Forums: Climbing Information: General:
How much do you support your local access group?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: How much do you support your local access group?
I volunteer my time 15 / 30%
I give them money 19 / 38%
I do nothing 9 / 18%
I don't know of/don't have a local access organization 7 / 14%
50 total votes

carabiner96

Feb 3, 2009, 8:01 PM
Post #1 of 14 (918 views)
Shortcut

How much do you support your local access group?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I do a bit of work for our local access group, and it's surprised me how few people really put effort into a group more than just writing a check (although checks are awesome too!). Our organization does tons of work and before coming actively involved I assumed there were dozens of people behind it...when I went to my first meeting, there were about 10 people there.

So, how involved are you with your LOCAL climbing access group? (I'm not talking membership to the Access Fund here, I mean LOCAL - though they can be affiliated with the AF).

I'm also curious why, or why not, you are involved with the local crew. We all know that we owe a lot to them, and it would be interesting to see what it would take to get more people involved in giving back to their community.

And no, Pancakes is not an option!!!

(This post was edited by carabiner96 on Feb 3, 2009, 8:08 PM)

acorneau

Feb 3, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #2 of 14 (897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] How much do you support your local access group? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here in Houston we have no rocks, so no local access group. (I have a key to the gym, does that count?)

The closest "local" group is the Central Texas Climbing Committee (CTCC) and I have donated money in the past, so that's how I voted. They have trail work days but it's not very feasible for me to drive 3-5 hours to physically help. If I lived in Austin I'd help on a regular basis.

Ya do what ya can.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Feb 3, 2009, 8:45 PM)

nthusiastj

Feb 3, 2009, 8:16 PM
Post #3 of 14 (891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] How much do you support your local access group? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

But the AF IS local to me.

carabiner96

Feb 3, 2009, 8:19 PM
Post #4 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nthusiastj] How much do you support your local access group? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking more along the lines of CRAG-VT, RRGCC, etc.

But, I can see how the AF would be your local org.

coastal_climber

Feb 3, 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #5 of 14 (880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Time.

kriso9tails

Feb 3, 2009, 8:24 PM
Post #6 of 14 (874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know how to vote. I used to volunteer time, but since I've been out on the west coast I haven't dedicated all that much time to climbing let alone climbing access. What I have done, I have been paid for, so that hardly counts. I still read up on issues and try to spread the word, sign petitions etc. but I haven't attended any meeting, planted any trees, done any trail maintenance in at least a couple of years.

It should be noted that there are many local access groups that don't do the best job of making themselves accessible (ironically). It's not that people are unwilling to help, but that they don't always know where to turn or are possibly even oblivious to the existence of access issues to begin with.

My first interest with access was actually not with my local group, but with the RRGCC. Why? Because the RRGCC does a good job (in my opinion) of trying to get involved with the community. For the longest time, this could not be said at all of Ontario access. I think it's getting better as time goes on, but you can't expect community support unless you deeply involve yourself with that community.

Actually, that gives me an idea of something I can do... I've been looking for a side project anyway.

carabiner96

Feb 3, 2009, 8:25 PM
Post #7 of 14 (872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] How much do you support your local access group? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
It should be noted that there are many local access groups that don't do the best job of making themselves accessible (ironically). It's not that people are unwilling to help, but that they don't always know where to turn or are possibly even oblivious to the existence of access issues to begin with.

^^that's great feedback.

Valarc

Feb 3, 2009, 8:58 PM
Post #8 of 14 (844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my "local" group is the SCC, and I've participated in their comps, cleanups for said comps, general trail days, and also donated some bucks. The SCC does a lot of things right when it comes to getting the word out there and getting folks involved - the fact that they have outright purchased climbing areas to ensure they remain open for future generations is pretty impressive. I can't wait until they close on the purchase of yellow bluff so I can go check it out.

The SCC has heavy involvement from local gear shops, climbing gyms, and colleges, plus their connection with the massively popular triple crown comp plus a plethora of smaller comps really gets the word out too. Lots of people inadvertently support the SCC not because they are generous, but because they want to be a part of the SCC's kickass activities.

Partner neuroshock

Feb 4, 2009, 1:44 AM
Post #9 of 14 (785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've repeatedly given monies to the RRGCC (PMRP), SCC (Boat Rock, Jamestown, Yellow Bluff), CCC (Laurel Knob), Access Fund, and the American Alpine Club.

While I do want to help and I do take (i.e. climb outdoors), giving back in the form of sweat (trail days 'n such) is infeasible (or unreasonably feasible) as the crags I go to are several hours away (home crag: RRG - 7 hours away). Since I only get 1.5 days of climbing out of each weekend trip and only a handful or two of those happen per year at best, spending a full day (5-10% of my outdoor time for the year) doing trail work isn't an attractive option.

I'd like to point out that I do donate to causes that have little to no current direct bearing on me for a few reasons. I'll enumerate them here in the hopes that someone reading this will consider donating time and/or money as a result.

I've never been to Laurel Knob, Jamestown, or Yellow Bluff. I do like the idea of preservation such that if I do decide to go to one of those areas in the future (more likely, if I happen to be in the neighborhood with appropriate gear) then they will be open and available to climbing. (preservation in potential future self-interest)

I hope that if access issues at a place "local" to me (that I do use) do come up then climbers that don't use that area will still step up. (act as you wish others to act)

I also think that LCO's having a track record of positively managing climber impact and access, and having a track record of successfully preserving and managing/owning land, only helps the credibility of the LCO in the eyes of non-climbers and other organizations.

Plus, I get the warm 'n fuzzies (and the donations are usually tax-deductible, to boot!) TongueAngelic

-Mike Chung

(This post was edited by neuroshock on Feb 4, 2009, 2:11 AM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 4, 2009, 2:01 AM
Post #10 of 14 (771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroshock] How much do you support your local access group? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do the cleanup days for the Gunks Climbers Coalition(GCC), the Mohonk Preserve and the Adopt-a-Crag for Access Fund.

Also trailwork on Sundays during the season, but that's not for an access group.... it just helps WITH our physical access(erosion containment, safer trails for rescue evac if needed, and inadvertent education/awareness increasing of passersby).

Money, I haven't done so much with. I paid a year's dues to the Access Fund once, but the last time I bought a book at an event which included a year's membership. And I have given ad hoc to the GCC when they have fundraisers.

The volunteer thing is always an issue for many organizations. It's just not something a lot of people think about much. I think some people worry they can't give enough of their time, or they don't see how they can really help out with the amount they feel able to offer. Of course there are lots of other reasons people don't volunteer.

Some people get upset that others don't volunteer, but.... it's only hurting oneself to get that negative energy. Those who volunteer do it because they get pleasure from it, or feel an obligation on some level. I say - if you've been volunteering and find yourself getting angry at those who don't - maybe it's time to step away from that particular service.

For those who want to help but don't know how to find out how to volunteer, just ask around! The rangers can tell you, the old timers know, the Access Fund has contact info for all their area groups and you can also do an internet search for your area + "volunteer," and that will get you somewhere. If you know someone who's doing FA's or developing an area, they may very well appreciate the help too, with trailwork, belay slave and what not.

Hennessey

Feb 4, 2009, 2:51 AM
Post #11 of 14 (745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My local crag is a Birdsboro quarry. I usually don't have much free time on the weekends to volunteer so sometimes I donate a little money. I donate epoxy I take from my job and steel cables they use to make makeshift bridges to cross the creeks to get to the crag.

I recently got married and instead of giving out stupid ass weddindg favors that people just throw away, me and wifey took all the money we would have spent on favors and donated it to the access fund.

johnwesely

Feb 4, 2009, 2:59 AM
Post #12 of 14 (736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I give a monthly donation to the SCC. They really bust their buts to preserve access. I have never done a trail day though because I am never available.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 4, 2009, 2:23 PM
Post #13 of 14 (686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I voted that i do nothing, according to your poll options, but I don't believe that is entirely true. First of all, I have given money to both the Access Fund and local access groups (The Western Mass Climbers Coalition). I am not a current member of the Access Fund but most likely will be when I can remember to send that envelope back.

As far as cleanup days or trail goes, I have not been involved in one, not because I don't want to but because they have just not alligned with my schedule or I had planned a trip somewhere else. I usually only get to climb every other weekend and one week-long trip during the summer due to parental duties, so I am quite selfish with my time.

Another thing you have to realize is that a lot of people do donate time and money to organizations that means something to them. People only have so much time and so much money so who are we to criticize where that is spent. It's all about priorities. Climbing is, after all, a selfish endeavor (albeit a healthy one), so what would you say to someone who does not give a dime or an ounce of energy to access groups, but gives to an environmental organization and spends time in soup kitchens serving food to the homeless?

Josh

petsfed

Feb 4, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #14 of 14 (667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I pay my taxes.

Seriously, the FS manager of the Medicine Bow Recreation area basically calls up the most prominent locals and says "Are you folks having any trouble? My boss needs to know if we need to change our climber management plan. So, are you being mismanaged?" Pretty sweet gig for a major climbing area.

I am an Access Fund member, but supporting local AF efforts doesn't really win me anything. I know that my money goes to places that have legitimate access problems, so not anywhere in Wyoming.

I do participate in the annual crag cleanup at Vedauwoo, and do the same at the ICF in Lander, and (when I'm not busy) volunteer at the Horsetooth Hang in Ft. Collins. Mostly, I'm a "big event" kind of guy.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Feb 4, 2009, 3:37 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook