RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

RyanW2050

Jan 18, 2009, 9:04 PM
Post #1 of 24 (3265 views)
Shortcut

Maximizing Dynos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

While working on a vertical Dyno near my limit, sometimes i make it and sometimes i dont. When i do hit it it feels easy, but i can't figure out what i did differently than the times i failed. Is it focus? If so, do you focus on something in particular? (ie, fully pointing feet, pulling closer to the wall, etc)

What are some things you all reccomend to building dyno skill? Seeing a skilled boulderer fly up a wall is pretty impressive. How do you get to that?

(This post was edited by RyanW2050 on Jan 18, 2009, 10:09 PM)

petsfed

Jan 18, 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #2 of 24 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RyanW2050] Maximizing Dynos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RyanW2050 wrote:
While working on a vertical Dyno near my limit, sometimes i make it and sometimes i dont. When i do hit it it feels easy, but i can't figure out what i did differently than the times i failed. Is it focus? If so, do you focus on something in particular? (ie, fully pointing feet, pulling closer to the wall, etc)

What are some things you all reccomend to building dyno skill? Seeing a skilled boulderer fly up a wall is pretty impressive. How do you get to that?

Its all footwork and body control. Chances are, when it felt easy, you had focussed, albeit subconsciously, on having the exact amount of body tension to maximize the power from your legs. Secondarily, you had your feet in the exact right position to get push the most. Finally, your hands were in the right place to allow a pivot, rather than a pull, from the starting holds.

Spidermonkey.Rosi

Jan 18, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #3 of 24 (3217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Petsfed made a good point there. Body controll is very important when it comes to climbing. I believe when doing a good dyno you need to jump all in one motion. That way all your body's energy is exerted at once, giving you the maximum power of a dyno. So first bend your legs and when your ready use all your force in your body to make the dyno a success.

styndall

Jan 19, 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #4 of 24 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep trying dynos of various sizes and angles. The more you do, the more you get a sense of the positions and forces you need to latch the upper hold at the very top of your leap.

Take some problems or routes you're comfortable on and skip some holds. Force yourself to move dynamically more often, and you'll get better at it.

Valarc

Jan 19, 2009, 1:37 AM
Post #5 of 24 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Spidermonkey.Rosi] Maximizing Dynos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Spidermonkey.Rosi wrote:
when your ready use all your force in your body to make the dyno a success.

wow... that's... quotable.

headchop

Jan 19, 2009, 3:44 PM
Post #6 of 24 (3087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Maximizing Dynos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
Spidermonkey.Rosi wrote:

Dude, give it a rest.

paclimber12

Jan 19, 2009, 3:58 PM
Post #7 of 24 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

make sure your pressing off as hard as you can with your feet. theyre just as important as you arms in a dyno

kyleshea

Jan 19, 2009, 4:28 PM
Post #8 of 24 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
Spidermonkey.Rosi wrote:

no...valarc...you're so quotable.

itstoearly

Jan 19, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #9 of 24 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would suggest finding away to static your dyno. Dynoing should be used as a last resort and is not considered "skilled" climbing.

jto

Jan 19, 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #10 of 24 (3030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [itstoearly] Maximizing Dynos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dynoing IS concerned absolutely a climbing skill and sometimes it (includes deadpointing too) is very much more efficient way of moving than doing it "static". Dynoing is very much movement dependant and difficult neuromuscular action. Lots of timing and coordination is needed along with good basic strength and explosive power.

So if you are weak you can train your strength with weights. Basic training for muscles you need in dynoing (legs, glutes, back, abs, arms...well it´s a whole body stuff) is all you need. Controlled but not too slow movements around 4-12 reps. No explosive training with weights is needed. The carryover from weights to dynoing skill is almost non existent.

Anyway the main thing has been said here before: train the skill and you become better. A lot of easier ones for timing, coordination etc... When you get better, more accurate and economic, you can do more max efforts too. But you can´t learn skill with max efforts so build up a base first. Train often but not to exhaustion.

Rufsen

Jan 19, 2009, 5:37 PM
Post #11 of 24 (3030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

itstoearly wrote:
I would suggest finding away to static your dyno. Dynoing should be used as a last resort and is not considered "skilled" climbing.

This makes no sense to me. If a dyno is easier that doing the move(s) static then why avoid it? And dynoing does require skill.

itstoearly

Jan 19, 2009, 6:14 PM
Post #12 of 24 (3006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rufsen] Maximizing Dynos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rufsen wrote:
itstoearly wrote:

This makes no sense to me. If a dyno is easier that doing the move(s) static then why avoid it? And dynoing does require skill.

Apparently that joke fell flat on its face. See here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2058671;page=unread#unread

Valarc

Jan 19, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #13 of 24 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

itstoearly wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
itstoearly wrote:

Apparently that joke fell flat on its face. See here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2058671;page=unread#unread

You ruined it. You could have gotten another couple of pages of posts arguing with you.

itstoearly

Jan 19, 2009, 8:13 PM
Post #14 of 24 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
itstoearly wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
itstoearly wrote:

You ruined it. You could have gotten another couple of pages of posts arguing with you.

It's true, I'm impatient.

kyleshea

Jan 19, 2009, 8:14 PM
Post #15 of 24 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
itstoearly wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
itstoearly wrote:

give it a rest!

borntorocku

Jan 19, 2009, 9:18 PM
Post #16 of 24 (2941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Videotape yourself trying various dynos. It will give you unbiased feedback about successful compared to unsuccessful dynos.

sidepull

Jan 19, 2009, 9:51 PM
Post #17 of 24 (2930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [borntorocku] Maximizing Dynos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bornto is providing some great advice that you allude to in your opening post. If you can't figure out the difference between failure and success then it's less an issue of technique (you have some because you're able to complete the dyno some percentage of the time) or strength (not an issue because, again, you're able to complete it sometimes) but an issue of body awareness. The fact that you can't "feel" the difference means you need to spend more time really focusing on how your body moves. Video feedback might help. Focusing on your toes, hips, knees, etc., might help you realize where you're developing momentum. The point is, when you're not successful you need to be able to detect why (e.g. my hips sagged on that one or I needed to turn my right foot in).

Spidermonkey.Rosi

Jan 20, 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #18 of 24 (2845 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please stop asshole.

sungam

Jan 20, 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #19 of 24 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I'll bite.
Assuming you have good hand and foot holds, dynos usually have three stages.
1) swinging slightly and bringing your weight over your feet
2)while keeping a slight foreward (ie towards the rock) extend the legs and pull down and in with the arms (to keep yourself going up and in rather then flying from the wall)
3) catching the hold and trying to keep your weight under it, reducing the backswing as much as possible and already looking down fo your footholds.

4)keep sending.

mandryd

Jan 21, 2009, 2:19 AM
Post #20 of 24 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Maximizing Dynos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the main thing that I think I forget to do is to continue PUSHING downwards with my hands once i get past that pull point.

Other than that, it's clearing my mind and mentally committing to the large throw.

(This post was edited by mandryd on Jan 21, 2009, 2:21 AM)

I_do

Jan 24, 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #21 of 24 (2686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RyanW2050 wrote:

Dynoing actually seems to be one of the few skills (I mean the only) in which I can beat my more talented climbing friends. What always helps for my is focusing on pushing of with my feet, your hands will do the work without your attention IMHO, and visualizing the move before you do it and then aiming at the very top of the hold.

Don't know if it helps you, but it works for me just fine.

Disclaimer, I am a rather weaksauce climber following my advice could lead to explosive diarrhea

dingus

Jan 24, 2009, 2:03 PM
Post #22 of 24 (2672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Maximizing Dynos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was a line man in high school football. Twas good prep for dynos - its virtually the same thing. Its teaching the body to tense, coil and extend explosively, all at once, a great and rash 'standing up.'

the folks I've climbed with who dyno poorly all seem to lack the coordination to 'uncoil' all at once.

the other great failing at dynos is lack of belief and lack of commitment (co-joined at the hip) - this results in half hearted bullshit.

DMT

anonymi

Jan 24, 2009, 8:26 PM
Post #23 of 24 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Watch this mans feet. WOW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5P1YO4PdlE

There was one time I did the extra foot thing by accident, off a higher feature, and the previously hard dyno felt like a piece of cake..

sungam

Jan 24, 2009, 9:03 PM
Post #24 of 24 (2639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anonymi] Maximizing Dynos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF?
Chris Graham removed his video of him sending Caterpult, a font 8A at Kyloe-in-the-woods. It is sick... I could barely pull off the ground on that shitty mono. The dyno is huge, and he makes a forceful 2nd generation push with his foot off a smear to get the extra few inches.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook