RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

blondgecko

Jan 22, 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #1 of 14 (1618 views)
Shortcut

Visiting South California in March
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I'm going to be at a conference in Ventura from the 22nd to the 27th of March. I'm thinking of staying an extra 4 or so days after that to see a bit of the area.

So... anyone in the vicinity up for a long weekend of climbing or skiing (or whatever else is good in the area in March) with a foreign devil?

One other question: I'm thinking of picking up some new camera gear while I'm there (it's substantially cheaper than in my corner of the globe). Any leads on a good local store?

atellier27

Jan 22, 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Visiting South California in March [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure where Ventura is in SC, but in the Greenville area, I would go to Wolf Camera on Haywood Rd.

What type of climbing are you in to?

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 22, 2009, 7:39 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is Jtree a possibility for you? I'll be out there end of March/start of April and was thinking an RC.com gathering would be cool. BG, with you as special guest, it would surely go down!

blondgecko

Jan 22, 2009, 8:27 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Visiting South California in March [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not sure where Ventura is in SC, but in the Greenville area, I would go to Wolf Camera on Haywood Rd.

Ventura's on the coast, halfway between LA and Santa Barbara. As for the type of climbing, well... beggars can't be choosers. On the sharp end, I'll attack most things up to the mid-high 5.10's. Never been a huge boulderer, though.

happiegrrrl wrote:
Is Jtree a possibility for you? I'll be out there end of March/start of April and was thinking an RC.com gathering would be cool. BG, with you as special guest, it would surely go down!

JTree's about 3 hours' drive according to Google Maps. Seems do-able.

donald949

Jan 23, 2009, 2:49 AM
Post #5 of 14 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
In reply to:

Ventura's on the coast, halfway between LA and Santa Barbara. As for the type of climbing, well... beggars can't be choosers. On the sharp end, I'll attack most things up to the mid-high 5.10's. Never been a huge boulderer, though.

happiegrrrl wrote:

JTree's about 3 hours' drive according to Google Maps. Seems do-able.

BG, little home town info for ya.
I'm quite partial to Sespe Gorge. 2 pitches of trad, moderate, good fun. It right up the road from Ventura, past Ojai. Wheeler Gorge is along the way, it has some bolted 10's for spurt climbing. Prolly too far for after work hours climbing though.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rnia/Ventura_County/

3 hrs to Jtree from Ventura seems a bit optimistic. But at midnight at 80 mph, sure, it's doable.Sly
However, during the day, any day, your going to hit traffic. Either deal with the traffic, leave early, or leave late.
Happie nice web site. Here's a favorite of mine.
http://www.joshuatreeclimb.com/prehome.html

Also, just down the road in from Ventura is Echo Cliffs, Malibu Creek (both sport areas), and Stoney Point. Look them up in the Los Angeles sections of California. The Stoney attraction is historical: "Climb in the footsteps of Royal Robbins, Yvon Chouinard, Bob Kamps, John Bachar, John Long, Batten... they all trained at Stoney." From the RC.com, although they failed to mention my name there, small oversight I'm sure. Tongue

Good climbing to ya,
:D

gregory_huey

Jan 23, 2009, 6:40 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heya,
I'd be happy to do a long weekend of climbing with you. SoCal is truely the blessed realm - we have good local sport - Riverside Quarry and Echo Cliffs and world-class trad-cragging - Joshua Tree - all very close and with pleasant temperatures. A bit further is world-class multi-pitch trad - Red Rocks - only a short 4-hour drive from LA. I live in Pasadena and have a 70m rope, full trad rack and flexible schedule. Its best to email me at greghueyccc _at_ cosmology.name or call me at 626-396-9284 (if you pm me I might not notice it immediately).

Later,
Greg

blondgecko

Jan 25, 2009, 4:06 AM
Post #7 of 14 (1542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gregory_huey] Visiting South California in March [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. Good to hear that there's plenty of options!

wyoclimb

Jan 25, 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Visiting South California in March [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I might be in j-tree in late march we just discussed the possibilities over the guide book.Cool
warm rock!!

jeremy9876543

Feb 28, 2009, 5:38 AM
Post #9 of 14 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sammy's Camera is definitely the best. If you are flying into LAX you should visit their store in the Fairfax area of LA. They are one of the primary suppliers of camera gear for movie industry needs, but they also do very brisk retail business with some very good deals. This is a huge store stuffed with camera and video gear. There is also a smaller store in Santa Barbara.

blondgecko

Mar 6, 2009, 6:01 AM
Post #10 of 14 (1383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So... details time. I wrap up in Ventura late Friday night (the 27th). I fly out of LAX on Tuesday the 31st at 11:30pm. In between, I'm completely free. So... getting to JTree. Is there a good bus? Anyone heading there from Ventura or LA on Fri night/Sat morn that I can hitch a ride with? I'll happily pay my share of fuel.

donald949

Mar 6, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
So... details time. I wrap up in Ventura late Friday night (the 27th). I fly out of LAX on Tuesday the 31st at 11:30pm. In between, I'm completely free. So... getting to JTree. Is there a good bus? Anyone heading there from Ventura or LA on Fri night/Sat morn that I can hitch a ride with? I'll happily pay my share of fuel.

A good bus???
Ho ho ho - um no.
Aren't they getting you a rental car to get from LAX to Ventura? Dude this is California. Using public transportation is a PITA as well as practically against the law. Hmm, well strike the last, we're getting better, we now have the Metro train line, and it does connect LAX to downtown.
Alright, thinking you MIGHT find a Greyhound bus from Ventura to Twentynine Palms. There are Military bases at both towns. Try Googling Greyhound bus. But it may take you most all day. Also Google metro link for the train.
Now car pooling that will be a good idea. Just spray the whole RC website looking for partners. LAX won't be too far out of the way coming back.
Me? Sorry I'm going to be out of town that weekend. The work ski club is headed to Mammoth and the wife talked her folks (aka her mom) into watching our kids for the weekend for the first time ever. So I can't pass that up.
Have a good trip.
Don

donald949

Mar 7, 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Visiting South California in March [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang, I almost forgot. You got to visit the Great Pacific Ironworks when you in Venture. It just a store for climbing and Patagonia gear now.
http://www.patagonia.com/...onia.go?assetid=1923

Here's a link for some Pitons for sale, but has some of the Chouinard history, best I could do on short notice.
http://www.chesslerbooks.com/...em.asp?idProduct=540

gregory_huey

Mar 25, 2009, 7:36 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,
I'm looking for a partner for JT the weekend of March 28-29 - are you still looking for a partner also? I can also provide a campsite for Friday & Saturday nights. You can contact me at greghueyccc at cosmology.name or home phone is 626-396-9284.

Later,
Greg Huey

jeremy9876543

Apr 5, 2009, 2:04 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trip report?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook