Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dps

Feb 3, 2009, 8:27 PM
Post #26 of 37 (707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] Cilo 40L vs 45L? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The 40L cinches down quite tight, here is a picture of my friend using one on as a second on the Petit Grepon in Colorado:

I think that the 40L would be a great pack to start with and then if you can get some more cash, eventually get a 30L. The 45L is an awesome alpine pack, but I think the 40L is a better all-around pack.

Partner hosh

Feb 3, 2009, 8:36 PM
Post #27 of 37 (698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IsayAutumn wrote:
Please allow me to ask a question that will really expose my ignorance. I am looking to save some money and to therefore buy a multi-purpose pack that I can take to the rock crags to do some multi-pitch trad during the warm seasons. If possible, I would also like this bag to double as an alpine pack for 1-2 day adventures on alpine routes.

I have been looking at the Cilo 30 and 40B packs, but I'm just not sure they would measure up at the rock crags. Is there anyone out there with experience climbing moderate 5.10 trad routes with a 40L bag on their back? I am just wondering how the Cilo bags would hold up on rock, and if anyone has used them for rock and ice/alpine routes?

Also, for a crag bag, is the 40L too big? It would be nice to have a bag that can do it all, but I'm just not sure this is possible. Whoa is me!

30L
http://blog.cilogear.biz/?p=169
http://blog.cilogear.biz/?p=374
http://blog.cilogear.biz/?p=440
http://blog.cilogear.biz/?p=361

40L vs 40B
http://blog.cilogear.biz/?p=297

I personally REALLY like my 30L. I don't have a 40L or the 40B, but one day, maybe the 40B...?

so do you need the 30 or the 40? It depends on how much you'll need for the 1-2 day alpine trip...

hosh.

dps

Feb 3, 2009, 8:44 PM
Post #28 of 37 (691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] Cilo 40L vs 45L? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After using the 30L pack for awhile now, I really just don't see getting bivy gear AND climbing gear in the 30L for a long approach + route. What I will do it toss my 30L in the bottom or side of my 45L/60L pack and then use it for climbing.

I'm damn impressed at anyone who can cram all that shit in a 30L pack and not have half of it strapped to the outside for a 2+ day route/approach.

I would definitely do a 2+ day alpine route with the 30L where I already had my harness on and gear on me...especially if we are trying to blast the route.

1 day alpine routes, no problem, take the 30L pack and suffer a bit.

retro

Feb 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #29 of 37 (671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks dps!
That was the type of specific info I was looking for. Less weight, a little less expensive and carries a bit better...sound like the one I will go for.

Isayautumn...I think the 30 would be perfect for what you are describing. I have a 20L that I use specifically for multi-pitch rock and it works great, but I can only carry my approach shoes, small guide book (if needed), bottle of water, small snacks, headlamp and that is about it...bare essentials. I wish I had gotten the 30 as it cinches down to nothing and gives you the option of carrying a wind jacket or fleece in the fall and early spring...when the bugs and tourists are not out yet!!! Wink

retro

Feb 3, 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #30 of 37 (662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dps] Cilo 40L vs 45L? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dps wrote:
I
2) I never use the zipper pocket on my V1 40L, so why not get the weight savings?

Dumb question coming your way!
What did you do with your small stuff, like headlamps, cliff bars, compass, etc....when you used the pack sans the lid?

Grammy

dps

Feb 3, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #31 of 37 (655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [retro] Cilo 40L vs 45L? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

retro wrote:
dps wrote:
I
2) I never use the zipper pocket on my V1 40L, so why not get the weight savings?

Dumb question coming your way!
What did you do with your small stuff, like headlamps, cliff bars, compass, etc....when you used the pack sans the lid?

Grammy

The newer packs have a zip pocket on the framesheet flap (at least my 30 and 45 liter packs do), which is where I put sunglasses, tethers, gu, and map. I usually just shove the rest of the stuff in my belay jacket pocket, or in a small sil-nylon stuff sack.

retro

Feb 3, 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #32 of 37 (650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dps wrote:
The newer packs have a zip pocket on the framesheet flap (at least my 30 and 45 liter packs do), which is where I put sunglasses, tethers, gu, and map. I usually just shove the rest of the stuff in my belay jacket pocket, or in a small sil-nylon stuff sack.

Yep....gotcha!
SOLD!!!

dps

Feb 4, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #33 of 37 (613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

retro wrote:
dps wrote:

Yep....gotcha!
SOLD!!!

Awesome. You won't regret it!

retro

Feb 4, 2009, 5:24 PM
Post #34 of 37 (604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dps wrote:
Awesome. You won't regret it!

Well, I loved the V2 40L and my 60L is my favorite pack of all time....can never go wrong with Cilo!!!

Thanks Wink

retro

Feb 5, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #35 of 37 (574 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn...i wish this CCW pack was junk so I could just do away with it...but it is just so bomber!! It's like breaking up with a girlfriend...that you actually liked!!! Cool

btreanor

Feb 5, 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #36 of 37 (569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Retro,

I felt the same way. It's a point of pride with me that I use gear until it finally, irrevocably, dies. I'm good with a speedy stitcher, plastidip, etc. so this generally takes a long, long time. When I got my first Cilogear pack, my CCW Chernobyl was ailing, but not dead (lots of holes with patches, one of the shoulder straps finally giving way, etc.). I thought about just making due with the pack for another few years, but ultimately decided to treat myself to a new pack for a big trip that was coming up. CCW is so great that I also thought about upgrading to the CCW Chaos. But I ended up taking a chance with Cilogear.

I have nothing, nothing, bad to say about CCW and their packs; it's a fine company and makes a solid product. However, I don't regret for a second going with Cilogear; the 40B is without a doubt the best pack I have owned or used (and as I guide I used to demo lots of different packs) in 25+ years of climbing.

Brian

(This post was edited by btreanor on Feb 5, 2009, 4:12 PM)

retro

Feb 5, 2009, 4:35 PM
Post #37 of 37 (556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [btreanor] Cilo 40L vs 45L? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know exactly what you mean Brian. Living here in North Conway, there is a sense of pride that goes along with using the locat gear, but I do know that the 40B gives me greater carrying capacity, supporting a great company, more comfortable carrying, and a real good climbing pack. No regrets...

Here we go!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook