RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

moses_rock_gym

Jan 20, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Central Washington Climbing Gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Living in Moses Lake Wa. there is little or nothing to do when it comes to the indoor climbing scene. So i bring the idea of starting a climbing gym up to my employer and he said " come back with a business plan an all the info. you would need to start it"
So know I'm looking to the advice of those who have come before
me!!! what is the best way to show him that his investment will pay-off??

After looking on like i've found the "eldowalls" look to be the best investment, is this ture? is the product really as good as it seems??

what are some key question i should ask when talking to them on the phone?

moses_rock_gym

Jan 20, 2009, 2:14 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moses_rock_gym] Central Washington Climbing Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No one ever wants to be the first one so Ill do it myself

carabiner96

Jan 20, 2009, 2:44 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who is your employer? And why the hell would he want to build a climbing gym?

moses_rock_gym

Jan 20, 2009, 2:46 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Central Washington Climbing Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the building is already there so he wouldnt build it just put new insides in it

djlachelt

Jan 21, 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure what you've looked at to find that Eldo walls to be "the best investment". There are a handful of wall builders in the US that have a large number of projects in their portfolio and other smaller shops that have just a few.

Eldo is in the first camp, Rockwerx is another one. I think you'll find them to be comparable. You can see an example of Rockworks' walls at Edgeworks in Tacoma. http://www.edgeworks-climbing.com/. Both Eldo and Rockwerx have a consulting package that would help you to put together the business plan.

As for showing your employer that "his investment will pay-off"... a climbing wall is not a great investment. Certainly many do stay in business but not many are making a huge return on their investment. One of the notable gym owners in the industry said something to the effect that you'd be better off putting your money in a mutual fund. Someone in the organization better be passionate about it... otherwise the venture is likely to languish and fail.

If you really want to move forward with this then I strongly encourage you to plan to attend the Climbing Wall Summit this spring. You can find info about last year's summit at: http://www.climbingwallindustry.org/cwsmain08.php

They don't yet have the 2009 summit details posted, but it is scheduled for April 30-May 3, 2009, and again in Boulder, CO.

This is not a normal trade show... yes, the wall vendors and some hold companies are there, but nearly all of the time is spent attending excellent workshops/seminars... plus ample time for networking - so you can get lots of your questions answered. You'd also be able to talk with each of the vendors and could talk face to face with gym owners that have used each of their products... as well as some owners that basically built theirs from scratch.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook