Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

macblaze

Jan 25, 2009, 9:07 PM
Post #1 of 59 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Practicing Self Resuce
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I was in the gym today playing around: escaping a belay, rapping down a single rope to get to my unconscious belayer... a bunch of different things, and it occurred to me (right after I walked over and got another carabiner) that I often don't have enough gear withing reach when belaying outside.

My pack is often in the shade 15 feet away and All I have on my harness is the atc and 1 locking biner... no prussic, no webbing not even another biner. As of today I am going to make sure that I (and my partners) are thinking ahead a bit.

But I was wondering what you'all think is the minimum gear to have withing reach? I assume multipitch is less of an issue as I tend to carry an extra sling and biner even if I am just following but a single pitch... especially if its someplace easy...

coastal_climber

Jan 25, 2009, 9:53 PM
Post #2 of 59 (2310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macblaze] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It probably seems excessive to most, but I have 3 pulleys, 4 prussiks, and 2 anchor setups on my harness at all times.

>Cam

d0nk3yk0n9

Jan 25, 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #3 of 59 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How would one go about getting down to a belayer who's hurt, unconscious, or otherwise in trouble? That seems like one of those situations where if you screw up, you end up as a second victim, especially if you're on the other end of an ATC (or other non-autolocking belay).

shoo

Jan 25, 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #4 of 59 (2294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d0nk3yk0n9] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

d0nk3yk0n9 wrote:
How would one go about getting down to a belayer who's hurt, unconscious, or otherwise in trouble? That seems like one of those situations where if you screw up, you end up as a second victim, especially if you're on the other end of an ATC (or other non-autolocking belay).

The academic answer: it depends and it's complicated.

Self-rescue is not simple. There are a few literature sources to read to get some info if you're interested (and you should be), but formal courses or mentoring are the way to go.

Books include: Self-Rescue by David Fasulo, and Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills.

d0nk3yk0n9

Jan 25, 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #5 of 59 (2291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the book ideas, I'm definitely gonna start reading up on some of it. I've read some stuff, but most of what I've looked through was about rescuing others, and not as much about self-rescue. However, now that I think about it, self-rescue seems like something very, very important to know so that you aren't relying entirely on someone else for your safety.

shockabuku

Jan 25, 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #6 of 59 (2285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macblaze wrote:
So I was in the gym today playing around: escaping a belay, rapping down a single rope to get to my unconscious belayer... a bunch of different things, and it occurred to me (right after I walked over and got another carabiner) that I often don't have enough gear withing reach when belaying outside.

My pack is often in the shade 15 feet away and All I have on my harness is the atc and 1 locking biner... no prussic, no webbing not even another biner. As of today I am going to make sure that I (and my partners) are thinking ahead a bit.

But I was wondering what you'all think is the minimum gear to have withing reach? I assume multipitch is less of an issue as I tend to carry an extra sling and biner even if I am just following but a single pitch... especially if its someplace easy...

If you're on the ground belaying why would you have to escape the belay, rappel, or any of that self-rescue stuff?

shoo

Jan 25, 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #7 of 59 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

d0nk3yk0n9 wrote:
Thanks for the book ideas, I'm definitely gonna start reading up on some of it. I've read some stuff, but most of what I've looked through was about rescuing others, and not as much about self-rescue. However, now that I think about it, self-rescue seems like something very, very important to know so that you aren't relying entirely on someone else for your safety.

Self-rescue is a bit of a difficult term. It means rescue of yourself and you climbing partner(s) without the use of a third party rescue team. It doesn't just mean rescuing yourself.

d0nk3yk0n9

Jan 25, 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #8 of 59 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, thank you for correcting my misuse of the term.

macblaze

Jan 25, 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #9 of 59 (2249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
macblaze wrote:

If you're on the ground belaying why would you have to escape the belay, rappel, or any of that self-rescue stuff?

If my partner took a bad fall onto a ledge or rock and possible suffered back or neck injury and was dangling unconscious, I might think twice about lowering him, at which point somehow I have to get out of the situation.

And at this point I think anything could happen and I'm a better climber for being prepared for it...

macblaze

Jan 25, 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #10 of 59 (2244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

d0nk3yk0n9 wrote:

And I can tell you from my recent experiences, reading isn't going to cut it. Rig something up in your garage, ask the gym if they'll let you practice or spend a day practice in rock rather than climbing. Frickin knots are a lot harder when they're weighted Tongue

cannibal_hect0r

Jan 25, 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #11 of 59 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll admit my level of outdoor climbing experience is limited (hoping to change that this spring/summer due to acquisition of more gear).

I picked up a self rescue book last year and have also practiced a bit in the gym. since reading this book over and over I plan to keep two rescue loops, a pulley (metal, not nylon) 2 pieces of 7mm cordage (a waist prussik and a foot prussik) and maybe a 30ft cordalette (also 7mm) in addition to at least two non locking biner to use for bachmann hitches.
The whole set up fits nicely onto a pezl William locking biner.

as a side note, anyone take the self rescue class through yosemite's mountaineering school? i plan to do it this april/may & was wondering about feedback.

shockabuku

Jan 26, 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #12 of 59 (2212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think from a practical point you're being overly paranoid. How long can your partner survive hanging in his/her harness? Speed is important. Do you have another rope? If you don't lower him/her what can you possibly do?

Hotpies

Jan 26, 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #13 of 59 (2193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
macblaze wrote:

Maybe they've lead up past the halfway point of the rope and can't be lowered.

(This post was edited by Hotpies on Jan 26, 2009, 12:29 AM)

macblaze

Jan 26, 2009, 1:08 AM
Post #14 of 59 (2175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I think from a practical point you're being overly paranoid.

Probably Smile

taydude

Jan 26, 2009, 1:16 AM
Post #15 of 59 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why would you need a pulley? for hauling? I'd imagine for most situations you'd have enough biners and prussics to manage something if you're on multipitch and have a rack on you.

d0nk3yk0n9

Jan 26, 2009, 1:19 AM
Post #16 of 59 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

I would rather be prepared for anything than get into a situation where I could do something about it, but can't because I didn't expect it to happen.

coastal_climber

Jan 26, 2009, 4:00 AM
Post #17 of 59 (2087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:
why would you need a pulley? for hauling? I'd imagine for most situations you'd have enough biners and prussics to manage something if you're on multipitch and have a rack on you.

Rescue takes a long time - too long. Any advantage helps, pulleys included.

thej

Jan 26, 2009, 4:22 AM
Post #18 of 59 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the back of my harness i keep a 48"dynex runner, and a prussic on a locker. These NEVER come off, and are all "expendable".

While there are plenty of situations where more gear would be needed, i feel comfortable enough that these things will do the job that I don't load up too many other things.

However, I tent to have more things on my harness, even single pitching I have an ATC (even if using a grigri), a prussic, a locking biner for them all, and an extra locker.

shoo

Jan 26, 2009, 4:27 AM
Post #19 of 59 (2076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
It probably seems excessive to most, but I have 3 pulleys, 4 prussiks, and 2 anchor setups on my harness at all times.

>Cam

I really hope this is a joke.

majid_sabet

Jan 26, 2009, 6:11 AM
Post #20 of 59 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SELF RESCUE KIT List for Joe the climber
left/right jumar
prusiks ( four)
one small 8 plate
few locking biners
2 left and right aiders
2 sets of 7mm cord each 8 meter long
2 small PMP pulley
1 20 footer and 1 15 footer 1" webbing

ShibbyShane

Jan 26, 2009, 6:31 AM
Post #21 of 59 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
SELF RESCUE KIT List for Joe the climber
left/right jumar
prusiks ( four)
one small 8 plate
few locking biners
2 left and right aiders
2 sets of 7mm cord each 8 meter long
2 small PMP pulley
1 20 footer and 1 15 footer 1" webbing

There's no way the average climber is going to carry all that shit on their harness. Maybe in a mountaineering situation, while doing some multi-pitch that will seriously challenge your abilities, or while big wall climbing... Well, I guess if you think your "average climber" does all of those things regularly.

gunkiemike

Jan 26, 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #22 of 59 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

d0nk3yk0n9 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

I would rather be prepared for anything than get into a situation where I could do something about it, but can't because I didn't expect it to happen.

I think ascenders would be a bigger advantage in a dung-hits-fan situation than multiple pulleys. But prusiks work (if you're practiced with them), albeit slowly.

Guran

Jan 26, 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #23 of 59 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macblaze wrote:

You kind of answered your own question there.
Within reach, you need gear enough to safely escape the belay. (What that is might depend on actual belay of course)

Once that's done you can get to that pack 15 feet away, call/run for help or start rigging something creative.

But unless you can escape the belay, you're stuck right there.

shockabuku

Jan 26, 2009, 1:23 PM
Post #24 of 59 (1951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

d0nk3yk0n9 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

You can't be prepared for anything (everything) or you'd never get off the ground.

shockabuku

Jan 26, 2009, 1:26 PM
Post #25 of 59 (1950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Guran] Practicing Self Resuce [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guran wrote:
macblaze wrote:

You kind of answered your own question there.
Within reach, you need gear enough to safely escape the belay. (What that is might depend on actual belay of course)

Once that's done you can get to that pack 15 feet away, call/run for help or start rigging something creative.

But unless you can escape the belay, you're stuck right there.

If you're on the ground still, how is it that you can't move the 15' to get to your pack? Just let out some slack as you move and to to it. Or if you can't get to it your equipment should be right next to you anyway so you can grab it to take when you leave the ground. You people are inventing crises.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook