x6 planks and 4x4 studs. About 4ft off the ground there is a 6'x6' deck and on top of that is a railing that extends up another 4ft. I was planning on having the wall go up to the deck on one side, then make an overhang/roof under the deck and then have the wall go up another 4-5ft with the railing. Overall it would be 9ft high with about 15ft of climbing room and 6ft wide throughout.
-Quin

bakoprc

Jan 20, 2009, 1:13 AM
Post #4 of 7 (4844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some sand in the paint worked well for me, inside. i say you build a big enough overhang to help protect most of the wall, and slap some caulk on the back side, along with some thompsons water seal and call it bueno. oh yea, paint all the hardware in back

Builderdash

Jan 20, 2009, 2:39 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! Sweet. I have the same setup and had worked through to the same idea you have. I was also going to put vertical room on the other 3 sides of the structure around the overhangs. I take it there will be one overhang diagonal from ground to underneath the deck and then one from that level to the top where the swings used to be hung right?

Also on another note: I'll be in MO from Mar 16-20 and will be climbing Elephant Rocks with another MO climber if you are interested in a little early season action. Will climb weather depending on Thurs the 17th and Fri the 18th.

Let me know.

Peace,
Ry.

tizzight37

Jan 24, 2009, 1:46 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well I'm just thinking about the basic structure now but I have left several areas to expand.

And that probably sounds cool at elephants rocks, but I'll still be in school in March. I might be able to come up that weekend though.
-Quin

MudandRox

Jan 25, 2009, 1:19 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used hurculiner. its a truck bed liner from any local auto parts store. it has killer grip and has proven durable

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook